x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

nPOPuk - new spin of an old favorite

1 2 3
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 1:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

(Re-posting material from 2007-01-11)

Hi - I've been hard at work recently enhancing nPOP (originally from Tomoaki Nakashima, www.nakka.com). The results are found at this web site:
nPOPuk

Builds are available for: WinCE2.0 (mips, sh3) WinCE2.11 (arm, mips, sh3, sh4) PPC (original 2000 version: arm, sh-3, mips) PPC2002 (arm - also works for PPC2003 and WindowsMobile) ... as well as Win32, so you can run the same program (with the same data files) on your desktop. There's supposed to be WinCE3.0 also, but the link is presently broken. There are, if I do say so myself, a number of significant improvements over the original nPOP:
- multiple saveboxes
- basic tag-stripping for html-only mail
- ability to "group" e-mail addresses (family, friends, work)
- replied/forwarded indicators
(more features)
 Top of the page Quote Reply
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 1:55 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

(Re-posting material from 2007-01-26)

gjcoram - 2007-01-12 8:58 AM
BTW: small glitch in the HPC/PPC versions -- forwarding attachments doesn't work. Forgot to convert from TCHAR to char. I have this fixed in a beta version, which also has a few other minor tweaks; should get posted publicly in the next week or so.

The public web site now has the fixed version, 2.04, so you can forward attachments on HPC and PPC. I also added a few settings in the .ini file (you have to edit it manually - darn nuisance to add them to the GUI, since I have to do it for 3 platforms: Win32, PPC, HPC all have different dialog boxes since their screen sizes are different). You can now set it to skip over deleted messages when you click "next message" (ViewSkipDeleted) and/or to automatically jump to the next message when you delete the one you're viewing. Would anyone care to do a review for posting on this site?

Edited by gjcoram 2007-02-27 1:56 PM
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 2:55 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Geoffrey, nice to see you posting here regularly. nPOPuk is one of the finest and most useful pieces of software around. I hope you make lots of friends here!

S
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 3:27 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you like 2.04 ... 2.06 is under development. Some PPC users were complaining about how long it took to exit the program, because it saves all the mailboxes on exit. I've got a new option, "LazyLoadMailboxes" that will only load the mailboxes that are needed. This can dramatically speed up starting as well as exiting the program -- not only on PPC, but HPC also, since they all have flash-based main memory.

I also have been trying to fix some issues with large messages -- nPOP from nakka is really poor about encoding all attachments into one big long message string, and as it adds each attachment, it has to allocate a block of memory to hold all the previous encoded attachments plus the current one. And at the end, it has to add the final mime boundary string by allocating a buffer to hold all the encoded attachments plus another dozen or so bytes. Thus, if you've got 3MB of attachments, mime-encoding makes this 4MB, and nPOP it ends up needing at least 8MB ...
jpfx Page Icon Posted 2007-03-01 6:31 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

excellent program. I use it on my laptop too. compliments to the chef!
Jake Page Icon Posted 2007-03-01 9:47 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
nPOPuk is a vital program to my everyday life. So this next thing is merely me wondering outloud (in the hopes of dumping Pocket Inbox once and for all): there isn't, by any chance, IMAP support in the pipeline, is there?

Again, it's only a hope, not any criticism of a phenomenal program, the best POP mail program available for CE devices. I still can't believe that I can send authenticated mail on a CE 2.0 device.

Thank you,
Jake

rgisondi
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2007-03-03 9:15 AM
#
I'm experimenting problems to read and save attacments. When I try to save them the program says that it cannot find the attacment. Any hints?
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-03-05 8:37 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Jake - 2007-03-01 9:47 PM
there isn't, by any chance, IMAP support in the pipeline, is there?

A couple people have requested it ... and one of the beta-testers said he hoped nPOPuk would never add it, because it's hard to do right and he's afraid it'll kill the program.

Are there any open source programs that support IMAP? I've never gone looking; don't even know what port it uses ...
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-03-05 8:59 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

rgisondi - 2007-03-03 9:15 AM

I'm experimenting problems to read and save attacments. When I try to save them the program says that it cannot find the attacment. Any hints?

You'll have to give me more to work on -- what platform? Are you using nPOP (from www.nakka.com) or nPOPuk? Did you upgrade from nPOP, or do a clean install? (There are some relevant settings that might be corrupt if you upgraded: AttachPath and AttachDelete -- also, make sure you have write permission to the relevant directories.)

Have you fully downloaded the message? If you look in the Edit menu, are the attachments grayed out?
Jake Page Icon Posted 2007-03-05 10:04 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

qmail3 will do IMAP but not with the cleanness of nPOPUK. Port 587/143 are usually the ports IMAP likes, though I've gotten it to send via Port 25 as well.

Weirdly enough, I use nPOPUK to SEND AOL IMAP mail, since all AOL needs is SMTP authentication. I don't know if other IMAP servers are as flexible.

Jake
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-03-05 11:09 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I had a quick look at this IMAP overview:

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_TCPIPInternetMessageAccessProtocol...

I'm a little concerned that the multiple-mailboxes in one account feature of IMAP would require a fair bit of work. How does qmail3 handle this?

(The overview indicates that all POP and IMAP servers use SMTP for sending mail. Of course, I guess there's the question of authentication; don't know what the options are (imap before smtp, corresponding to pop before smtp?).
gorgon5 Page Icon Posted 2007-03-06 9:31 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I know Qmail3 has an xml file that has information on the folders...
Jake Page Icon Posted 2007-03-06 2:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, I can't tell what order qmail3 goes through its imap procedures of authentication. But from my amateur position, receiving IMAP mail seems to be the dilemma of development, if only because I can already send AOL IMAP mail on nPOP.

Again, nPOP is a great program and I in no way mean to criticize its wonders.

Jake
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-03-30 6:17 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Jake - 2007-03-06 2:54 PM

because I can already send AOL IMAP mail on nPOP.

I'll reiterate: you can't "send" IMAP mail; IMAP is a protocol for receiving mail. SMTP (sometimes with authentication) is, AFAIK, the universal protocol for sending mail (at least until you get to MS Exchange, of which I know nothing).

As to my previous question about qmail handling folders: for a single account, you can have multiple folders under IMAP. nPOPuk has been developed under the paradigm of one account, one "folder." Does qmail keep the messages separated by folder? How should nPOPuk's interface be modified to handle these folders? (Can all messages in all folders be merged into one under nPOPuk?)
Jake Page Icon Posted 2007-03-30 7:27 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I think I understand your dilemma, if only because you can not merge AOL folders in qmail, pocket inbox, or Ruskan's ancient "IMAP Force," for that matter. The folders stay separate in all the IMAP apps I've tried because AOL demands it; they're user-untouchable, it would appear, recreated when you actually connect to the service.

That would make for a lot of new development in nPOPuk, something that you probably don't want to take on.

Jake
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 32