x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The Great Crash of 2007

1 2 3 4 5 6
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 5:58 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I wasn't actually planning on coming here today, I wanted some time off, but having just had a phone call from the one and only Chiark, I'm afraid he's turned my addiction past a certain precipice and I couldn't resist either. So here I am having thrown most of what I was reading (at 1WPM) in the nearest bin. I have a post count to recover too you know .

For those who didn't get the Americana, fema is the US Federal Emergency Management Agency. You've got to laugh... just a little? no? OK

I have some additional good news. I just caught in the corner of my eye the upload job terminating! 62.5 hours after it started. Everything static content wise should hopefully be back where I left it when I went away on the 9th.
Funnily enough, I don't have any form of desire to do that ever again

Another thing you may be interested in is that the Reviews schedule has been bumped up by a week. So no new review today I'm afraid.

Ceya, Thanks. You may have to poke me in the arm again on those because the sites Administration has had only enough TLC to get the FP news editor working - the FP news poster isn't working yet (hence no announcement). It also means the HCL administration isn't running properly.

To everyone else, thank-you very much, keep on surfing, and, enjoy your 'fix'.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 7:01 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Get off, turn the PC off, get some sleep - you sounded pretty drained! I am not going to be held responsible for you being generally broken this week
Oh, and Americans don't have humour, they only have humor. It's definitely inferior
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 7:22 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

I've served this community for some 7 years, Clinton and John around the same if not a little longer, and here I address a very small minority of those who so contemptibly vocalised their opinions to me. I have been appalled by the reactions of these certain insignificant minority of people throughout this last week.

That we would just flick a switch, and, without so much as a word walk away from all that has been achieved.
To those who sent those venomous emails and thought that after spending so much time and effort in keeping this site alive for so many years, that we would treat the members of this community so disdainfully. I suggest to them that they don't know us at all. I suggest to them that it is they who must learn some tact and decency. And I suggest to them; that they stay out of my way.

Now, on with the show! Lets get that post count back to 72,000 posts; post haste!

Chris

i understand the message..i will go away..

btw, you confused shock with contempt. such a misunderstanding. again.

but i will go away. now.

yes, i'm giving up. i tried hard for months, and before you posted this, i was about to write to you another email about all the problems, detailing how i never meant any harm, and admitting i would do everything to make everything good. but i was getting nowhere with the planned email, because when i tried to find the words that could possibly have a chance to make you understand a little, and help solve the problem, i then realized there are no such words in the world.
or i just don't know english well enough.

ok, so i'm officially giving up. if anyone needs help or whatever, my email address is on my site.

good bye everyone!
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 8:12 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Is that a Guilty Conscience I see before me?
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 8:21 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

cmonex, you will be greatly missed. I don't know what this trouble is, but please dont' do anything rash.

c:amie - good job in getting the site up. I don't know anything about servers. But I can just imagine. This is quite a forum setup - very intricate. And very first class! Then when I think of the rest of the site - with all the articles, HCL, downloads, etc. - it is truly mind-boggling.
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 8:47 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Actually, c:amie - my first thought when I couldn't get the site last week, was that I had gone to far with my security on my laptop. My second thought was - oh, this was one of those down-times. Third day I became a little frustrated - but then thought - oh, he's revamping the site. Because you had that post up earlier about making additional forums.

I had dreams of forums for wi-fi and gps.

Any chance these dreams could come true?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 8:54 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

This incident has just proven what I've always said about HPCFactor...they don't do anything half-way...best forums, best content, most information....most outrageous crashes!

Rich
 Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 8:55 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Glad your site is back up. I checked my cache (on 3 computers with 2 browsers each) and had nothing in cache to email to you. I have not looked to see what may have been lost content-wise, but for content dating back before January 2006, the Wayback machine (http://www.archive.org) may be of help. As I check around, if I see something that I have downloaded here, I can try to get that to you.

I really, really, really appreciate your site, your quick work recovering from a catastrophic loss.

I also hope that cmonex and you can patch things up, as you both have much to offer to the hpc community.
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 9:43 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Yes, just a quick thanks from me for your hard work. I was getting worried there! I too, have nothing cached, I'm afraid, but still glad to see the site up and functional as it was.
 Top of the page
richteel Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 9:54 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I just registered with HPC Factor last week because I just bought a HP Jornada 728 from eBay. I had decided to buy it after reading some posts on this site. I was concerned when the site went down and really missed it.

I am glad you have the site back up and running. Thanks for putting together such a wonderful site.

Cmonex, I would like to reemphasize what quiche stated about not doing anything rash. In the short time I have been looking at this site I have read many of your posts and found them very useful. Keep in mind that sometimes things that people write are taken the wrong way and when English is not your native tongue that seems to happen a bit more. I have been told in the past that emails do not carry emotion. Do not react right away to an email as very often you have added more to the email then the sender intended.

Please stay involved as your input is appreciated.
 Top of the page
maxinflixion Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 11:00 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Welcome back everyone. Being new to HPC's, I am one of the newbs that had to re-register today.

This site is a great resource. Now that I am awaiting delivery of my second HPC (snatched a still baseplated 680e on Ebay for a decent price), it is invaluable. If there is anything I can do to help prevent another crash (backing up, etc...), let me know.

It appears there is a resurgence in people looking for these thinsg if recent Ebay prices are any indicator.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 3:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yay!
 Top of the page
wildbill Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 3:47 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Cmonex, I would like to reemphasize what quiche stated about not doing anything rash. In the short time I have been looking at this site I have read many of your posts and found them very useful. Keep in mind that sometimes things that people write are taken the wrong way and when English is not your native tongue that seems to happen a bit more. I have been told in the past that emails do not carry emotion. Do not react right away to an email as very often you have added more to the email then the sender intended.

Please stay involved as your input is appreciated.

I would have to agree-I don't know what what was said or written-it really doesn't matter-computer crashes are not fun & this crash seems 100 time or more complex than the 1 server & 10 computers that I look after on a regular basis. Anyway, cmonex-you are one of the reasons I visit this site daily-please keep involved as your input is appreciated.
wildbill
 Top of the page
DeathDeal
DeathDeal Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 3:50 PM
#
Welcome back HPC:Factor!!! Thanks to all who devoted time and effort for the resurrection of this great site. Hope u (and we the users as well) don't suffer such casualties in the future. HPCs would die without your support and HPC:Factor's contribution to this hardware. Thanks again.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 4:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
It is almost pathetic how happy I am to see HPCFactor.com back on my screen

I congratulate the staff for making it through what had to be an extraordinarily difficult week. I can't imagine how vexing and unnerving it must've been.

Well, well done,
Jake
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10