x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Palmax PD1000 - at last!

1 2 3
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2007-03-21 4:22 AM
#
H/PC Elite

The geek in me is so excited, so I thought I'd share...

I've been waiting for one of these for a long time. VGA touch screen, really, really tiny form factor. I've just upgraded it from Win 98 gold to running Windows 98SE. It is smaller than my Picturebook C1X and much smaller than my Izzi-Pro.

CF card SSD in the foreground just waiting for the hard drive contents to be ghosted. An H/PC in the making!

Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2007-03-21 5:07 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

! How much money did it cost?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-03-21 5:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Very sweet looking...I didn't see a touchpad, is it touchscreen?

Rich
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-03-21 5:38 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah it's a touch screen...

And a very nice little machine, specs below;

KEY FEATURES
PERFORMANCE
Cyrix MediaGX Pentium-level CPU running at 166Mhz, 32MB EDO DRAM, 6.1" TFT Display, 1.6/2.1GB Fast HDD
COMPATIBILITY
Windows 95/98, ACPI, USB, IrDA, PCMCIA/PC Card
PORTABILITY
Slim:8.4"(L) x 4.8"(W) x 1.4"(H)
214mm(L) x 124(W) x 37(H)
Weight : 2.3 lbs (1045 grams)
USER FRIENDLY
Keyboard: reasonable size for easy typewriting, Pointing Device : analog type Touch Panel operated by using a stylus or even your finger
EXPANDABILITY
Port Module, Docking Station

Edited by mr-mac 2007-03-21 5:39 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-21 5:48 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

its design is nicer than a libretto.. and wow, touch screen. but after my libretto M3 with 64mb ram (soon 96) i wouldn't stand win98 again (it runs win2k now quite happily!) also why is it 1kg!?

how is the battery in this thing?

where did you get it and for how much?
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 4:57 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Sorry, busy with work!

It was cheap, off eBay, just over £90.
As you might imagine the battery life is appalling, but the touch screen with its high pixel density makes up for it.

I doubt the specs will take Win2K, but with Win98SE it works fine, not too slow at all.

I'll post more pics later when I have had a chance to tweak it a little bit more.

I can't get over how small it is!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 4:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Didn't Palmax make a Palm-size PC once?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 5:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ZSX - 2007-03-22 10:57 PM

Sorry, busy with work!

It was cheap, off eBay, just over £90.
As you might imagine the battery life is appalling, but the touch screen with its high pixel density makes up for it.

I doubt the specs will take Win2K, but with Win98SE it works fine, not too slow at all.

I'll post more pics later when I have had a chance to tweak it a little bit more.

I can't get over how small it is!

let me guess - is it 1 hour? on the libretto the standard battery lasts about 1 hour the extended lasts 3-4 hours which is strange, it should be just twice the capacity of the std.. is there an extended for the palmax? i'd upgrade its ram as well if it is possible. is it? if the answer is yes to both of these questions, i would consider getting one because its design and the touch screen is cool.
win2k needs at least 64mb ram to run ok and then you still have to tweak it to get it running well. did you tweak win98 to run well? because it didn't for me on 32, i didn't try to make it better with hacks though, i got fed up with win98 and got another libretto that had 64mb ram and installed win2k. (the actual story is more complicated than that. i got fed up with 32mb ram because i like doing multitasking and that's why i got the 64mb libretto, then i lost hibernation on it with win98 so had to install win2k but i'm glad i did)

Edited by cmonex 2007-03-22 5:28 PM
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 5:44 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Oops, system got confused again! See below!

Edited by ZSX 2007-03-22 5:45 PM
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 5:44 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Thought I'd show off my "babies"

L to R: Fujitsu Lifebook P2120, Samsung Izzi Pro, Sony Picturebook PCG-C1X, Palmax PD-1000

In terms of design the Palmax reminds me of a slightly larger version of the black Nintendo DS Lite (or, since the Palmax dates from 1998, should it be the other way around?). I have seen RAM upgrades on-line, but not an extended battery - to be honest, with WiFi on I am lucky to get 30 minutes. Without WiFi you are right, about an hour is the maximum. I do have the expansion port though, which adds a serial, parallel and proprietary CD drive port to the PC.

Yes, I use very hacked versions of Win98SE. In fact, I would say it is the OS I am most comfortable playing around with. My plan is to configure it then transfer the image to a CF card and have it boot of flash a la Rich Hawley.

Palmax did make a Ps/PC at one stage, called the PD-300 I think. It had a CF camera attachment which I believe was a first.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 6:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ZSX - 2007-03-22 3:44 PM

Thought I'd show off my "babies"

[Snip]

In terms of design the Palmax reminds me of a slightly larger version of the black Nintendo DS Lite (or, since the Palmax dates from 1998, should it be the other way around?). I have seen RAM upgrades on-line, but not an extended battery - to be honest, with WiFi on I am lucky to get 30 minutes. Without WiFi you are right, about an hour is the maximum. I do have the expansion port though, which adds a serial, parallel and proprietary CD drive port to the PC.

[Snip]

QUOTE]

Congrats!

This takes me back some years, I bought a new Palmax PD-1100 (266Mhz version...) back in '98 or '99....was nice at the time....basically a 'Libretto 110CT with a USB port and touchscreen'...

Only thing to be aware of is the difficulty now of getting parts if you need them...went through shipping my PD-1100 back to Taiwan to get it fixed....

Finally sold it a few years back....when I emailed the guy who bought it about 2 weeks later, I got a very weird email back.....he said that he tried reinstalling Windoze or something like that, had problems, so he thought PD-1100 was broken...When I emailed back saying that it wasn't broken and offered to help, he replied that it was too late as he burnt it the day before....pretty strange.....

Anyway, enjoy your lil' lappy!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 7:02 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ZSX - 2007-03-22 11:44 PM

Yes, I use very hacked versions of Win98SE. In fact, I would say it is the OS I am most comfortable playing around with. My plan is to configure it then transfer the image to a CF card and have it boot of flash a la Rich Hawley.

Palmax did make a Ps/PC at one stage, called the PD-300 I think. It had a CF camera attachment which I believe was a first.

thanks for the answer what is the max ram you can upgrade this thing to? 64? 96?

wow how do you tolerate win98, its crashes etc?
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 2:06 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Yes, the PD1100 was a higher spec'd model, but I have never seen them anywhere despite years of looking. It was better in almost every way - faster processor, more RAM, much better docking station. I would gladly have taken it off your hands, and probably not burnt it (although the PD1000 can get pretty hot!)

cmonex - 2007-03-23 12:02 AM

thanks for the answer what is the max ram you can upgrade this thing to? 64? 96?

wow how do you tolerate win98, its crashes etc?

According the manual it is 64MB upgrade max. It also states that it is not user upgradeable, however it also says the same of the hard drive and I have already upgraded that one myself.

As for Win98, SE is, for me, tolerably stable. It is much more stable than "gold" which was little more than Win95 with a pretty shell. I guess it is like any relationship - you need to know how far you can push it before it walks out, and even when you play by the rules, it will still throw the odd, unpredictable tantrum!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 3:59 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i dunno, i dont require much but win98 will still crash easily

here's an example:

i tried to compare the multitasking capabilities of my libretto 70ct running win98SE (32mb ram) and my libretto M3 (64mb ram.. soon 96!) running tweaked win2k (so that 40mb of the ram is available with nothing running).
i ran and left totalcommander running then ran IE5.0 on both (even though the M3 can handle 6.0 too quite well), loaded a page (a forum page with 100 posts on it), then ran opera 8.51 and opened 3 tabs + loaded pages in them. when i tried loading a fifth page to compare them further, win2k happily loaded it, but win98 froze hard.
is running 3 apps asking too much?
anyway the M3 seriously beat the 98SE machine in speed of multitasking and loading single pages (with not much multitasking - cpu difference i guess)

but you should know: i've never used the original win98 much. i had it on the 70ct when i bought it and it was constantly bsod'ing, as it was full of virii. so i wouldn't count that one experience.
i did use win95 for years and it wasn1t that bad, it crashed/rebooted spontaneously once a week or so. still, not very tolerable for me. (let's not forget here that i was on dialup so i didnt download too much stuff. .. less load on that win95)

anyway back on topic, if you see a 64mb palmax let me know

Edited by cmonex 2007-03-23 4:04 AM
 Top of the page
AndiF
AndiF Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 4:12 AM
#
Yes, I use very hacked versions of Win98SE. In fact, I would say it is the OS I am most comfortable playing around with. My plan is to configure it then transfer the image to a CF card and have it boot of flash

Maybe you should consider trying Damn Small Linux (www.damnsmalllinux.org) on it.
Had Win98SE on my Libretto 100 which performed rather slow.
DSL (now 3.3 installed as Debian) gave it a second life.

Andreas
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 8