x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

installing netbsd on jornada 720, your experiences please

moises Page Icon Posted 2006-09-24 4:11 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

after looking at all the technical linix jargon on other sites i've decided on just asking what STEPS you guys took to get the os up and running on your units. thank you.
 Top of the page
carld Page Icon Posted 2006-09-24 4:23 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Not exactly the same, but I did install NetBSD on my MP780. I would expect the procedure is the same.

Basically I used a Linux machine to partition my CF card using fdisk. I put the boot loader and boot kernel on the Win Partition and booted it up. I went through the setup routine to create the NetBSD partition on the rest of the CF card and downloaded and installed NetBSD via ftp over my network card.

It was really fairly simple once I slogged my way through it a couple of times. The NetBSD installer handles most of the work.
 Top of the page
clanmain
clanmain Page Icon Posted 2006-09-25 4:44 AM
#
carld - 2006-09-25 12:23 AM

Not exactly the same, but I did install NetBSD on my MP780. I would expect the procedure is the same.

Basically I used a Linux machine to partition my CF card using fdisk. I put the boot loader and boot kernel on the Win Partition and booted it up. I went through the setup routine to create the NetBSD partition on the rest of the CF card and downloaded and installed NetBSD via ftp over my network card.

It was really fairly simple once I slogged my way through it a couple of times. The NetBSD installer handles most of the work.
where you get FTP-installer for J720?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-09-25 7:41 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

720degrees seriously is not that hard to set up, you just need to devote a bit of time to it.

www.720degrees.org - the instructions are laid out well for you all, I do not see why people are having problems. Perhaps they are not actually reading the instructions?
 Top of the page
carld Page Icon Posted 2006-09-25 8:05 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

clanmain - 2006-09-25 4:44 AM

where you get FTP-installer for J720?

This is probably where you need to go to get started

NetBSD/hpcarm

But by all means take a look at 720degrees Linux, if what you're after is a unix style setup and not NetBSD specifically.
 Top of the page
moises Page Icon Posted 2006-09-26 8:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

thanks, i was hoping there was an easier way. say like, just downloading a "netbsd.exe" file onto my desktop, then moving it to my pda sync folder and then download it to my j720. i'm extremly new to this and i will pay attention to all of your advice.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-09-26 11:07 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Well, if you wait a bit, the Jlime team is working on an installer just like that. We will implement it in our distribution after they release it. However, I would suggest getting a bit used to Linux with a live cd anyways, just so that you are not completely lost when you use the distro.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10