x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Restore CE after Linux shutdown?

rlw Page Icon Posted 2007-03-29 9:03 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

After playing with RTFM's Linux image, it occurred to me that there might be a way to restore CE after a Linux shutdown, without resorting to the kludgy "pull the battery" hard-reset.

What if, on the first boot of Linux, the contents of the CE's RAM were copied to the CF card? Actually, it would have to happen at the very beginning of running linexec.exe. It would involve making a bigger FAT partition, since the EXT partition wouldn't be visible until the kernel boots, and by then the CE memory image is kaput. This could even have a prompt that asks the user if she wants to preserve the CE image, saving time for those who don't want to wait for Linux to start.

A modified shutdown command could look for and restore the image to /proc/kmem as its last dying gasp. I'm sure there would have to be some kind of process relocation to restore the kmem image without overwriting the process that's doing the restoring.

A warm boot would then see the original CE image, and all would be well with the world. Returning to the Linux OS would be a matter of re-running linexec.exe, returning to CE would be a matter of doing nothing.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this, and my simplistic idea probably has a whole lot of holes in it, but it would be a great feature to have.

RLW
 Top of the page
jlime
jlime Page Icon Posted 2007-03-29 9:23 AM
#
This idea has been around for quite some time. We're working on something like this at the moment for JLime. It may work, it may not.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 58 - Executed queries : 9