x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Modified Tiger Direct 680e and Otterbox

1 2
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 11:56 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Snappy! - 2005-03-11 10:13 PM
Is there any other functionality that is missing without the cradle? Thx!

Functionally, no. Once you put the buttons back in, it's a fully functional 680e. Here is what differs:

No docking cradle - not a necessary component unless you want to charge the battery while the 680e is docked

No name plate - obviously not a needed item

No screw-driver pack - a small philips head screw-driver and two spare screws for the battery compartment came with the orginal retail model. Again, not needed, but if you want it, you can also order it from HP for $1.40 plus about $5.00 more shipping (it comes from a different warehouse).

Different keyboard - the European 680e has one additional key per row. This makes the layout a closer mirror of a desktop keyboard (which I actually prefer), but also makes the keys a little bit smaller.

A couple of screws for the bottom plate - once you remove the fake bottom you can reuse the short screws, but the long ones are too long to fit. This does not affect the integrity of the case.

If you order from Tiger Direct, a 3-month warranty is provided by a third party. TD also offers one and two year extended warranties. If the warranty is not important, Justdeals.com now sells a refurbished 680e (with the same Eurpoean keyboard) that has the audio buttons, docking cradle, and no bottom plate covering the CF slot. At $130 shipped, it is actually cheaper and easier, since you don't have to order and install parts. But the warranty from them is only 30 days.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 12:24 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, I just ordered the buttons. Figure I might as well try to restore mine to a true 680E.
The OtterBox case, got one on Ebay. BoxStore or something like that. Nice Yellow model. My opinion, Worth the money.
Let you all know when I get the buttons and install them.
Chris
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-13 11:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I don't have the cradle, just charger and synk cable. Am I missing the cradle? I don't know. I picked mine up for around $66.00 and I don't think I should get a cradle. The Otterbox may be somthing I would think about though.
 Top of the page
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 2:09 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Yoldering - 2005-03-13 10:08 PM
I don't have the cradle, just charger and synk cable. Am I missing the cradle? I don't know. I picked mine up for around $66.00 and I don't think I should get a cradle. The Otterbox may be somthing I would think about though.

Sounds like a heckuva deal. Did you buy a used one off eBay? Did it come with the audio buttons? The cradle came with the 680e originally. You'd plug the sync cable and charger cable into it, then you could connect the 680e to your PC and charge it at the same time. It's a little more convenient, but since you can plug the cables straight into the unit, it's not necessary.

My wife loves her Otterbox. Makes her feel much more secure taking her 680e about. Definitely protects. Does add to the overall carry size though.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 9:14 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, I got it off e-bay. I thought I would have to buy a new battery, and back up, but it was fully charged I could also get the cradle, but I just don't need it. I may get one for the office though. I can't believe how much I like the 680e.

Edit: Yes it has the buttons, but the speakersounds baaaad. works though.

Edited by Yoldering 2005-03-14 9:16 AM
 Top of the page
Raider Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 7:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Lensman - 2005-03-11 1:00 AM

The part is F1262-6002 Button Audio Assy. If I remember correctly it's around $3.82 + about $5.00 shipping.

The part # is F1262-60027. Funny how that 7 causes so much trbl.

Complete parts list

Top of the page
dbarry
dbarry Page Icon Posted 2005-04-05 1:17 PM
#
Try $9.90 for shipping & handling. Yeah, we're being "handled" allright.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9