x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

LG Phenom - Unix?

Ben
Ben Page Icon Posted 2007-02-19 11:39 AM
#
Hi, I recently unearthed an LG Phenom from the loft. What a cool little machine!
Anyway, I got to thinking that it would be ideal for an IRC/Unix muckaround machine -- but I haven't a clue how to install Unix or BSD onto LG Phenoms. Has anyone done it?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-17 3:02 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

which phenom is this? ive seen results with the colour ones.
 Top of the page
lil Page Icon Posted 2007-03-17 5:58 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

If it's the one that I have, black and white CE 2 device I believe something can be done using its SH3 processor, but I cannot for the life of me recall where I recall reading about it or whether it was 100% possible. I'm pretty sure it was!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-17 6:45 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i ran linux on a velo 500 so this could be possible even with the BW phenom ?
 Top of the page
lil Page Icon Posted 2007-03-17 6:57 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

No reason why not, presumably the main pre-requisite is for a SH3 compiled copy. The Phenoms have a PCMCIA slot for a compact flash card if necessary, http://tcos.org/Bulletin/current/CE.html gives some indication that LinuxCE is a possibility. If the Velo 500 can run Linux, then there is no reason the LG Phenom can't with the right bootloader and compiled copy. Of course the Velo 500 is in some respects a faster machine than the Phenom, certainly at its time the Velo was always snappier than its counterparts. I mean, my Velo 1 is snappier than my z50! (36MHz vs. 131MHz MIPS). The other difference is the smaller built in memory of the original B&W Phenoms (H-120s vs. H-220s)

I'll try to investigate this weekend with my Phenom After I have attempted fixing my Velo 500 (brandishes Torx screwdriver like a crazed loon!)

Vicky
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.117 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9