x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 + Linux + Qt GUI Apps = ?

Kolya Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 1:10 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

A few questions from a newborn 720 user:

Is J720 mighty enough to run GUI apps written with Qt (v4 or v3, desktop, not embedded)? Not just any Qt apps, but specially written for 720.

Will that require KDE? (What desktop environments come with all that linux distros for Jornadas?)

I've read that it's recommended to put linux swap onto NFS for speed reasons. But if I put it to CF card instead, will it be still quite comfortable to work (web, icq, mail, reading pdfs and etc. common tasks)? As far as I remember, J72x works with CF at ~1,5 Mb/s. (though the card itself can be read/written at ~20/10 Mb/s)

I'm not a linux pro, and I've never tried installing linux on Jornada yet, just would like to do some programming for it and to find out the best way of doing that. Any opinions are welcome!

Edited by Kolya 2007-03-22 1:11 AM
 Top of the page
Kolya Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 2:47 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've found out that Opie is a Qtopia fork and it's binary compatible with apps developed for Qtopia, so my 1st question is resolved

Still not sure about swap on CF..

Edited by Kolya 2007-03-22 2:47 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-03-26 7:05 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Swap on cf will eventually wear down the card. If you can get a microdrive for cheap and need to use swap, it is a good alternative.
 Top of the page
Kolya Page Icon Posted 2007-04-03 8:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

ProgramSynthesiser, thanks for advice
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 17