x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Palmax PD1000 - at last!

1 2 3
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 5:14 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I had a look at Linux distros for the PD1000 (SL (pre-'D'!), Puppy even a version of Gentoo). As the device is pretty old and also quite rare, there hasn't been much activity on it. The touchscreen drivers do work though, which is good news. WiFi and power management are the usual issues.

On a side note: the PD-100 comes with a USB host port which I just cannot get the Win98 to recognize. Perhaps I'll need to poke round the BIOS a bit.
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 6:33 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

ZSX - 2007-03-22 6:44 PM

Thought I'd show off my "babies"

L to R: Fujitsu Lifebook P2120, Samsung Izzi Pro, Sony Picturebook PCG-C1X, Palmax PD-1000

In terms of design the Palmax reminds me of a slightly larger version of the black Nintendo DS Lite (or, since the Palmax dates from 1998, should it be the other way around?). I have seen RAM upgrades on-line, but not an extended battery - to be honest, with WiFi on I am lucky to get 30 minutes. Without WiFi you are right, about an hour is the maximum. I do have the expansion port though, which adds a serial, parallel and proprietary CD drive port to the PC.

Yes, I use very hacked versions of Win98SE. In fact, I would say it is the OS I am most comfortable playing around with. My plan is to configure it then transfer the image to a CF card and have it boot of flash a la Rich Hawley.

Palmax did make a Ps/PC at one stage, called the PD-300 I think. It had a CF camera attachment which I believe was a first.

I just love your Sony Picturebook PCG-C1X. I'd love to get one myself, maybe I will have to look around on eBay a bit.

Anyhow, I'm sure it will run Windows 2000 nicely, I've run 2000 on some pretty old machines and it has never stopped working.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 8:43 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ZSX - 2007-03-23 10:14 AM

I had a look at Linux distros for the PD1000 (SL (pre-'D'!), Puppy even a version of Gentoo). As the device is pretty old and also quite rare, there hasn't been much activity on it. The touchscreen drivers do work though, which is good news. WiFi and power management are the usual issues.

On a side note: the PD-100 comes with a USB host port which I just cannot get the Win98 to recognize. Perhaps I'll need to poke round the BIOS a bit.

Thought of trying NetBSD on it?

I kinda like the way the drivers are written for the chipset and independent of the bus so if the chipset is catered for in the kernel it should work...

Guess it would be worth a look. I use NetBSD 4.0 on an old IBM Laptop and everything works inc my Wi-fi, the USB, CF and PCMCIA slots and the Thinkport.
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 8:47 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Haven't really tried NetBSD on anything before. There is a certain level of geekery associated with BSD which makes me hesitant to walk down that path!

Thanks for your suggestion though, might give it a shot when I have some time.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 9:02 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I ain't a computer geek - I use computers a lot and am more clued up than the avg punter (usually learn most stuff as I tend to want to know how things work and try and solve problems myself).

Though I did cut me teeth on Risc OS machines a good few years ago and only discovered NetBSD as it is an alternate OS that will run on an old acorn RISC PC so I thought I would give it a go on my X86 laptop...

TBH the installation was dead easy for someone with just a little knowledge. I would say though don't try and format a dual boot one on first go... use another HDD all of it's own to experiment then you can swap if for the 98 HDD for day to day use till you are happy with NetBSD...

I downloaded the NetBSD 4.0 Beta kernel and made a boot floppy - It booted and set up the HDD then it installed automatically via FTP (well I used HTTP option as it was a lot faster for me)....

Once installed the PKG_ADD command is your friend and it took no time at all to install lots of pre-built binaries (KDE, GNOME, Opera, Firefox, GIMP, OO all the usual suspects)...

Currently I have settled on ROX filer and OroboROX WM as it's fast and easy to use (though a little experimentation was require to get it set up the way I wanted)... I think NetBSD suits older hardware as it is fast and stripped down to start with and you only add the software you want.

Anyway if you do decide to give it a go I hope it works nicely. If only there were some more pre-built binaries for the Jornada I would happily install NetBSD on it today but I aint compiling every app I want to try....

GoodLuck with your shiney new handtop pc.

John

Edited by mr-mac 2007-03-23 9:03 AM
 Top of the page
eladeyal
eladeyal Page Icon Posted 2007-03-27 2:45 AM
#
Hi

I have a pd-1000 which I bought circa 2000, with the original 1.44 floppy disk.

With the screen partly functional, the touchscreen in an undetermined state, the battery not charging and the OS constantly crashing I eventually gave it up.

It just sits there in the dark, useless.

Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2007-03-27 3:04 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Welcome to HPC:factor - that is an interesting first post!

I guess I have been comparatively lucky in that the hardware largely works. That said, Direct X is not supported on the Cyrix processor, which means my game emulators won't work . Also, the WiFi can be rather flakey and opening certain web pages can crash the OS (using IE6 with a Maxthon overlay). And I still can't get the USB port to be recognized.
 Top of the page
Mike1978 Page Icon Posted 2021-05-01 11:11 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

It’s 2021 and I fell across a PALMAX PD1100 which I bought late last night. Weirdly enough another seller also had a 128mb module and a file to load it (which I can only assume is a patch of some kind for the bios? )
So looking for information I came across this post, sounds like it’s a lucky / rare find. The previous owner had it for 8 years so they don’t come up too often. If anyone on the forum still has one of these and can advise me further I’m always open to learn more. I’ve found links about installing Linux which I may have a go at. I’d also like to move it to an ssd hopefully it’s a standard IDE. While I install the memory I may as well attempt to upgrade it if I’m able. I’m also curious should anyone know about the CD connector from the dock and if compatible CD drives are known about for me to try and find.

Thanks for the post, after all this time I still found it interesting!

Mike
 Top of the page
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-05-02 1:32 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I saw that come up on ebay, but have enough librettos and vaio c1s that I was not tempted this time

How does it compare to a libretto? Thought they look similar, except the touch screen.

Id put 98 on it and do some retro gaming, thats what I use my small PC laptops for!

The tiny IBM 486 has always tempted me, but again, I already have too much hardware and too little time!
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-05-02 10:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I bought a PD1100 brand new long time ago. (see my post from years ago on page 1 of this thread)

Also, had the Libretto 100CT and 110CT's.

Enjoyed both.

As I recall, one nice feature on the PD1100 was a built-in USB port, which Libretto's did not have.

Mark
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-05-03 4:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, but the Libretto is the only PC I've ever had that has a built-in infrared port. (I still have my 110CT buried somewhere in this junkpile I call home.)
 Top of the page
Mike1978 Page Icon Posted 2021-05-03 5:42 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

The IBM Palmtop PC110 also has infrared btw I know as I own a few.

I have a libretto 50,60,70 and this looked pretty neat. Amazed Toshiba didn’t shut them down as far as I can see it looks exactly like a libretto but black.

Only one early type of Libretto had a touchscreen a version of the 50 but that doesn’t come up so often for sale.

Not including the dual screen w105 which is an interesting machine but sadly underpowered (another of my collection)

Maybe Toshiba had a hand in the palmax or sold them the rights ??

Mine is still to arrive but looking forward to exploring it further.

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-05-03 5:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mike1978 - 2021-05-03 9:42 AM

[snip...]

I have a libretto 50,60,70 and this looked pretty neat. Amazed Toshiba didn’t shut them down as far as I can see it looks exactly like a libretto but black.

[snip.... ]

Maybe Toshiba had a hand in the palmax or sold them the rights ??

Mine is still to arrive but looking forward to exploring it further.

Palmax and Libretto are similar, but not the exact same design.

Wish I'd kept my PD1100....

Mark

Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2021-05-04 10:51 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Palmax did make a Ps/PC at one stage, called the PD-300 I think. It had a CF camera attachment which I believe was a first.

Just if anyone is curious about their PPC, it was called @migo, first PPC to incorporate a PCMCIA card slot!
http://www.pencomputing.com/frames/textblock_palmax_amigo.html
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-05-05 1:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That was a Pocket PC. Palmax did have a Palm-size PC prior to that, and it was called the PD-300, and ran Windows CE 2.01. See the middle of this page:

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/20/palmpcpics.htm
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.236 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 15