x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Lindarose84 Page Icon Posted 2005-02-23 12:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

hi all. i just recently got an intermec and playing videos has been an absolute pain. i can't get anything to work. i got tmpenc to encode video's but i can't seem to get it to make video files smaller (down to say ~40mb)- it only seems to do conversion (or am i mistaken)? does anyone know a good encoder that can get the job done? also anyone know of file converters cuz when i convert wma files to mpeg they turn out to be 4x the original size which obviously makes minimizing file size an even bigger hassle. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Linda
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-23 3:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

WMA is a streaming codec, where as MPEG was designed for target device use rather than streaming delivery. Hence the file sizes are radically different.

The best encoder is PocketDVD.ca's Pocket Video. We have a exclusivereview of the Pocket DVD / Video suite coming next month.

When it comes to video really there is a certain point when you just cannot squash down a file of a certain length any smaller.Depending on what you are trying to convert - 2hour video file may be... forget 40MB, not for something that long.
 Top of the page
Lindarose84 Page Icon Posted 2005-02-23 6:32 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the reply C:Amie. Yeah, I'm actually just trying to convert a tiny 22 minute 30 mb Seinfeld episode from wma to mpeg and I would like the file size to stay relatively the same but I keep getting 200mb mpeg files. I'll go ahead and try the PocketDVD program and see if I can find some success with it.

Thanks again
Linda
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-23 6:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

As mentioned above, I'm working on a review of pD / pV for next month, along with players. I'm also on the beta team for the application - I nagged enough that they have specially added H/PC for us here in the Handheld PC community. Even have optimisations specific for HVGA's, which is greay... they have been great!

To keep a roughly the same size file you want to look at converting into DIVx on the H/PC, that is the next best supported codec to WMV (which itself isn't supported of course) .
DIV's will be larger than a WMV of the same dimensions and quality though; generally speaking.

Stay Tuned!
... and welcome to the forum.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-23 7:30 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Is it the Festivus one? It's been a goal for me to get that on my jornada, but, I never did get that video capture card...
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Currently betaplayer (DIVX) is the best option for ce devices, and I just got a NEC 900 a few days ago, mainly for testing video on it. The DSTN screens are however the main concern for video playback on hpc devices.

The current version of PocketDVD/Video do have some optimizing for handhelds, but I'm doing my apsolute best to get additional adjustments put in to get the best results.

There is also testing going on with WMV files on hpc's, but no good results as of yet.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 11:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I do not use movie players much. But I hope this help:
If the LCD is giving too much ghosting, perhaps limiting the maxium frame rate can reduce the effects?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.157 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10