x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Editorial: HPC:Factor Top-10 2006-2007

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-02-26 10:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

With the exception of may be your tax return, good things usually come but once a year. Christmas, your summer holiday and of course the HPC:Factor Top-10 software applications of the year!

This year spells the turn of HPC:Factor's very own Reviews Editor Clinton Fitch to lay down the applications which have kept him productive and entertained on his Handheld PC for the past 12 months.

Do you have a top-10 application list? Do you agree with Clinton? If so let us know your very own top-10 for the past year here on the forums!

View: HPC:Factor Top-10 2006-2007
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-02-26 10:17 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Clinton

Very nice article ......all very good choices!

I'm a bit suprised that you have two spreadsheet programs listed in your Top 10, but I can see your logic....Planmaker is not for everyone! I've been using SpreadCE for several years and it continues to be one of my favorites.

Tascal Search is good, but if you want a great search engine, my first choice would be Spiny's SearcH/PC 1.1
It allows you to search the entire H/PC including calendar, tasks and contacts.

I can't argue with any of the rest of your choices...... you can't go wrong with any of those excellent products!
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2007-02-26 12:16 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

John,

Thanks for the feedback.

The reason for SpreadCE and PlanMaker both being in the list is pretty much as you stated. If I need to generate a quick spreadsheet I use SpreadCE. If I need a "pretty" spreadsheet and charts I use PlanMaker. Both fit the need and do a good job.

SearcH/PC is good as well but I still use Tascal more. Probably more a Clintonism than anything else.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-02-26 4:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Hmmm,

I'm currently in love with DVD Catalyst (The GT version) so I won't aruge that one...and always have loved Textmaker. SOTI is something I use a bunch creating screenshots for my website, especially when the HPC screenshot programs fail to capture direct screen writes...so again I agree.

I use TRE over PHM for registry edits only because I learned that one first.

Like John, I use Spineys but Tascal's is good.

SpreadCE is untouchable for the price...but I rarely use spreadsheets on my HPC, so it is unimportant to me.

CE Agenda is useful, and Pocket Artis is okay, but I never draw on my HPC.

But Planmaker....UGH! I mean for compatibility it is the best, but for large spreadsheets, unless it has improved much over the past couple of years....it is too slow for my tastes...much too slow.

I was surprised that Total Commander didn't make the list....

Rich
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2007-02-26 6:26 PM
#
H/PC Elite

But Planmaker....UGH! I mean for compatibility it is the best, but for large spreadsheets, unless it has improved much over the past couple of years....it is too slow for my tastes...much too slow.

Rich

The new version of PlanMaker (2006) is substantially better than the previous version. I've used the beta for a while now and it is a night and day difference.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 8:12 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I can't agree with you more on DVD Catalyst, its still as untouchable now as it was when it was released.

TotalCommander I guess is an app you either crave or have no need for. Personally I don't have need of it - it is a thoroughly excellent program, no argument. I am content with the WinCE Explorer, use other apps for FTP and registry and IrOBEX for OBEX sending.

The introduction of Pocket Controller is welcome, it can be surprising to see what apps maintain backwards compatibility.
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 10:23 AM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2007-02-27 7:12 AM
The introduction of Pocket Controller is welcome, it can be surprising to see what apps maintain backwards compatibility.

I'd love to say I knew this but discovered it completely by accident. It was a welcome surprise though and it works exceptionally well.
wildbill Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 10:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks for the review-several of these applications appeal to me and will look at them closer. The Pocket controller and DVD catalyst is of particular interest as well as the Softmaker products. I use Pocket Word extensively and from what I've read here and the review on the home page-I will likely purchase Textmaker.
wildbill
docsdad
docsdad Page Icon Posted 2007-03-15 3:19 PM
#
Went to Tascal search page and they no longer support the HPC version of programs according to the info on their site. I agree with you on the other choices however.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-03-15 3:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I didn't think it was on there. Clint if you can send me a binary for it I'll put it in the downloads section.
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-03-16 6:17 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

C:amie

I believe I've mentioned this before (maybe not?) .......all the (StrongARM) Tascal Soft software titles are available for download at Henri Spagnolo's - Handheld Attitude website.

LINK
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-03-16 12:47 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I am sure you probably have... but you're dealing with ME here John
wyattcox Page Icon Posted 2007-03-19 1:26 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Just purchased the new Softmaker Office. Slick, powerful, and nice to have the same WP on my palmtop as on my desktop!
Spiny Page Icon Posted 2007-03-21 4:04 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

What can I say? If I knew Tascal Search existed I never would have bothered writing SearcH/PC. I'm glad I did though.

If I ever get time I'll update it, the Outlook search seems like a crude add on.
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 6:43 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Spiny - 2007-03-21 4:04 PM

What can I say? If I knew Tascal Search existed I never would have bothered writing SearcH/PC. I'm glad I did though.

If I ever get time I'll update it, the Outlook search seems like a crude add on.

Spiny

You are being very modest.....SearcH/PC is much better (and perfroms more extensive searches) than Tascal Search ever did. I'm glad (and grateful) that you took the time to write SearcH/PC - Thanks!
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 27