x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

mdb_1007
mdb_1007 Page Icon Posted 2007-03-07 7:53 PM
#
Is it possible to use kubuntu on the 720 or has any one tried?
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2007-03-09 11:57 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

mdb_1007 - 2007-03-07 4:53 PM

Is it possible to use kubuntu on the 720 or has any one tried?

Wouldn't it need to be compiled for StrongARM CPU?

Isn't ubuntu just a Debian based distro?

If you want to use linux on your 720 for now, try using '720degrees', a Debian based distro designed for the Jornada 72x series. I'm using it on my 728 and it works great!

Install is not too difficult....

Just need to partition a CF card into 2 partitions, 1 Windows (FAT) and 1 Linux partition. Copy about 5-6 install files onto FAT partition.
Put CF card into Jornada. Also, helps if you have a ethernet card for PC Card slot. Although I use my Socket Ethernet CF card in a PC Card adapter...
Do hard reset.
Calibrate screen.
Then open up Storage Card folder and double-tap on 'linexec' file and voila! Linux/Debian will start installing....
Go through Debian setup screens and then you'll get to command prompt.
Then if you have ethernet card inserted and connected to your network it should have already recognized card and network.
If so, then you can start updating your system using 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get dist-upgrade', just be logged in as root....
Then you can 'apt-get install icewm'.
Then logout as root and login as whatever user you setup.
Then type: 'startx' and voila! in a few seconds you'll see your desktop screen and you can go from there...

Your other choice in a while may be JLime as they're working on a release for the 72x series. Only official release right now is for the 6xx series...

HTH,

Mark
 Top of the page
mdbuck1007 Page Icon Posted 2007-03-09 6:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Mark
Thanks for the info, im a green horn at linux and downloaded kubuntu image and booted up my home machine. I love kubuntu and hate just about every part of windows since they have cornered the market.I've partitioned my CF card and am going to try booting jlime again since the first attempt failed.Thanks Again.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-03-13 7:39 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I'll be working on a Slackware release as well. Porting a distro takes time, but it is not impossible.

However, I have a feeling that you are attracted to Kubuntu because of the GUI, and that will not run on the 720.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9