x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New Sigmarion 3 language patch/MUI

1 2 3 4
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-10-23 7:09 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

So? Do you really access the start menu from the windows folder that often?
I just know what the folders are by their location. Of course it helps to have spent the last 5 days digging through the OS...

Edited by Jax184 2006-10-23 7:10 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-10-23 7:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Jax184, if you need/would like anything from me or the site, please let me know and we will see what we can do to help your project.

Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-10-23 7:26 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'll be putting together a Sigmarion page on my website when the project's done, but it would reach more Sig owners if the patch information were posted here as well. A news entry and all that. Else few people will know it exists.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-10-23 7:35 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

it would help me, which is why I started writing it. But it wouldn't help me that much, which is why I didn't see it through to completion

If it would help, I'll finish it off.

Are you going to be releasing the files to build this, as I'd love to have a play...
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-10-23 7:43 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

When I compile the next beta, I'll also put all the files from it into a folder so you can dig through them. Don't bother extracting them from the current beta, as it's got a few bugs.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-10-23 7:47 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

marvellous, cheers
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-10-23 8:21 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Keep us informed
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-23 10:24 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

chiark - 2006-10-23 11:18 AM

Oh, another thing! I started writing an application to keep the japanese and english "start menu" directory in sync. If you want to include this, let me know.

didnt takwu solve that in a very simple way? (hexediting ceshell mui)

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3879
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 5:34 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If anyone's wondering what happened to me, I'm still working on the project.
I'm just being greatly slowed down by the fast that windows and all the programs for it are near universally incapable of handling japanese text. In the case of resouce editors, it truely is universal. I need to enter some japanese folder names into the MUIs, but every time I try it gets garbled.
If I ever figure out how to fix that, the language pack will resume development.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 6:55 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I know it's nasty, but could just using a hex editor do it for you?
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 12:00 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The reason you can't completely convert it into english (like some system directories and the system error messages) is because for some odd reason Windows CE 4.1 will not load the an MUI for coredll.dll no matter what you do. The OS does not seem to even let you replace coredll.dll with a copy shadowed in RAM. It still seems to always use the ROM one! Even when you replace it with an english one, all of the coredll.dll dialogs like the file dialogs and system error messages are still in Japanese. This seems to be a bug of some kind because useing MUIs with coredll seems to work just fine in Handheld PC 2000 and Windows CE 4.2.
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 8:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

We've established that.
My latest problem is the fact that I can't edit the MUIs for ANY files to add in japanese folder names, as none of the resource editors can properly handle japanese characters. They replace them with eather a string of question marks, or something resembling wingdings.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 8:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

chiark - 2006-10-31 6:55 AM

I know it's nasty, but could just using a hex editor do it for you?

did you see my last post in this thread? curious
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 9:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Jax184 - 2006-11-01 2:21 AM

We've established that.
My latest problem is the fact that I can't edit the MUIs for ANY files to add in japanese folder names, as none of the resource editors can properly handle japanese characters. They replace them with eather a string of question marks, or something resembling wingdings.

actually i think chiark's idea would work, copy the strings in hex, did you try it? is there anything more to it?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 12:55 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah haha... I sorta disappointed chiark when I announced and released my fix on the Programs menu (just the Programs folder under the Start Menu, not the rest). It solved the problem of getting the new shortcuts to show under that menu.

You can still use that MUI file posted on that thread, but I think it is already included in the lastest MUI release by matrixcore.

Jax,
yeah I'm afraid you might need to do it the hard way and use hex edit. Basically you can use Notepad (in XP) and save the Japanese text in a Unicode file. Then Hex edit that file to find the hex code of the characters you want (be sure to ignore the extra bytes at the start and end of the file though). Finally replace any text you want in the MUI file using the hex code.

But it's not always so simple: in some cases you might need to deal with some zero bytes in the character strings, otherwise the MUI won't be interpreted correctly. I did write a "hack log" for those hex edits I made, and sent it to matrixcore... Not sure if I still have that file though If I can find it it should be some good examples of what you need to do.

*edit* Here it is! The not-so-secret hack notes of those MUI files. It's written in partial geek, so those of you not geeky enough don't worry if it doesn't make much sense

Edited by takwu 2006-11-01 1:03 AM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mui hack notes.txt (1KB - 10 downloads)
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 10