x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Compaq C140 upgrading from 1.0 to 2.0

paisley_pirate Page Icon Posted 2006-11-27 1:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I ran into a problem, and I hope it's not a portent, but maybe someone has info.

I got a Compaq C140 with CE1.0 onboard. I ordered a 2.0 ROM for it (it was for Compaq C series) it matched pins and form factor, so I installed it... it fit (very snuggly) tried to power up and nothing. Even tried the diagnostic force boot for it, and still nothing. Changed back to the 1.0 rom and it works fine.

2 questions (one in the other) Is this the right rom for this hpc? I thought all roms were laid out differently so that, (for instance) I couldn't take the rom out of my HP and use it, or my ppc, etc... ? Also, if there are more than one type in that plan/form, is there a 2.0 rom out there that someone would part with?

I am trying to set this up for my daughter to use as a wireless internet tool (toy) and need min 2.0...

Any suggestions? Comments? Amusing Anecdotes? TIA!

PS my old 1.0 games from my old 320LX (mia) still rock!

Top of the page
NeoStrider Page Icon Posted 2006-12-01 11:30 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I have a A-11 (its the C140 , but with a Casio sticker on it). I dont recommend CE 2.0 - the device is a bit weak for it. people say it consumes lots of battery and makes the device even slower (althrough the CE 1.0 on this SH3 40Mhz is tolerably slow).
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-12-01 2:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

are you sure the rom was for the older C-1xx series? and not for compaq 810 for example? that might be the problem. or maybe it's faulty.

i would just buy a newer hpc though.
 Top of the page
paisley_pirate Page Icon Posted 2006-12-03 4:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

AFA we could determine, it was the right rom... it just was bad... the roms on most ce machines were specific to the machine (duh) ie the one for my HP 320LX wouldn't plug into the compaq even tho they are both sh3 machines... the later ones on the compaq 810, (from pix) looks like a different card in shape and plug connection... the one I had plugged right in (a little snug, but still) it just wouldn't power up.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-12-03 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i tried to install a 320lx/mc12 rom into a mc16/360lx and it didn't work. the 320lx can accept the 360lx rom though. somehow it doesn't work the other way around... small differences can matter. :/
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.132 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10