x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NEC Mobilepro 780s for $129 & free S\H

1 2 3
Jornada 660lx Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 7:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

How is the screen color? i have heard of a color depth prob.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-24 9:06 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

sonnylarsen - 2005-03-23 1:20 PM

Ok so I am looking for something that size-wise is between my 12" notebook and a jornada 680...would the Mobilepro 780 qualify...?

Certainly. For several years, I was on the road a lot. I owned, over that time, 12 top-of-the-line Laptop, then notebook PCs. I quickly considered them lug-a-bout desktop PCs and I still do. Clam shell PDA technology handhelds were severely undermarketed. I did not hear of them until last year. I would gladly have paid $700 for a Jornada 680 when they were still being made, rather than $1,500 plus for a lug-a-bout that did not come with a built in modem, infrared, loaded with nearly every business program a road warrior needs. Jornadas came complete with everything I would have needed in a mobile PC and it is small but big enough for big hands (I am 6' 3" 230 pounds) to speed type on the 73% full size keyboard!

In my opinion, Jornada's are rugged, especially compared to laptop PCs. I know many people who dropped a $2,000 plus laptop or notebook only two feet or so and totally ruined it! Like clock work it seemed, the screen cracked. Much of the time I have my Jornada in a thin leather case my wife made. I have dropped it three times so far. No damage whatsoever. (I do not recommend dropping them)

My advice is to look around & carefully compare the Jornada 680\690, 720\728 and the NEC MobilePro 780\790... I am very happy with my J 680e but based on what I know now I would have purchased a NEC 780 and the upgrade RAM chip (unityelectronics.com). You can get one now for $119 to $129 from good working order to refurbished with a warranty [usedhandhelds.com & topchoicecloseouts.com or unityelectronics.com]. Personally, I do not think the J790, J728 or NEC 790 are worth the much higher prices sellers demand.
--Bruised
 Top of the page
Jornada 660lx Page Icon Posted 2005-03-26 12:06 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

i bought the last one from usedhandhelds yesterday, so dont go there with the mp780 in mind.

Edited by Jornada 660lx 2005-03-26 12:06 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-26 8:24 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Don’t despair; there are many other places for the mobile pro 780 priced at $129 to $150. I don't think they are shipped for free though
http://store.yahoo.com/saveateaglestore/necmo7808lcd.html?ovchn=OTH...

http://www.software-blowouts.com/necmo780r.html

http://www.hk94.com/B00005BHRV.shtml
to name a few
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 1:13 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

How Does Jornada 680/90, Jornada 720/28 & NEC MobilePro 780/90 COMPARE?

In real world, practical terms how do they compare?

I am familiar with the specs list for all of them. I have only seen the one I own, the J 680. I love the 680 size and keyboard, BUT I would like a brighter, quicker Screen & a good Speaker & Stereo headphone socket. Does the 720 have the external audio controls?

{I think the 780/90 MobilePro is bigger than I want or need}

Is the J 720 worth over double the price of the J680\90? Is the J 720 screen significantly brighter, faster? Is the sound significantly better?

I have an excellent highly modifiable PDA. I mostly use a handheld PC for data input but sound would be nice. Can you listen to audio and type at the same time with the j 720? Does the J 720 make a decent audio book?

--Bruised
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 2:47 PM
#
H/PC Elder

bruisedquasar - 2005-03-29 11:13 AM

How Does Jornada 680/90, Jornada 720/28 & NEC MobilePro 780/90 COMPARE?

In real world, practical terms how do they compare?

I am familiar with the specs list for all of them. I have only seen the one I own, the J 680. I love the 680 size and keyboard, BUT I would like a brighter, quicker Screen & a good Speaker & Stereo headphone socket. Does the 720 have the external audio controls?

{I think the 780/90 MobilePro is bigger than I want or need}

Is the J 720 worth over double the price of the J680\90? Is the J 720 screen significantly brighter, faster? Is the sound significantly better?

I have an excellent highly modifiable PDA. I mostly use a handheld PC for data input but sound would be nice. Can you listen to audio and type at the same time with the j 720? Does the J 720 make a decent audio book?

--Bruised

I believe the common ground they share is the old DSTN LCD ... ...

Speedwise ... J6x0 >> MP7x0 >> J72x

The J72x has a SA chip at 200Mhz ... which is I believe speedier than the rest.
Some of the J700s are priced close to $300 or more, and that is when I would rather get a Sharp Zaurus C700. It runs linux with QTopia, has a PXA250@400Mhz, TFT screen, swivel screen to go from HPC mode to PDA mode! It has CF and SD slot (I think!)

So far as I've researched, drivers are mostly not an issue, as long as you identify the chipset of the cards you use. wifi cards based on Prism chipsets are supported out of the box!

Only flaw/strength is its size. It spans a 5.25 CD in its width, but its keyboard is membrane type, not the laptop Jornada type. From what some reviewers say, it is still usable, though not touch typeable. Granted, there are some who find the Jornadas too small for touch typing too. The MobilePros are truly touchtypeable. But it comes with a too-big-for-pocket size.
 Top of the page
Jornada 660lx Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 5:27 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

<p>
Snappy! - 2005-03-29 2:47 PM
</p><p>Only flaw/strength is its size. It spans a 5.25 CD in its width, but its keyboard is membrane type, not the laptop Jornada type. From what some reviewers say, it is still usable, though not touch typeable. Granted, there are some who find the Jornadas too small for touch typing too. The MobilePros are truly touchtypeable. But it comes with a too-big-for-pocket size.
</p><p /><p>These are actually <em>Handheld</em> pc s that we are talking about, not POcket pc s</p>
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 9:35 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i think 728 is best (biased hehe)
720 is ok too, if you don't want to open 5 tabs in netfront 3.0 hehehe (it can deal with 5 IE's, though) because of netfront being a memory hog.

screen is somewhat better than the 680's (at least i read so - have never owned a 680), audio is good.
i never listen to music (not with the 720 and not with anything else) but now i tried playing music (built-in songs) and typing at the same time. there were no problems at all.

is it worth the price? depends on only you and your needs (and your money)!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 10:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Jornada 660lx - 2005-03-29 3:27 PM

<p>
</p><p>Only flaw/strength is its size. It spans a 5.25 CD in its width, but its keyboard is membrane type, not the laptop Jornada type. From what some reviewers say, it is still usable, though not touch typeable. Granted, there are some who find the Jornadas too small for touch typing too. The MobilePros are truly touchtypeable. But it comes with a too-big-for-pocket size.
</p><p /><p>These are actually <em>Handheld</em> pc s that we are talking about, not POcket pc s</p>

err ... your point being? ... I pointed out the Zaurus c700 as it can operate in the HandheldPC factor style, aka clamshell design.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-02 4:54 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

some of the J700s are priced close to $300 or more, and that is when I would rather get a Sharp Zaurus C700. It runs linux with QTopia

Snappy, thank you for informing me about the Sharp Zaurus line. I did some research on the Zaurus. Good luck getting a C700! Owners seem to keep their Zaurus clamshells until they wear out. I can see why. These things are hot! I found someone who is shipping SL-C1000s from Japan for a good price but I am concerned about customs and other taxes. Know of an American company that sells Zaurus?

It appears possible to get a used SL- C860 for about $300. I would not want anything less myself. Now, designers at Sharp are doing some serious out of the box thinking. I read posts where 860 users claimed that they run several programs at once and could have run more! And the screens are very nice, bright and clear. I am looking for an 860 now. If I must I will go with the newer 1000 but the 860 will do nicely. Amazing. For the price of a HP or Dell PDA, we can get a real mobile handheld, running a variant of Linux no less.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-02 7:39 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Bruised ... you are most welcome! ... matter of fact, the fact that Sharp can make a decent profit with this kind of specs for the C700/750/760/860/1000/3000 only goes to show how greedy HPs and the rest are!

Yes, the 860 is very decent and might just be the holy grail of HPC! (Never mind that PS don't agree that the 860 is not a HPC! )

The 860 is a very decent handheld. Actually, that's an understatement. I think its very good, with 400Mhz, TFT etc. I believe it has USB host too (yes?).

Only grunt about it is its slightly smaller than J680e size. But I guess that's what made it sell in Japan.

Oh well ...
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 1:41 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Snappy! - 2005-04-02 7:39 PM

that Sharp can make a decent profit with this kind of specs for the C700/750/760/860/1000/3000 only goes to show how greedy HPs and the rest are!
Yes, the 860 is very decent and might just be the holy grail of HPC!
The 860 is a very decent handheld. Actually, that's an understatement. I think its very good, with 400Mhz, TFT etc. I believe it has USB host too (yes?).
Only grunt about it is its slightly smaller than J680e size. But I guess that's what made it sell in Japan.

After you told me about the C700, I invested a few hours investigating Sharp Zaurus line. I was delighted by what I found. Yes, the 860 is the first Zaurus that is setup so PCs see them as an external hard drive. Users really love this feature, which is a standard Zaurus feature now in the 1000 and 3000 lines. Yes, the 860 keyboard is smaller but Western users post that the engineering is such that you can input data with it as well as with the J 680.

I was amazed at what the 860 sold for new! About $500! Great speaker and head phone socket systems and the 3000 comes with a built-in micro drive. I read posts from Zaurus users who talk about easily running several apps simultaneously.

Japan has very high taxes on all foreign goods. Gas is over $5 a gallon. Yet, handheld pricing is amazingly lower there than here. Since handhelds are marketed to a broad consumer market in Japan, I wonder if the lower prices are partly a function of economy of scale, of making and selling many more units.

It is my analysis that so long as Microsoft dominates the computing industry in the USA, PDAs will be mostly toys and no handheld will be marketed to consumers. ( I hope voicing this opinion does not launch the emotional reactions from MS loyalists that criticism of MS usually does. I guess 2 billion plus yearly in TV advertising & hype buys a lot. I know a PhD Psychologist who used to work on the MS advertising dream team)

I decided my next handheld will be either the Zaurus 860 or 1000. The 1000 and 3000 (a significantly more expensive 1000 with a 4 gig micro drive). Since the Zaurus line is Linux, there are serious user sites devoted to Zaurus and to the Sharp Linux variant and I understand the software from the 600 on works in the newest Zaurus. If I can find a like new 860, I want one as they are no longer made. I found a person in Japan (eBay) who ships factory sealed 860s but he cannot (or will not) provide information on custom duties, etc. He does include the Japanese to English translator and instructions for installing it. For some reason, Sharp does not have English language ROM Chips for non-Japanese consumers.

I have seen photos of the 600 through 1000 screens. Remarkable Quality!

--Bruised
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 2:51 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Now lets not all start leaving the forum...

As for what I have done on my 720, I have opened about 70 windows at the same time (CE itself wouldn't let me open any more, I had 5mb more ram left.

Other times, I have played ogg vorbis files through the headphones, talked on AIM, surfed the web, checked my email, and typed at the same time. There isn't any lag if I type and listen at the same time, which is great for when I want to be creative.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 3:19 PM
#
H/PC Elder

On the contrary ... me thinks maybe HPC factor can grow to embrace newer HPC-like devices like the Sharp Zaurus ... ...

Maybe a new column for that?
 Top of the page
Rohan
Rohan Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 6:35 AM
#
My understanding is that packages under $2000 are not taxed so you should not have to worry about customs and taxes. www.pricejapan.com (who I ordered my SL-C860 from) consistently have the lowest prices, respond quickly to emails, and ship promptly. With the SL-C1000/3000 you can easily attach a USB external keyboard for those times when you need to quickly enter a lot of text, a limitation that bothered me with my SL-C860 (until it was stolen).

Rohan
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 9