x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Advice for new MobilePro user?

elecconnec
elecconnec Page Icon Posted 2005-03-04 2:28 PM
#
While I've used PocketPCs (and WinCE 2.11 Palm-sized PCs) for years, I recently took the HPC plunge with a refurb NEC MP780 from UnityElectronics. After 2 days I was frustrated enough with IE 3.01 that I bought a MP790 ROM to upgrade my 780 using information and links from these excellent forums.

All is well (althought I don't know why the Win3.0 drivers for my Netgear Wi-Fi card don't work but the 2.11 drivers do!) However, since the 790's backup program and Fax program was installed in flash memory instead of ROM, I've lost them.

I tried copying the BSquare backup program (and every .dll and file with anything vaguely resembling "bs" or "backup" in the name!) to CF prior to conversion, but after copying it back it still refuses to run (saying it or a component is unavailable).

The NEC Fax software was imssible to copy- the files were in ROM and Activesync, the HPC File explorer and two 3rd party apps I tried refused to copy ROM files.

Since this unit was a refurb, I don't have the original CD, and BSquare seems to have exited the CE software biz.

Anybody know the complete list of files I need to copy to make BS Backup work? Or anyone have a spare 780 or 790 software CD for sale (or rent!) Or perhaps advice on an alternate (hopefully inexpensive!) backup utility?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-04 8:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hi,

about copying rom files: didn't total commander ce work? i can copy rom files with this file manager on my jornada 720. and this program is FREE.
you could try the handheld attitude website for programs (the link to it is on hpcfactor main page).
 Top of the page
elecconnec
elecconnec Page Icon Posted 2005-03-05 2:17 AM
#
No, Total Commander didn't work either- it will copy some ROM files, but others (like the Win CE core files and, unfortunately, NEC's fax prog) say "Cannot Access File".

Oh well, the benefits of Win CE 3.0 override the drawbacks of losing a Backup program and a Fax viewer!

Thanks anyway!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-03-05 6:45 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I just sent you some files to give a try...if they work, let us know...if they don't...it was worth the effort.

Rich
 Top of the page
elecconnec
elecconnec Page Icon Posted 2005-03-05 2:25 PM
#
Thanks for the quick reply, Rich! The BSquare Backup worked fine, but I'm struggling w/the fax software (says it's for MP 790 only.)

No matter- beating one's head against the wall making things work is half the fun of using old hardware, right?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 8