x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sentry 2020 for Windows CE

Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 7:27 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Anyone here using this software? I've downloaded and installed the latest version, Version 2.8, and I'm having real problems with it. It won't let me use more than 5-6 MB on any volume. If, for example, I create a 10 or 20 or 30 MB volume, Sentry 2020 will format it; but then, when I try to copy files onto that volume, I get an error message that the volume at or around the 6 MB mark. And yet, Resco FE tells me that I still have ample space left on that volume. I checked with the SoftWinter Support team, and here's the answer I got:

"One reason could be that you are placing files in root of sentry volume,
and FAT file system has a limit for file name entries in root folder.
You can either place files into subfolders or format the volume
using FAT32 file system.

Support Team
SoftWinter
support@softwinter.com"

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with this application, but unlike the desktop version of Sentry, the Windows CE application does not give the user any choice as to the format type. And I don't even think that FAT32 is supported in WCE, is it?

TIA for your help! Cheers!

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 7:47 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

FAT has a 255 file limit on root folder storage, and FAT32 has been supported fully since the 2.10 release.

Generally there are size rules to how applications should default allocate the file system.

Anything under 16MB will be FAT12
Anything under 512MB will be FAT16
*potentially* Anything over 512MB will be FAT32 (No benefit for using 32 on smaller volumes although you can format to FAT32 on a 32MB disk - but it is vastly inefficient)
Anything over 2GB will be FAT32
Anything over 32GB wont work

The crucial delimiter her eis really the cluster size, to find that out you need to get creative.
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 8:00 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks c:Amie - you're always on the ball, aren't you! I can't thank you enough for all the help you've been extending here in these forums. I solved the problem and the folks at SoftWinter were right, although I wish they would have the solution right inside their Sentry 2020 for WCE application. Fortunately, I have SoftWinter's Storage Tools. So I created a 50 MB volume, let Sentry 2020 do its formatting, and then reformated the volume via Storage Tools using FAT32. And Bingo! Problem is gone!

Uncle Ben is smiling again and now I'm off to finsih off that apple pie that Aunt Bea just took out of the oven.

Cheers and thanks again!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 8:49 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You have apple pie!

Where do I sign up?

Glad to be of service (if I actually did anything )
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-15 4:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2005-03-14 8:49 PM

You have apple pie!

Where do I sign up?

Glad to be of service (if I actually did anything )

You did help, you straightened me out on the FAT32 question and the guys at SoftWinter came through, so everything is fine, and thanks for your help. As a token of my appreciation, here's a slice of Aunt Bea's pie. Enjoy!

(Deep Dish Caramel Apple Pie.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Deep Dish Caramel Apple Pie.jpg (28KB - 18 downloads)
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-16 4:16 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2005-03-14 7:47 PM

FAT has a 255 file limit on root folder storage, and FAT32 has been supported fully since the 2.10 release.

Generally there are size rules to how applications should default allocate the file system.

Anything under 16MB will be FAT12
Anything under 512MB will be FAT16
*potentially* Anything over 512MB will be FAT32 (No benefit for using 32 on smaller volumes although you can format to FAT32 on a 32MB disk - but it is vastly inefficient)
Anything over 2GB will be FAT32
Anything over 32GB wont work

The crucial delimiter her eis really the cluster size, to find that out you need to get creative.

You were right again. After further communications with the SoftWinter folks, excellent support by the way, they confirmed moreorless what you have above. They add that FAT32 would probably slow things down. The chief reasons why I was having problems were: (a) too many long filenames; and (b) I had too many files in the root folder of the Sentry Volume. Once I trimmed down the filenames and split the root folder to multiple folder, the problem was gone!

Again, thanks for your help!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-16 5:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Pleasure
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10