x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

H/PC Desktops Thread

« Prev ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next »
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-03-10 2:16 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Karpour - 2021-03-08 4:25 PM
Might get one once Covid is over! A friend is pondering getting a Cosmo and selling me his Gemini!

I would advise him to wait a bit and get the Astro Slide instead. Except for the backlight keyboard, there is nothing on the Cosmo that justifies the upgrade.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-03-11 2:25 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

So I ran Windows CE 5.0 on my Virtualbox on Windows 10. It's working great. I think I might use it as a sandbox...

Sorry the image isn't showing very well.

Edited by stingraze 2021-03-11 2:32 PM

(windowsce-on-virtualbox-windows10.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments windowsce-on-virtualbox-windows10.jpg (40KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-03-11 3:53 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Sorry for the offtopic but, stingraze, did you manage to get network connectivity on your Windows CE VM? If so, what did you do? I have a similar VM running on my Gemini, which is pretty cool as it transforms the Gemini into a real WinCE HPC, but unfortunately it has no network connectivity, meaning the VM is useless. I can't install new apps, exchange files, or do nothing.

Edited by ntware 2021-03-11 3:53 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-03-11 6:41 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hi.

It was my first time trying out this Windows CE VM, but I couldn't get the internet to work either. I think if I can get the right virtual LAN adapter to recognize from the Windows CE VM it should work. But when I was trying out, the settings such as PPPoE was greyed out. Only dial up options were available. If so, if I can somehow have a shared network via a virtual COM1 dial-up to connect between host and guest, it might work?

My Windows laptop I was using just ran out of juice and I'm on my Mac using Virtualbox using the same virtual machine, so when I get the Windows laptop running again, I will post again and see how it might change.

-stingraze

P.S.

Related (?) link:
https://www.syslogic.de/ProductDocuments/deu/NETIPC_WCE50A.pdf

Maybe I need the Platform Builder to install the right LAN adapter driver?
Good luck.

Edited by stingraze 2021-03-11 7:16 PM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-03-11 7:23 PM
#
H/PC Elite

If I'm not mistaken, these WinCE VMs launch WinCE on top of DOS. So perhaps we need to have the network adapter running on top of DOS first and then check to see if it will be available on the WinCE side. Anyway, maybe we need to create a new topic for this instead of hijacking the very nice Desktop thread.

So, just to say I'm not too off-topic here, I'm posting my current Gemini setup with external HDMI display. My official USB C to HDMI cable just arrived and I'm playing with that now. There is an Android app called "Second Screen" that allows you to better configure your external display (resolution, DPI, etc). It looks really great with the Ubuntu Mate desktop, but unfortunately Gemini doesn't like the resolution change with the official HDMI cable and shows black bars on my monitor. There is apparently no way to fix that. If I use a USB DisplayLink adapter for my HDMI out it works great without the black bars, but then screen rendering is way slower as it is done from my CPU instead of GPU. Anyway, here is my Gemini desktop with HDMI display out

(gemini_hdmi.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments gemini_hdmi.png (285KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2021-03-11 7:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

That looks great, really makes me want a Gemini!

Also consider Typescript!
 Top of the page
roychanyl Page Icon Posted 2021-03-12 10:28 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

My Sigmarion 3 desktopdesktop
It is a page captured from my favourite japanese artist's compilation, resampled using UltraG and saved as 800x480dpi. A portion of the background was added using Pocket Artist 2. 0, all done on the Sigmarion itself.

Edited by roychanyl 2021-03-12 10:34 AM

(sigma3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sigma3.jpg (59KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
roychanyl Page Icon Posted 2021-03-12 10:54 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

My CeOpener enabled Sharp Brain PW-HC4 desktop.
Also another of Japanese artist Sorayama's fabulous illustrations, resampled with UltraG and exported to bmp format on the Sharp Dictionary too. The device runs Win CE. net 6. 0 core

(HC4desktop.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments HC4desktop.jpg (191KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-03-12 6:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

stingraze - 2021-03-11 6:41 PM

Hi.

It was my first time trying out this Windows CE VM, but I couldn't get the internet to work either. I think if I can get the right virtual LAN adapter to recognize from the Windows CE VM it should work. But when I was trying out, the settings such as PPPoE was greyed out. Only dial up options were available. If so, if I can somehow have a shared network via a virtual COM1 dial-up to connect between host and guest, it might work?

My Windows laptop I was using just ran out of juice and I'm on my Mac using Virtualbox using the same virtual machine, so when I get the Windows laptop running again, I will post again and see how it might change.

-stingraze

P.S.

Related (?) link:
https://www.syslogic.de/ProductDocuments/deu/NETIPC_WCE50A.pdf

Maybe I need the Platform Builder to install the right LAN adapter driver?
Good luck.

There are no synthetic CE drivers for modern class 1 or 2 hypervisors. Back under emulated hardware, Connectix/Microsoft use the DEC 21140 and there is no CE driver for that either. you have to recompile the CE BSP with the driver and first off you have to make the driver.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-03-13 9:46 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Does that mean the NAT virtual LAN adapters in VirtualBox like

PCnet-PCI II (Am79C970A)
PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973)

are not included in the default driver for Windows CE 5.0 or I have to compile drivers for these to make it work?

Edited by stingraze 2021-03-13 9:46 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-03-13 11:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I don't know anything about them. Out of the box, the only driver you have will usually be NE2000, assuming it was included in the image.

The only thing that I can think to try with VMWare/VirtualBox is to change the vNIC to an Intel e1000 and then try https://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/detail.asp?hcdid=805
Hyper-V's emulated NIC, forget it.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-03-14 9:29 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

if i can get a NE2000 USB ethernet adapter and get it recognized on the Windows CE 5.0 it would be nice. Thank you for your help.
 Top of the page
Ameowli Page Icon Posted 2021-10-26 10:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

My new-to-me z50. Picked it up because I like ThinkPads and alternate processor architectures and it's just plain neat. Planning on making it ultimate at some point down the road.

The wallpaper is a quote and a major theme from the anime Serial Experiments Lain. I don't remember where I got it, I've had it in a pile of other Lain-related images for a long time.

(ScrSnap002.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ScrSnap002.png (23KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-10-27 9:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

@Ameowli, looks like you need to search the SCL for Desapper, which will help your visual immeasurably!
 Top of the page
Ameowli Page Icon Posted 2021-10-27 4:03 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I tried that, and it made all the text disappear! Turns out that DeSappear always makes the text black, which makes it blend right into the black background.

Though, since the background is black, setting the Desktop colour to black in the Appearance control panel got the desired effect. Thanks for the tip!

(ScrSnap003.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ScrSnap003.png (23KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.335 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 17