x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

usb hubs and ce.net

Guyturf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-09 6:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Just curious whether usb hubs work with the mobilepro 900c?

I'm interested in running the mobilepro with an external mouse and usb hard drive at the same time and would like to know.

thanks!
Guyturf
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 9:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I don't have a 900c, but I have seen Toshiba e800 (Windows Mobile 2003 is based on CE .net) work with USB hubs.

In general I don't think you should have any problems with hubs. But it's possible the USB host cannot provide enough power for too many USB devices, in which case you'd need to plug in an AC adapter
 Top of the page
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 11:12 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I use a USB hub with my 900C with a mouse and thumbdrive, and it works fine. As the previous poster mentioned, if you have USB devices that are more power-hungry, you may need a hub that has an AC power adapter.
 Top of the page
Guyturf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 6:55 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks for your help folks!

Guyturf
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 7:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I can go one step further.

I plugged in a 4 port usb hub and had an external hard drive, external CD, mouse, and printer all hooked up. Each have their own power supply, but I was able to read a file off the CD, copy it to the hard drive, and then print the text file onto the printer.

Of course then the questions becomes, "with all that crap hooked up and power supplies and cables going...why not just buy a laptop where it is all integrated?"

The answer...just fooling around.

Rich
 Top of the page
Guyturf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 8:15 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

So a mobilepro 900 is a true desktop replacement then?

Awesome!

Guyturf
 Top of the page
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 8:45 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Guyturf - 2005-03-11 5:15 PM

Awesome!

Guyturf

Ummm I don't know if I'd go that far... The lack of software support definitely keeps it from being able to replace a standard PC, plus not all websites will work with the browser (although it has far better compatibility than any previous versions, including PPC). Laptop replacement, maybe... But you'd at least still want to have a desktop to cover the rest.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 9:46 PM
#
H/PC Elder

surrealmonk - 2005-03-11 6:45 PM

Guyturf - 2005-03-11 5:15 PM

Awesome!

Guyturf

Ummm I don't know if I'd go that far... The lack of software support definitely keeps it from being able to replace a standard PC, plus not all websites will work with the browser (although it has far better compatibility than any previous versions, including PPC). Laptop replacement, maybe... But you'd at least still want to have a desktop to cover the rest.

I think the 900 itself has the standard PocketOffice ... but the 900c has a good updated browser. Is it 5.5 compat or 6.0?? If the 900c's price is around $300 odd, I would take it anytime, given its 1) InstantOn 2) Battery Life 3) Proper IE 4) ability to place DVD via external drive ... its only low-down for me would be its crappy DSTN screen!!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 10:18 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

900 = standard HPC2000
900c = CE4.2 MSIE 6.0 CE Edition

But don't think MSIE 6 is all rosey, as you loose things like the image resizing and mobile optimisations. Admitedly more painful if moving from 2.0 or 2.11 to 4, rather than 3.0 to 4.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 9:04 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Good point Chris....IE6.0 is not perfect....still for these devices it is the best there is. No problems accessing secure sites, multiple open windows, selecting font size, displaying images or javascript....

On a side note, I haven't used IE on my desktop for months since I've switched over to Mozilla Firefox...so much better for my use. I wonder if we'll ever see a port to WinCE?

Rich
 Top of the page
Guyturf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 9:51 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Back to the USB thing... is it USB 1.1 or 2.0 on the 900c?

Thanks!
Guyturf
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 10:28 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Both Host and Slave are 1.1
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 11:23 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Keep an eye on Minimo.
Screenshots were released a few days ago, and downloads will come soon.
But I have no idea if it'll work on HPC devices at all.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minimo/
 Top of the page
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 11:54 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Minimo... but from what I can see so far, they are only building it for PPC/Windows Mobile and Linux. Hopefully it will work on the HPC.

Speaking of Linux, is anyone aware of a project to port Linux to the MP900s? I've seen on handhelds.org that they are working on Jornada builds... A Linux HPC would be nice, given there are foar more Linux apps available than HPC. And yes, I know about the Zauruses (Zauri?), but they are too small for my taste.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 26