x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

is it OK to leave Jornada ON for extended periods?

1 2
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 12:25 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-03-30 12:50 PM

How about just leaving the battery out and keeping it on AC...

Snappy!, would it have been a better idea to just store the battery partially charged?

Well, one can leave it on AC completely, and store the battery either full or partially charge (> 50% pref). But this means that if the AC goes off (think major blackout last year!) while you are on a long trip, the HPC is being hardreset once the internal CR batts die. Then you have the prob of loosing your state and replacing the internal batt.

Granted, the place I'm staying is almost off-grid, and we have a huge diesel engine to provide backup power. But its not exactly the bestest system, so it tends to create spikes when switch over to backup and then back. Many bulbs died from it. I think the AC adapter might just get fried ... even with a surge protector. And trust me, I'm not exactly into going through the whole routine to get the AC adapter replaced by the surge protector company bla bla bla ...

EDIT: Think power over-redundancy and you see where I am going ... ... of maybe I should have had everything plugged into a UPS (Uninterrupted thingie) ...

Edited by Snappy! 2005-03-31 12:36 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 12:59 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Oh I forgot you don't have the greatest backup program for you 790...StrongArm SCORES!!! StrongArm 3 Mips 2

-But you are running NetBSD on there so it doesn't matter right?

--UPS = Uninterrupted Power Supply (I know you know that I know that you know that you know that you know it...)

---Always wanted to do that...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 3:36 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The server machine (Mobile Gear Mc-R 520) has UPS, and is serving for two months straight w/o problem)
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 10:39 AM
#
H/PC Elder

well, actually, bSquareBackupPlus is IMO quite good for its use! ... just that considering ... if everything worked well, I would be spending 0secs to start using it, whereas if the AC went kaaput without battery inside, I still need to spend 1~5mins to restore!!

My 5min is very very important!! hahahaha
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 1:52 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Just did a hard reset because of a mysterious freezing error that soft-resetting does not fix (2nd time), and the actual restore took just under 2 minutes. Since I was slow with the stylus though, the whole thing came to 5 minutes, I keep forgetting that I only need to do the stylus setup after a reset if I will restore.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8