x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Best HPC for mobile use in a rough environment?

1 2
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 4:49 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Nice breakdown PocketDVD!

Actually I think there was also embeddedNT ... though I am not sure if the product group for it evolved into embeddedXP later. Basically similar concept, have only core OS with GUI stripped out and other services etc available as optional modules ...

Maybe they should have WindowsXP in this mode, where users can select exactly the modules they want during installation?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 5:49 PM
#
H/PC Elder

At first I thought you MUST have XP embedded. But I didn't know of any HPC like devices that runs that. However, there are indeed PC like devices with XP emb, such as http://www.coxion.fi/eng/tuotteet/surf.html

Anyway, as the above discussions went on, it seemed you might need something different. You said you might want something even smaller than the 680. Well, as far as HPCs go, it doesn't get much smaller than that. Any smaller and the keyboard would not be touch typeable.

There is one, the Samsung Nexio, which is only available in Hong Kong. But you might find it on eBay as well. It's got a smaller screen and higher resolution tho, so it might be too hard to read.

Chris is going to be mad... but another choice is a Pocket PC with a thumb keyboard. For example the Panasonic Toughbook P1 (rugged, expensive), or an iPAQ 4350 (just add a protective case).
 Top of the page
Magellan
Magellan Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 7:48 PM
#
Have you looked at Symbol products? I believe they are ruggedized and run PPC.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 8:29 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I appreciate all the feedback, for now I am using the 680e, hopefully the other HPC's ya'll mentioned will be at a better price when we fully launch the program. I will still like to see other posts on this topic. Thanks
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 9:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

have you thought products like psion's and intermec's (and anothers' products? not the psion netbook (pro) and not the intermec 6651 but their rugged mobile computers! for example the psion 7535 or something like that. they run WinCE (ce.net) and even have some keyboard and look smaller (on pics) than the jornada 680. granted, they're not that beautiful... and they're still produced by the manufacturers! i'm not sure about office though.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 9:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The psion 7535 is the kind of device I am thinking about. It is small and seems to have the things I need, although the price may be high for what I am looking to stay within. How much is it anyway. The site I went to didn't have a price. Does it have a touch screen? Anyway thanks.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8