x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Satisfication with NetBook Pro?

ozone Page Icon Posted 2005-02-19 9:57 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi... first time post here, but regular over at Brighthand.

Can I ask how current owners of the Psion Teklogix NetBook Pro like their machine? Is is a suitable for the individual user, as opposed to a commercial use? I'm looking for longer term perspectives and possible tradeoffs.

One thing I'm very interested in finding out is how good it is for standing around and taking notes. For example, if I'm touring a facility, is it comfortable to hold it book style and handwrite notes and draw diagrams?

Has anybody been able to broadcast a PowerPoint show from it?

I would consider myself a non-expert in terms of programming WinCE.

Thanks in advance.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-07 7:24 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

LOOK around the site first please.
 Top of the page
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-03-07 9:41 PM
#
I had been lucky enough to review and own a number of HPCs and I have to tell you that I LOVED the Psion NetbookPro! Here is my review:

http://smartmobileassets.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?,b=news,v=display...

Actually, considering the screen is SVGA the NBP is quite small. You certainly can hold it like a book and read quite easily. Because the screen swings in at the base there is a part of the spine of the NBP that you can hold onto comfortably.

As long as you can swing the rather high price I would saw GO FOR IT! You'll like it.
 Top of the page
ozone Page Icon Posted 2005-03-13 12:35 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-03-07 7:24 PM

I did... and I did again, doing a search of the entire HPC Factor site. I came up with about 15 hits. Of these, most mentioned the NetBook Pro in passing as a phrase, one indicated that the user was "... very pleased..." and another dealt with a technical problem with the SD slot. I was hoping that users could provide a long term pros versus cons opinions, especially considering real world, daily usage.

If you know of particular threads, please list them. Thanks.
 Top of the page
Maul
Maul Page Icon Posted 2005-03-13 2:26 AM
#
ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-03-07 7:24 PM

You know this the third post I've seen from you complaining about newcomer questions. Get off your pedestal and let people ask their questions without being put down. Admins please delete replies that serve no other purpose than to alienate new members. Are they repeat questions? Sure, is it worth turning people off from this site to make a point? I would hope not.
 Top of the page
Markus
Markus Page Icon Posted 2005-04-06 5:58 PM
#
Simply?

AMAZING!!!
 Top of the page
halljames Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 6:49 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have had a few days now to play around with my Netbook Pro.

Overall I am very pleased with it. It is a joy to use and coming from an IPAQ 4700 it has taken a bit of getting used to. Some thoughts on it.

Battery life is amazing, although I am unsure how the calibrating works. I have had a few instances of the battery having lots of juice, but the reading indicating a 0%. The only way to correct this so far that I can tell has been to Hard Reset the device. I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong, but at the moment, I am going to try and do a proper calibrate of the battery. I believe to do this, I need to flatten the battery fully, then fully charge it, and then flattern it again so it works out how long it lasts. I shall see how I get on.

Coming from a Pocket PC background, I was disappointed to find that software is relatively hard to find for CE.NET 4.2. I have tried numerouse Pocket PC programs and failed to get any of them to work due to erros about not all components being installed. I had a quick go doing some DLL tricks, but had no success and didnt want to mess to much, so I have given up. Luckily, all my main programs that I use on a day to day basis are supported (see below for a full list).

Syncronisation with On Schedule has been a bit problematic. My first problem arose when I let it sync with default settings and synced my Sent Items folder, which had about 2000 items in it. The device itself seemed to take ages to bring up the sent items folder. I stopped it syncing but could find no way to remove the sent itesm folder from the device so I had to manualy delete all 2000 messages. Took ages. I have also had a few times when syncing has stopped working, but this generaly happened after I had some hard resets and restored from a Total Recal backup. This must knock the desktop out of sync or something.

I was dissapointed that my device just came with the RS2332 interface for active sync considering it now supposedly supports USB activesync, but to be honest, it seems to sync and an acceptable speed, and I can always Wirelessly sync if need to. I got a Cisco 350 Wireless card of ebay for £20 it had CE 4.2 drivers and it worked a treat. It did not automaticaly pick up access points, but by enetring the info directly, it worked flawlessly.

My recommendations so far would be that this device is not ideal for someone who is not prepared to mess around. For me, I think I have had enough play with it to now know what I am doing (hopefully) and I wont have any more crashes (famous last words). It is now my main portable unit, and my iPAQ is now simply my GPS unit for in the car.

I hope this has been helpful, and I hope I have not put anyone off. The device is truely amazing, great screen, battery life, keyboard. The CE.NET OS is a joy to use, seems much better than Windows Mobile and its great to have an instant on OS that looks like proper Windows with a proper taskbar etc.

The Software I have installed on my Netbook is as follows.

CE.NET 4.2 OS
Pocket On-Schedule (supplied PIM, looks just like proper Outlook)
BetaPlayer (for movies and media, Note that the Psion is not up to much for playing video )
GAPI Setup for HPC (I installed this but I have not really used it yet)
HPC Notes (this has been superseeded by PhatNotes, but I was able to download the older HPC compatible version of their ftp server and my Phatnotes serial worked )
iSilo HPC (great document viewer)
Primer (fairly decent PDF viewer, but is very slow)
Cisco Wireless Card Drivers and Utils
NS Basic (I fancy having a go at some development on the device itself)
CEdit (a great Program Code Editor)
Softmaker Planmaker (Excellent Spreadsheet - has to be seen to be believed)
Softmaker Textmaker (Excellent Wordprocessor - has to be seen to be believed)
SpreadCE (comes supplied, spreadsheet)
Conduits Pocket Artist (the closest thing to having Adobe Photoshop with you at all times)
Conduits Pocket Slides (Full blown presentation editor, supports Powerpoint)
Resco File Explorer (great File Browser and Registry Editor)
Resco Photo Viewer (great image viewer and slideshower).

I think that is about it.

Some software that I really need but can't get to work

Cerience Repligo Viewer
A Macromedia Flash Player (the PPC version does not work)
CHM ebook reader (I am having to convert them to iSilo at the moment)
eWallet ( I cant find a version that works on the Netbook, I am a registered user of the PPC version 4)
Decent Handrwiiten note tacking software (such as PhatPad)

My Biggest gripe is I need a decent database application. I am a user of Kaione SprintDB which allows you to create a database, create forms, queries and macros. But it doesn't work, boo hoo. I tried Visual CE but couldnt figure it out. The options seem limited in that I could not find out how to open up and existing databse stored on a CF Card and it seemed very sort of, bizarr.

Hope these ramblings will be of some help to someone.

Regards

James Hall
http://www.hallstudios.co.uk
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 5:14 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

halljames - 2005-04-07 11:49 AM

I tried Visual CE but couldnt figure it out. The options seem limited in that I could not find out how to open up and existing databse stored on a CF Card and it seemed very sort of, bizarr.

Visual CE is a good program and it work especially well on your larger screen. Regarding the location of databases, if it's the Personal (Lite) Edition you tried it does not support loading databases from CF card - you need to put the database on the NetBook itself (eg My Documents). Hope this helps.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 11