x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Prebuilt Jornada 7xx linux image

[Frozen]
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Frozen
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-03-17 1:52 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I've uploaded an 0.8.2 familiar base with opie desktop. I've added quite a bit to the base, like gcc, python, irssi, console-tools etc etc. Also installed practically every opie/qpe application. Also made numerous other changes to config files, startup scripts, etc. The ipkg repositories are already set up and ready to use.

The system is setup to autologin as root and boot directly to opie desktop. Please dont ask me to change that. If you dont like it, dont use it, or change it yourself. Again, i'm sharing *my* image with you. Feel free to change whatever you dont like.

I'm currently having a problem with opera 7.55 segfaulting on certain pages, so this release will currently use opera 6 instead.

Download is located here. http://freeshells.ch/~wicked74/j720/opie720/

Please read the ABOUT.TXT first as it has some important information.

More applications found here. http://familiar.handhelds.org/releases/v0.8.2/feed

Also if you are installing to a 720 change the params.txt to say mem=32
or leave it as is for a 728. Its been tested on both.

I dont have time to answer questions and emails, however the forums here should cover 99% of what you need to know anyway.

Cheers.

Edited by RTFM 2007-03-17 2:23 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-17 2:35 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

cool, you rock
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-03-19 6:46 AM
#
H/PC Elite

For anyone who may have grabbed my image in the last few days, i've uploaded a lighter build. I cleaned up about 30 megs of useless remnants. New download size is 53 meg and unpacks to 140 meg. Also updated the ABOUT.TXT and added a few things i forget like ssh.

On a side note, it is not meant to compete against any other jornada distro, just a 3rd option to maybe 'fill the void'.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
raul Page Icon Posted 2007-03-20 3:06 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Looks very promissing Maybe I will give it a shot

One question: is there some suspend mode?

Edited by raul 2007-03-20 3:44 AM
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-03-20 12:37 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Sort of. If you hit the power button it shuts off the screen, pcmcia etc and drops the cpu to 53mhz. Until the bugs are worked out of the 2.6 kernel thats what we are stuck with for 'suspend'.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2007-03-20 4:42 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

sounds interesting.
pretty interesting.
I may play a bit with this (as well as with other linux distros) this weekend probably.
Does it have sound support? wifi drivers (prism or something)? self-powered rocket launcher?

(I can live without the last feature anyway)

Edited by ShadowMaster 2007-03-20 4:43 PM
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-03-20 11:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Yep, its linux It supports sound, wifi of all flavors, prism, orinoco, wavelan etc etc. Bluetooth support however hasnt been compiled in this kernel, it's using an older 2.4 kernel which i find works very well otherwise. As for the self powered rocket launcher, if anybody can code one, its you. heh.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 9:37 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi RTFM

Very nice and working like a charm!! Ideal for people like me!!!
Good option for linux in j720!!!
Do you have a ibm z50, don't you? We z50 users only have a 7 years old kernel available!!! Well I'll be waiting and sometime somewhere somebody will compile a fully functional 2.6.xx kernel!!! Hope will happen sooner than later.

We owe you some beers!!!
Cheers

oski
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 11:25 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Glad to hear you had no issues installing and using it. Opie takes a bit to get use to in my opinion, but is rather nice.

Nope, no z50 for me, so it wont be me building the kernel for it.

Cyber-beer. Hmmm, you may be on to something there. Heh.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 1:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

downloading
any special instruction for extraction or something? (if you happen to read this before the download finishes , if you don't, it may be useful for other people anyway (or myself If I can't figure it out))
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 1:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi All,

In my case just extracting and copying ext2 to the card did not work. Got the infamous "unable to open an initial console". IMHO when copying extracted ext2, /dev is not complete and many links were broken.
I just made a new ext2.tgz and extracted it directly on the microdrive mounted on /mnt/ext2.
An voila!! everything works.
Will be better to provide two tarballs, one for fat and one for ext2???
Cheers
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 2:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

oski, the same applies to me. I got the "initial console warning" followed by the almighty kernel panic I'll try your method now. I guess if that solves the issue, the best would be to have two different tarballs as oski suggest.

EDIT: My problem was due the fact I was extracting the file to a fat mounted partition, so ownership and symlinks were not created at that stage... .
It's booting now

Edited by ShadowMaster 2007-03-22 2:39 PM
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 4:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I guess i never ran into that issue because i never really ever extracted the files. I always use mc (midnight commander) which can 'open' tar archives without extracting them, just highlight the tarball and hit enter, and you can copy the files right from there. Another option is extract the archive on a linux pc, or even live cd ( granted you have about 200 meg free for the unpacking ). Then copy the files to CF, as root user. Those are the 2 easiest ways to go about it without having permission and symlink issues.

e.g copy all the files from /fat to /dev/sda1 and all the files from /ext2 to /dev/sda2

If more people have problems i may make 2 seperate tarballs, although its always best to do the CF partitioning and installation from a true linux pc. Eh, we'll see what happens.

Cheers.

Edited by RTFM 2007-03-22 4:08 PM
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 4:45 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

BTW, works pretty well.
I had some SEGMENTATION FAULT problems anyway, but I guess is due the limited RAM of the 720.
GAIM throws it at about 66% of handshake, then it obviously quits.
However, it's an amazingly easy to install setup and works like a charm (inside a reasonable frame of tolerance)
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 5:26 PM
#
H/PC Elite

You could always make a swap file if the 720 is running out of ram. 32 megs should be plenty.
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/swap bs=1024 count=32000
# /sbin/mkswap /tmp/swap 32000
# /sbin/swapon /tmp/swap
That should give you about a 31 meg swap file, and it makes quite a difference on the 720. The you could write a small bash script, or edit a bootscript to auto start swap on boot, or just swapon manually after every boot.

I also found with gaim, dont log into all 4 services at once, it crashes. Start each service seperately and it works peachy.

Cheers.

Edited by RTFM 2007-03-22 5:28 PM
 Top of the page
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11