x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: IBM Workpad z50 (Flashback)

1 2 3
Moe Syzlak Page Icon Posted 2005-04-18 3:52 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Excellent review. I bought a Z50 sometime in 2000 after it had been discontinued. They were being sold for $250 at the time by internet wholesalers. I wrote some basic graphics software with it, but never really found a use for it until I installed NetBSD last year. I now use it as a wireless terminal to browse the web w/Firefox and play games on the couch in between TV commercials. I did buy the extra 32MB memory module and the bigger battery for about $30 last year to soup it up a bit. It is fun to tinker with, if you like that sort of thing.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Dan
Dan Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 9:49 PM
#
How did you set up your z50 as a terminal using the netBSD. Someone just gave me a z50 and I have a microdrive. I also have an IBM Notebook to which I can link. I am just not certain how to do it.
Dan papa@malone.org
Dan
Dan Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 10:11 PM
#
Thanks for writing the article. Very enjoyable. I recently picked up a z50 and was wondering if you know were to get the serial cable for link up to a host PC.
jmark
jmark Page Icon Posted 2005-04-22 5:46 PM
#
Thanks for the terrific article. I've been scouting around for something to use because if I have to take any more notes--even short notes--on my palm E, I'm afraid I'm going to launch toward the nearest brick wall. I've looked at the HP 820, the NEC 790 and the Z...your article showed the way.

Thanks--
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2005-04-24 8:31 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

dazz - 2005-03-07 9:36 PM

The screen was never great but certainly good and it was always much more portable than any notebook I have owned.

The used ThinkPad X22 I bought is 1.6kg vs. the 1.2kg of the Z50 (and the 1kg or so of my Izzi Pro), but I think it's worth the extra weight. (Of course, I'm saying that before I actually have it...)
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2005-04-24 8:35 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

BTW, this discussion of NetBSD made me wonder if I could get it to run on the Izzi Pro. But I don't think I'm going to go there.
David Grissom
David Grissom Page Icon Posted 2005-04-29 5:44 PM
#
I use a small inexpensive USB IRDA dongle on my PC instead of the serial cable. It works extremely well for file transfers.

(I built my serial cable from a Parallel Printer cable. It was kind of a pain to pin it out properly but it works.) IRDA seems to be a little bit better performer for me.

The absolute best is device for sync speed is wireless (including making backups).. (Note: Unfortunately, you will have to set up your partnership with a serial cable or IRDA first.)

The z50 is still a nice little machine!

DG

ET3D Page Icon Posted 2005-04-29 6:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I had a hell of a time getting the IrDA connection to work on my Izzi Pro. The easiest for me was a network card (Socket Low Power Ethernet CF card). This worked without trouble and was as fast as I could want.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-30 1:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think you were just very unluckey with the Ir. Not sure what was up there. Bugs me that we never resolved it though
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-04-30 2:39 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have had issues with a few diffrent HPC's the IR , Never really resovled the issue, it would work somtimes and sometimes it would not, Never figured out why...But on relation of the speed, i found it was no faster than a serial connection @ 115k.....I have one of those socket lpe cards, allways found that faster than anything i've tried.....
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-30 2:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That would be because the IR speed is 115.2kbps as well - lol
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 12:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie - 2005-04-30 12:51 PM

That would be because the IR speed is 115.2kbps as well - lol

Well, I thought the review said that the IR Speed could be 4mbps?
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 12:45 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Excellent review, C:Amie! Now, I want one really bad!
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 1:37 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

how bad do you want it.....

better act fast before i buy it just5 for the extra ram....then i'll have 2...but i'll give others a chance first...good deal....

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-WorkPad-Z50-Mini-Laptop-Personal-Organizer_...

and this one for the cd's even cheaper.......
http://cgi.ebay.com/NR-IBM-WorkPad-Z50-with-2-Li-Ion-batteries-spar...

Edited by thcrw739 2005-08-25 1:40 PM
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 1:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

oh man I wish I would have seen those before
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 11