x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

custom roms for 900c!

« Prev ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 Next »
terryowen Page Icon Posted 2009-03-13 2:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have a NEC MP900 that I flashed with the cmonex rom from last year. I had been wanting to put Linux on the 900 but since the price of netbooks came down, I recently bought an Acer instead. It's flimsier than the 900 but works pretty well for email and video streaming.

Anyway, rather than put the unit on ebay, I was thinking of creating kind of a custom kids setup for the grandkids to use. I imagine that the older ones (8 & 9) wouldn't be happy using it since they love their flash gaming sites but the younger ones wouldn't know the difference - maybe - which makes me wonder how pre-schoolers got to be so tech savvy...

There is a Puppy Linux "Barbie" distro, which is kind of close to what I was thinking of. Colorful, cute icons, maybe some simple games - there might be something out there already (links?) for HPC but I haven't found anything like it.

I realize this isn't probably what you meant when soliciting input for custom roms but I imagine that quite a few unused handheld pcs could be given a fresh lease on life with a kid-friendly rom.

Terry
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-13 2:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

kitor: yep that's right...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-13 2:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

terryowen - 2009-03-13 8:39 PM

I have a NEC MP900 that I flashed with the cmonex rom from last year. I had been wanting to put Linux on the 900 but since the price of netbooks came down, I recently bought an Acer instead. It's flimsier than the 900 but works pretty well for email and video streaming.

Anyway, rather than put the unit on ebay, I was thinking of creating kind of a custom kids setup for the grandkids to use. I imagine that the older ones (8 & 9) wouldn't be happy using it since they love their flash gaming sites but the younger ones wouldn't know the difference - maybe - which makes me wonder how pre-schoolers got to be so tech savvy...

There is a Puppy Linux "Barbie" distro, which is kind of close to what I was thinking of. Colorful, cute icons, maybe some simple games - there might be something out there already (links?) for HPC but I haven't found anything like it.

I realize this isn't probably what you meant when soliciting input for custom roms but I imagine that quite a few unused handheld pcs could be given a fresh lease on life with a kid-friendly rom.

Terry

post this in the linux section on this forum nec 900c does have a compatible linux distro so you can make your own
 Top of the page
terryowen Page Icon Posted 2009-03-13 3:43 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

The Linux distro (henchman) has now been abandoned but even if hadn't been, for me the showstoppers were no sound, no usb and no power management. I never had any motivation to try it. (If those issues had been resolved, they never made it to an announcement.)

The Jornada Jlime is still active, though. Someone may eventually take over the MP development but there just isn't the same motivation now that there are so many versions of netbooks around.

Terry
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-14 10:54 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

no, those aren't resolved, though of those only power management bothers me personally.

netbooks are a different category, but of course for many people it's not really different.
 Top of the page
ZytaZiouZ Page Icon Posted 2009-03-15 2:46 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

As for persistent storage... I think I'd love that. I always forget to charge my 900c, and I admit I don't really use it anymore now that I have something to always remote into with the sigmarion, and an eee, depending on the task at hand. My only concern is how easy would it be to hard reset if it won't start CE (though I don't think I've ever managed that with CE)? How much of a difference does geared's shell make? I wouldn't mind a more modern feel, to be honest.

As far as eventually porting WM to it... if that meant no task bar I'd definitely so no. Hell, if I could make my mogul run windows CE but keep it's installed software, I would in a heartbeat.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-15 1:36 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

you can easily hard reset by loading a RAM OS (one that does not use PS) and clearing the internal disk, but I'm working on a RAM OS that will automatically do all that for you, also it will be a smaller image, so you can always keep it on a card no problem.

of course it would be great if I could find out if the bootloader can handle the internal disk, because then I could hack it to have an extra option for erasing the disk. (I don't have a problem with editing the bootloader in crazy ways as I have JTAG available)
of course if it doesn't have that functionality then nope (it would mean needing to recompile it all to be able to add more code (which would also have to be reversed from driver), and that's a big task)

Edited by cmonex 2009-03-15 1:41 PM
 Top of the page
ZytaZiouZ Page Icon Posted 2009-03-15 11:23 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

That does sound like a lot of work... I'd be happy having to load an OS off of the CF card via whatever means; after all I rarely have CE fail in such a way that it needs a hard reset. I can't recall any time specifically that happened, but maybe once...

Any specifics worth mentioning about geared's shell you are considering using?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-03-16 6:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

How about a target date for the first persistent memory release?
 Top of the page
Dan Page Icon Posted 2009-03-16 1:25 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Just a question..Since I (and maybe other people too?) don't make use of a lot of apps which are included in CR2, I was wondering if it would be possible (if others agree, of course) to get rid of them and let there only major software installed..this way more memory for RAM could be left. Then if some people want some of the removed apps they could install them by themselves (as all those apps are freeware).

Dan

Edited by Dan 2009-03-16 1:25 PM
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2009-03-16 5:13 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I like the Cmonex Rom v. 2, but I'll add to the calls for persistent memory in v. 3. I use my Palm z22 at work constantly. It is, of course, a very limited device, but if I forget to charge it, my data is still there. As it stands, I never use the MP900 for PIM. It's useful for typing a few notes or instant (but slooow) websurfing.

Incidentally, I have found that using www.google.ca/pda makes web surfing tolerable, but not fun.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-26 8:47 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Dan - 2009-03-16 7:25 PM

Just a question..Since I (and maybe other people too?) don't make use of a lot of apps which are included in CR2, I was wondering if it would be possible (if others agree, of course) to get rid of them and let there only major software installed..this way more memory for RAM could be left. Then if some people want some of the removed apps they could install them by themselves (as all those apps are freeware).

Dan

originally no need for that, because it's best to fully utilize the NOR ROM space, as it can't be used for anything else other than the OS image. (and the programs do not autorun on boot so they do not consume RAM obviously ) but in PS part of NAND is used too, and there you can save space. finding the best balance now

Edited by cmonex 2009-03-26 8:48 AM
 Top of the page
leep1977 Page Icon Posted 2009-03-30 8:27 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

cmonex.I use your rom for my nec 900c .but there is a question for my using .when I use some programs that need call gapi,my device's screen is suddenly black and turn off .and It isn't works by soft reset .I only use it by hard reset again.Some think that there is some friends wrong with your rom's gapi .Some delete gx.dll .Then they install hpc media player.So this soft dispose new gx.dll.But partial questions can be solved.still there some soft don't work.there are two options in your rom's gapi .hpc2000 and wince net4.2.If device is wince net4.2 system ,I choose appropriate option .as result,it will go wrong.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-30 12:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

leep1977 - 2009-03-30 2:27 PM

cmonex.I use your rom for my nec 900c .but there is a question for my using .when I use some programs that need call gapi,my device's screen is suddenly black and turn off .and It isn't works by soft reset .I only use it by hard reset again.Some think that there is some friends wrong with your rom's gapi .Some delete gx.dll .Then they install hpc media player.So this soft dispose new gx.dll.But partial questions can be solved.still there some soft don't work.there are two options in your rom's gapi .hpc2000 and wince net4.2.If device is wince net4.2 system ,I choose appropriate option .as result,it will go wrong.

please read the forum... common problem... I bet "some programs" is tcpmp and resco pic viewer... it's not due to GAPI it's NEC bug. stock NEC rom has this problem too. in tcpmp you simply disable backlight keep alive option, in advanced settings.

Edited by cmonex 2009-03-30 12:55 PM
 Top of the page
leep1977
leep1977 Page Icon Posted 2009-03-31 9:23 PM
#
thank you !cmonex,According to your suggestion,I have solved the problem well.now,playing video of my nec900c is good!
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 33