x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

FS (GLOBAL): 3com Wifi with Retractable Antenna

1 2 3 4 5
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2006-11-25 12:02 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I have a lot of 10 of these wifi cards with retractable antenna. This is the closest you can get to internal wifi on a Jornada 710/720/728! The exact description of the card is: 3com 11 Mbps Wireless LAN PC Card 3CRWE62092B

There are Pocket PC ARM only drivers which work fine on a Jornada 72x with Hou Ming's 22kb AYGSHELL. Ministumbler, PocketWinc, and the like don't seem to work, but it's a great card if you're just going to use it with your wifi at home.

IMPORTANT: 3com says it does not work with 400MHz processors (i.e. Mobilepro 900). I tested this and it seems to be true. This card is primarily for Jornada 72x users (or perhaps someone wanting wifi for an older laptop). I've read that it might work in Linux (it does seem to work on desktop Linux), but you will need to research that before you buy. It's Atmel chipset AT76C502A.

Cost: $12.24 shipped in the USA, US$13.26 shipped internationally. I'll let this post linger for a week or so before listing on eBay.

Edited by isotherm 2006-11-25 12:15 PM
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2006-12-09 3:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Here are pictures of what this card looks like with antenna in and out...

Edited by isotherm 2006-12-09 3:50 PM
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-12-09 4:14 PM
#
H/PC Elite

What r ur thoughts on it overall? I could use this on my J720 as my Orinoco Gold card was damaged.

Does it show what ntworks are out there?

Do you have pics of the screen showing the lists?

S/F,
CEYA!

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-12-09 5:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Interesting looking wifi card. Question: when the antenna is in, is the wifi card active and drawing juice?

Rich

p.s. Regular email sent

Edited by Rich Hawley 2006-12-09 5:38 PM
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2006-12-09 6:31 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The configuration utility needs an aygshell, so though it's not pretty and polished, it gets the job done. (There is WEP configuration etc. too.) When you push in the antenna, it turns the radio off. I'm not really sure how much it draws with the antenna in, but the radio is off at least.

I should reiterate that it won't work on MobilePro 900(C) unfortunately, or at least I can't get it to. The drivers say it won't work on 400MHz (may actually mean won't work on XScale architecture). But for a 72x I think it's great - it's nice that it fits in a case now and I can just pop it out when i need it rather than remove and reinsert the card all the time.

Update: There's an option in the driver to make it so that pushing in the antenna doesn't turn off the radio, meaning the Jornada can access Wifi with virtually nothing sticking out (like the picture on the left).

Edited by isotherm 2006-12-09 6:54 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-12-09 8:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i tried it in the simpad sl4, but the driver doesn't like cenet.

still, it works great with the jornada! amazing card
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-12-09 8:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well I'm sold...for that price it is a good card for anyone. Can't wait to get mine and play with it.

Rich
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-12-10 3:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I agree with that. As much as I like my Agere ORiNOCO Gold, I'm thinking seriously about getting one of these. But I'll have to wait until I get paid the end of next week, cuz right now I don't have enough in the bank to buy a cup of coffee.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-12-10 11:14 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I want your Gold Card. CE Geek. I thinking of getting one 3 com.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-12-11 1:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Sorry, mine's not for sale - it's been my mainstay and will continue to be. But it's nice to have choices.
 Top of the page
cnycl
cnycl Page Icon Posted 2006-12-11 2:00 AM
#
If there is any chance that these card will work on jornada 680, I'd like to get one.
 Top of the page
cnycl
cnycl Page Icon Posted 2006-12-11 2:00 AM
#
If there is any chance that these card will work on jornada 680, I'd like to get one.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-12-11 2:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Don't think so. In the first post, isotherm said it's for ARM devices only. (The 680 is an SH3 device.)
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2006-12-13 11:26 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I'm out of these for now, but more are coming. Price on these will be somewhat higher. Some are new in box with materials for those who desire that. I've created a replacement driver utility that does profiles and active scanning. I'll post again when I have more ready to ship.
 Top of the page
gorgon5 Page Icon Posted 2006-12-19 3:06 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I just got mine in the mail, and the hardware is great. Having trouble with finicky lockups with the driver, though. Can I get a copy of your driver utility, isotherm?
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.226 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10