x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

custom roms for 900c!

werwolf Page Icon Posted 2008-04-10 5:35 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I became an artist ;P

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-10 6:04 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

some more comments on the persistent storage and registry?

werwolf, no worries
 Top of the page
Bensawsome Page Icon Posted 2008-04-10 9:02 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

OMG that would be GREAT cmonex. I use Pocket OnSchedule though. Would that still work? The only problem is you would only have 32 mb to install stuff on then you would have to use external. I am trying to think how much memory I use currently. And trying to see which I don't always need that I could install to my CF Card. hmmmm........ Also would it use less battery power with it only using the Ram for well ram? And also. I thought the reason they stored the memory in the RAM was because it was faster for the instant on and the overall speed?
Thanks,
Bensawsome
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2008-04-10 2:07 PM
#
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2008-04-09 12:04 PM

Very interesting, obviously. So, basically this hack will make the 900C memory structure similar to the good old BE300 with Beshell...
One question though: is the 900c internal disk memory reliable, specially for very frequent disk rewrites (internet cache, etc.) ? I remember that the BE300 internal memory could get easily corrupted...

I am glad to hear that you like my recent UI experiments...

Edited by Geared2003 2008-04-10 2:09 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-04-10 3:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2008-04-10 3:04 AM

Yeah - now my 900C will have a better memory than its owner.
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2008-04-10 6:27 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi cmonex,

Excellent project!!!
I guess will be approx 20-25MB available in the disk.
Will be possible to have say Opera, socket BT, and and destinator6 in there? No idea how big all this is!!!
Will be a matter of just installing them in addition to your image? Sorry if the question is silly
 Top of the page
Maxxim Page Icon Posted 2008-04-11 3:49 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

cmonex - 2008-04-10 2:04 PM

Should we worry about flash memory wear because of the increased number of writes or not?
 Top of the page
hagisbasheruk Page Icon Posted 2008-04-11 10:47 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Count me in for the beta Cmonex.
I guess this will be of good use for Jlime Linux users who also like their WinCe OS
Catch you on freenode later on tonight
PS. tell Olipro i couldn't get any notes i you speak to him before me
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2008-04-11 11:20 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Another question, Cmonex: if things go wrong with the updated 900c, will it be possible to hard reset the device ? erasing the registry is sometimes a real necessity...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-11 12:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Geared2003 - 2008-04-10 8:07 PM

Very interesting, obviously. So, basically this hack will make the 900C memory structure similar to the good old BE300 with Beshell...
One question though: is the 900c internal disk memory reliable, specially for very frequent disk rewrites (internet cache, etc.) ? I remember that the BE300 internal memory could get easily corrupted...

i don't know how the BE300 was, was it using RAM strictly for programs? then it's the same, yes

also, i remember that the BE300 stored all the OS in one nand chip, so if it got corrupted, OS was out too. not so for the 900c, the internal disk is on a physically totally different chip than the OS (OS is on a separate NOR flash chip)

so far i've not had problems with the internal disk... it is NAND (not NOR) so should last just fine, if you wish you can relocate the IE cache, either to a RAMdisk (one can be created using platform builder tools), or to a CF card.

Geared2003 - 2008-04-11 5:20 PM

Another question, Cmonex: if things go wrong with the updated 900c, will it be possible to hard reset the device ? erasing the registry is sometimes a real necessity...

read my original post again

i will create a small RAM OS that will automatically launch a program that gives you options for cleaning the disk. (or you can just load an existing RAM OS and do it manually but i think this would be neater)

one option would be cleaning only the registry

another is clean the entire disk

etc

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-11 12:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Bensawsome - 2008-04-10 3:02 PM

OMG that would be GREAT cmonex. I use Pocket OnSchedule though. Would that still work? The only problem is you would only have 32 mb to install stuff on then you would have to use external. I am trying to think how much memory I use currently. And trying to see which I don't always need that I could install to my CF Card. hmmmm........ Also would it use less battery power with it only using the Ram for well ram? And also. I thought the reason they stored the memory in the RAM was because it was faster for the instant on and the overall speed?
Thanks,
Bensawsome

i believe pocket onsched will still work, but if it uses a object store based database that'll get lost if you remove power (like when you try to hard reset).
sadly that's not implemented for persistent storage.
but if it uses a file based database it will be persistent. if you link me to the program i can test it out.

32MB, well currently your 900c has less space in RAM for files unless you moved the memory slider to the far right in control panel / system.

the original reason for ram based storage was that old wince devices only had nonwritable roms. persistent storage still allows for instant on with the same speed. power off (i.e. suspend) takes 1 sec due to flushing the registry.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-11 12:55 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Maxxim - 2008-04-11 9:49 AM

cmonex - 2008-04-10 2:04 PM

Should we worry about flash memory wear because of the increased number of writes or not?

not really, the OS doesn't use the memory that much, not like desktop windows, there is no pagefile, etc. etc., the IE cache can be moved, but i doubt it matters much. nand should last just fine.
if you have a program that does many small writes, install it to CF, of course.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-11 12:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oski - 2008-04-11 12:27 AM

Hi cmonex,

Excellent project!!!
I guess will be approx 20-25MB available in the disk.
Will be possible to have say Opera, socket BT, and and destinator6 in there? No idea how big all this is!!!
Will be a matter of just installing them in addition to your image? Sorry if the question is silly

possible, though the destinator maps probably won't fit in there.
yeah, just install them and they'll persist over power loss just fine.

p.s.: for opera, you can edit opera.ini to move the cache to CF card

Edited by cmonex 2008-04-11 12:59 PM
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2008-04-12 4:48 AM
#
H/PC Elite

One more thing, Cmonex: the backup battery will become totally useless with your hack, which is good...
In this case, it would be nice to completely disable backup battery monitoring. I know there is is a trick to hide battery warning messages (with resource tricking), but this is not a good solution: backup battery monitoring should be completely disabled. Any idea how to do this ?

Do you know if persistent storage will positively affect the main battery life ?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-12 11:10 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Geared2003 - 2008-04-12 10:48 AM

One more thing, Cmonex: the backup battery will become totally useless with your hack, which is good...
In this case, it would be nice to completely disable backup battery monitoring. I know there is is a trick to hide battery warning messages (with resource tricking), but this is not a good solution: backup battery monitoring should be completely disabled. Any idea how to do this ?

Do you know if persistent storage will positively affect the main battery life ?

why is it not a good solution to remove the resources? all that code does is display those. and it results in fewer wasted bytes in the rom

by the way the code that displays the resources is in explorer.exe and this code is a callback, i don't feel like tracking that down.
EDIT: well i have done so in the end, wasn't hard after all. found the battery checks, might edit that code AND of course remove the resources too

don't know about battery life (i have extended batteries so don't really measure it), as i said i'll have some beta soon so you can test that aspect.

Edited by cmonex 2008-04-12 11:36 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.233 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 14