x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux on HP Jornada 820 - almost there!

Lucidan Page Icon Posted 2006-11-18 7:54 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I followed the steps on this page: http://jornada820.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Quick%20Installati...

....and I found it was incomplete.

By the way, I use Ubuntu Edgy (6.10).

1)Partitioning the CF-card was not as easy as they say. First, I got in trouble with permissions. Ubuntu requires sudo. So:
sudo umount /dev/sda (check that it actually IS sda on your PC!)
sudo fdisk /dev/sda (to create new partition table.)

!!!! When you want to write this new partition table, EJECT (right mouse button) the CF-card!!! Otherwise you'll get a 'device busy' error.

There. If all went well, you'll have two new partitions on the CF card. One 16MB FAT16 DOS partition, and one 900 MB or so (depends on CF-card size) EXT2 linux partition. BUT you'll have to do the following also:
mkdosfs /dev/sda1 (make DOS filesystem on first partition)
mke2fs /dev/sda2 (make linux filesystem on second partition)
Otherwise the partitions will not be recognized.

So far for the partitioning.

Copy hpcbootm.exe and j820 onto the dos partition. No problem there.

Next, you'll have to extract TAR.bz2 and zaurus-debian-base-v0.17.tgz (in that order) onto the linux partition.
I used:
cd /media/usbdisk-1 (how the ext2-linux partition on the CF-card is mounted could differ, in my case it's called usbdisk-1)
sudo tar xvjf /home/myname/Desktop/TAR.bz2 (or wherever you downed the TAR.bz2 file)
sudo tar xvfz /home/myname/Desktop/zaurus-debian-base-v0.17.tgz

All that goes well.

Now for big problem number one:

"Boot into wince, start hpcbootm and select j820 as kernel. Boot linux.
ext2 partition is automatically mounted at /mnt/linux"

Yeah. Doesn't work. it DOES boot, but then asks for user name and password, which nobody knows. So you won't be able to log into your Jornada and complete the rest of the installation.

So here's how I solved that:
1)Deleted linux partition from CF-card.
2)Booted j820 kernel with HPCbootm.exe as supposed to
3)the deleted linux partition will NOT boot (duh) which is good
4)you'll end up with busybox.
5)take out CF-card (leave jornada ON) and make new linux partition and extract both files again (just like before)
6)put CF-card back in jornada and manually mount linux partition to /mnt/linux
mount -t ext2 /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 /mnt/linux (make sure to get the path right)

From there you can follow the remaining steps:

Unpack kernel modules:
cd /mnt/linux
tar jxvf /modules.tar.bz2

Change root:
chroot /mnt/linux /bin/bash

Update environment:
source /etc/profile

Change root password:
passwd

Change ownership on modules
chown -R root.root /lib/modules

All goes well up to the last step:

Load modules:
update-modules (won't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dammit!)
modprobe usb1.00-ts
cat usb1.00-ts >> /etc/modules

Problem: update-modules command not found. I don't know how to solve this. Rebooting got me this screen:
--------------------------------------------------------
Debian GNU/Linux testing/unstable j820 tty1

j820 login:root
Password:(whatever you changed it to with previous passwd command)
Linux j820 2.4.31-j820 #1 Mon jul 25 05:26:37 EDT 2005 armv41 GNU/Linux
j820:~#
--------------------------------------------------------------

The ls command gives this result:

---------------------------------------------------------------
j820:~#ls
OOPS XDPY cnt
j820:~#
----------------------------------------------------------------

So there's no root file system......now what?

I'm almost there! Any suggestions?

Edited by Lucidan 2006-11-18 7:54 AM
 Top of the page
Lucidan Page Icon Posted 2006-11-18 12:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Solved the no-root-file-system-problem.......I simply typed:
chroot /
and there it was.

So I began where I left off: the last three steps.

"Load modules:
update-modules
modprobe usb1.00-ts
cat usb1.00-ts >> /etc/modules "

Here goes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
j820:/# update-modules
Architecture-specific modutils not found, using defaults
j820:/#
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmmmm......I hope defaults are O.K.
Two more steps to go.

j820:/# modprobe usb1.00-ts
modprobe: Can't locate module usb1.00-ts
j820:/#
Oh....so that doesn't work. So I guess there's no USB support then.....(Jornada 820 is one of few with a USB-port)
So I can skip the last step as well.

There.....I have followed ALL the steps in the instruction. So now what? Is it supposed to be command-line only?

edit: Well....at least it is succesfsully running Bash v2.05. Maybe someone finds this thread useful....

Edited by Lucidan 2006-11-18 12:15 PM
 Top of the page
Lucidan Page Icon Posted 2006-11-19 6:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

So.....does anyone know how to get the Debian GUI going from here?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-11-20 12:30 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

You should always unmount a drive from the system before modifying its partitions. Otherwise you are telling Linux to modify the drive while you are using a filesystem formatted to the previous partitioning scheme.

Man, you were supposed to copy your own /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow before booting the card. Otherwise yeah, you are using someone else's user account setup. They should have blanked the password before, but obviously this is not a user-ready setup. You could also crack the hash if you had to..

Your chown is also wrong, hopefully that is just a typo on the post. It should be chown -R root:root /lib/modules/ (with a : between root, not a period).

I remember there was a trick to fix update-modules, but that was a while ago. Snickers fixed the problem by debootstrapping a new base to make 720degrees. You should probably use that on your 820 - it should all work the same, as the actual drivers are in the kernel. The base is just pure Debian - yours is probably very outdated (you seem to have many woody release problems - maybe even potato). If you want usb support, get the kernel patch and compile it statically in, rather than using a module. You can avoid any strange Debian module problems that way (which would be solved by using an adequate base).

Debian GUI? You mean X? Try getting a copy of our Kdrive from the repository, it should run. But I did screw up tslib, so touchscreen will not work (then again, I guess the touchscreen on the 820 would require a different driver anyways). But the actual Kdrive compile is nice and clean; it should run well.

Good luck with that..and how about some pictures?

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-11-20 12:35 AM
 Top of the page
Lucidan Page Icon Posted 2006-11-20 12:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-11-20 12:30 AM

You should always unmount a drive from the system before modifying its partitions. Otherwise you are telling Linux to modify the drive while you are using a filesystem formatted to the previous partitioning scheme.

Yeah....I know, but unmounting alone didn't help for some reason, I had to click 'eject' as well (just before writeing partition table)....

Man, you were supposed to copy your own /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow before booting the card. Otherwise yeah, you are using someone else's user account setup. They should have blanked the password before, but obviously this is not a user-ready setup. You could also crack the hash if you had to..

Oh. Well......at least it kept me off the streets

Your chown is also wrong, hopefully that is just a typo on the post. It should be chown -R root:root /lib/modules/ (with a : between root, not a period).

I'll try that first thing when I get home!

I remember there was a trick to fix update-modules, but that was a while ago. Snickers fixed the problem by debootstrapping a new base to make 720degrees. You should probably use that on your 820 - it should all work the same, as the actual drivers are in the kernel. The base is just pure Debian - yours is probably very outdated (you seem to have many woody release problems - maybe even potato). If you want usb support, get the kernel patch and compile it statically in, rather than using a module. You can avoid any strange Debian module problems that way (which would be solved by using an adequate base).

Debian GUI? You mean X? Try getting a copy of our Kdrive from the repository, it should run. But I did screw up tslib, so touchscreen will not work (then again, I guess the touchscreen on the 820 would require a different driver anyways). But the actual Kdrive compile is nice and clean; it should run well.

Good luck with that..and how about some pictures?

I'll try Kdrive, the lack of touchscreen support is no problem - the 820 has no touch screen.
Thanks for the info! That's enough to keep a Linux-noob like me busy for another week

I'll keep you up-to-date.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-11-22 11:25 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I know there is another 820 thread on here that showed how to get Xfbdev working better with your screen. It looks like I will be compiling it again soon, and if it is simple enough, I'll build an 820-compatible server as well. The base is so compatible with both devices, I think we should be able to give some support for the 820.
 Top of the page
Lucidan Page Icon Posted 2006-12-16 4:28 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

That would be great! Keep us posted.
 Top of the page
Lucidan Page Icon Posted 2006-12-16 5:35 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

By the way, what are the minimal components needed for a basic bash-only-install (not busybox)?
I'm thinking of deleting all that is not needed, since i'm still not able to run the GUI.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-12-18 12:06 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Look into debootstrap and the Debian documentation.
 Top of the page
Lucidan Page Icon Posted 2006-12-19 12:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm currently trying to install 720degrees on my j820, because I can't get Debian-ARM to work properly. Installing 720degrees is also not very easy, because there is very little information on this. But 720degrees seems like the best shot for my j820. I got the base system working, now i'm trying to install the required packages and get the GUI going.

When it's ready, I'll put a tarball of the complete working 720degrees system for the 820 online (to extract on a CF), for those interested.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-12-23 7:17 AM
#
H/PC Elder

The installation process should be the same really, I don't know why you are having problems there. Believe me, if you are trying to get Linux onto a device only a few have tried it on, partitioning a compactflash card will be the least of your problems...

Contact me about the tarball if you get that far.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.204 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9