x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

JLime - Linux for hp Jornada 620/660/680/690

1 2 3 4 5
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 2:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi Kristoffer, congrats!!

I tried the earlier builds of jlime and it worked just fine on the 680e. Only vibes was that the bootloader was kinda long to load, not its fault, but the 133Mhz SH3 processor that is slow ...

I also would like to suggest that there be a default shrek release that has a modern browser package installed already. I'm not sure whether minimo or dilo is a better choice, but if a browser can be made to work out of the box, I would say there would be a much much higher takeup rate, even by normal users!

What do you think?

I do not have the 680e with me right now, but as soon as I get my hands on one again, I'll load it up. Meanwhile, 680ers, load it up and bring it out for a spin! As always, remember to backup your data as the bootloader basically swipe the RAM space.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 4:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2005-05-26 8:32 PM

I also would like to suggest that there be a default shrek release that has a modern browser package installed already. I'm not sure whether minimo or dilo is a better choice, but if a browser can be made to work out of the box, I would say there would be a much much higher takeup rate, even by normal users!

you're right. i'd be one of the "normal users".

do i remember right that dillo is fast but not so compatible with today's browser standards while minimo is slower (but just how slow???) and knows more.. how much more?
 Top of the page
Idoru Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 5:59 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

The biggest drawback to Jlime I see is the need to have a desktop linux system available to install Jlime onto a Jornada. That literally leaves out 95% of the desktop community. If the Jlime team can figure out some kind of install routine that can be used by the Wintel monopoly they would really see some serious numbers adopting Jlime.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 6:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

what about knoppix? cd install, or more precisely, you don't have to install anything. just download it off the net and burn it on a cd and you're ready to go linux it's quite a fun
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 8:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

ya, the NetBSD installer for MIPs HPC did a good job! Once into NetBSD, it basically mounted the CF card and allowed the user to partition the remaining unpartn space or create totally new partn setup through the install boot.

So I managed to install NetBSD onto the MP790 without a separate linux machine altogether.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 11:33 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Wow! I had not seen this thread. Very.... Excited... Why did I not see this thread??? Holy Gazebo! Wait... I need to calm down. Uh I am suffering from lack of sleep. I am very happy, though I need to sleep, and then come back and re-read this thread. Then wake up, I then need to calmly and rationally look into Jlime and and and...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 7:02 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No more coffee or sugar for Yoldering today.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 9:56 AM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-05-27 5:02 AM

yes, definitely not! ... someone bring in the jacket. The padded one in white color ...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 10:09 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Snappy! - 2005-05-27 8:56 AM

C:Amie - 2005-05-27 5:02 AM

yes, definitely not! ... someone bring in the jacket. The padded one in white color ...

LOL after reading my crazy-talk….
Yeah sorry! I had a rough week. But it is over till next Tuesday. I like holidays!
I’m taking a Cellular and Molecular Biology class this summer, 4 hours long, after working 12 hours.
I try and learn as much as I can. I don’t really need to take it. I just like to learn. So for the next 6 weeks you’ll have to forgive any ranting/nonsense/whatever else….
 Top of the page
Idoru Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 7:03 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

cmonex - 2005-05-26 6:03 PM

what about knoppix? cd install, or more precisely, you don't have to install anything. just download it off the net and burn it on a cd and you're ready to go linux it's quite a fun

Thanks for the tip. I just booted a Knoppix CD and discovered how much fun Linux can be!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-28 10:58 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Also http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
Pretty cool 50MB Linux live. I have used on Home PC and at work, I have it on a USB flash drive, and can save all other apps I work on. It boots from USB, Cool Would be a good go between to JLime I think, unless I'm wrong.
 Top of the page
Justaguest
Justaguest Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 4:15 PM
#
Have looked at JLime for some time - congrats on the gold release. Having use OPIE on Zaurus PDAs (SL5500), I can attest to how well the interface works, and the flexibility this will afford the Jornadas. However, having an MP780 prompts me to ask if there's ever been any interest in porting JLime over to the MIPS architecture?

I know about the NetBSD hpcmips project, but it's still got a fair way to go (not very good APM, crashes, having to "roll your own" binaries all the time vs ipks, etc). I would prefer a stable platform/interface - e.g. JLime.

Any idea if this will ever happen? Users of NEC Mobilepros and IBM Z50s might want to chime in...

J
 Top of the page
donavan
donavan Page Icon Posted 2005-06-04 1:56 PM
#
So does any one know how fast Jlime is ... is there an increase or decrease in performance? (increase one would hope)
 Top of the page
debiso
debiso Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 3:26 PM
#
Hi!

Linux on Jornada!!!! I Want it now!!! I visited the web site and it is very confusing. Can anyone give me some advice??

Thanks!
Joe
 Top of the page
zmerch
zmerch Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 1:28 PM
#
Not sure if this is heresy or not, but I used to run MicroWare's OS-9 on my (now ancient) Tandy Color Computer 2/3 computers -- very nice, small footprint. Well, RadiSys now owns MicroWare, and they have an OS-9 available for SH-3 processors... anyone anywhere know if it'll run on one of these? Just to let you know, RadiSys states that OS-9 for SH3, with networking and a graphical interface requires 1M of RAM! (CLI only with TCP/IP networking only needs 512K)

I love linux, but OS-9 is designed for a lot smaller memory/CPU footprint, as they have versions that run in as little as 64K.

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9