x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

680e w/cradle, *real* CF slot, vioce recorder for $109+free shipping

1 2
nymax
nymax Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 9:43 AM
#
http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/hp.html

I do not believe you'll find a better deal.
Due to my inadequate future-predicting abilities, I got in on this deal just two days before the price drop at $129--still a good deal in my opinion. But at $110, this deal tastes of sublime sweetness.

Anyway, whenever I see good deals like this, I like to share the wealth. After a day or two up here, I'm going to post this on dealnews/fatwallet.

Max
 Top of the page
nymax
nymax Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 9:47 AM
#
To clarify, all the 680e's have voice recorder capabilities, but this one has the external buttons unlike the Dutch Railways version being peddled on Tiger Direct.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 10:03 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Edited by Yoldering 2005-03-29 10:06 AM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 10:04 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah $109 with free shipping is a pretty good deal. especially with the cradle
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 12:07 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

...Not to rain on the parade but ...has anyone purchased and commented on what they got, yet?

--Bruised
 Top of the page
nymax
nymax Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 12:27 PM
#
No, a bit of guarded optimism is always good. I ordered it over the weekend, I'll post with my impressions once I get mine.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 2:30 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

nymax - 2005-03-29 12:27 PM

I'll post with my impressions once I get mine.

Thanks! A report on appearance (does it look new?), did everything promised arrive, & what does the refurbisher warranty amount to--a you pay for phone call & postage deal, or whatever would be great.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 3:19 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

My boss bought his unit from Just Deals and just brought it to me to install CE updates and software. So I was able to compare it with the one's I'd gotten from Tiger Direct. Here's what I found:

Like the Tiger Direct units, the Just Deals 680e comes in the plain white box and is essentially packed the same way with the same stuff.

As advertised, the Just Deals unit does not have a fake bottom and isn't missing the audio buttons, thus it looks like the regular retail 680e. It has all the screws for the real bottom. The CF slot is tight and readily accessible. The unit has the same blue Dutch Railways sticker pasted over the compliance label as the TD units.

The JD 680e has the same European keyboard as the TD units.

The JD 680e seems to have the same ROM version as the TD units, requiring the 65K color patch, etc. as the TD units.

The cradle that came with the unit is not the original one for the 680e. It is the one for the 720. The cradle appears new and unused.

The JD 680e my boss received has a good, new-looking, display with no scratches or dead pixels. The bottom of the unit also appears brand new. However, the top appears used with the finish rubbed down smooth in places. There was also a slight nick on the top of one of the hinges. These defects are slight enough my boss doesn't realize the unit is used. But the case of the Just Deals unit is not as pristine as the ones Tiger Direct is shipping.

The Just Deals units have a 30-day return policy, but no warranty as the TD units have.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 3:38 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Lensman - 2005-03-29 3:19 PM

The JD 680e seems to have the same ROM version as the TD units, requiring the 65K color patch, etc. as the TD units.

Lensman, Are you saying your TD 680e units did not have the patch? I went to install the patch I have and got the message that there is a DLL file just like it installed already. Mine was just a few months newer. I opted not to install the new one. Should I install the 2005 patch to get thousands more colors?

--Bruised
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 7:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The patch comes with some of the 3.01 RAM upgrades, but predominantly it isn't in the 600 series.
The 64K driver was released shortly after the 680 was, hence the date difference.

Lensman, so they're redistributing cradles with USB ports? That'll be some new fun in support
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 7:08 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Where is the Display patch?
Thanks
Chris
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 7:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It is here

Warning: For the 680 / 680e ONLY
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 7:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

ESCAPEMAX - 2005-03-29 6:08 PM

Where is the Display patch?
Thanks
Chris

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&lc=...

Sorry Chris, I didn't see you had already posted.

Edited by Yoldering 2005-03-29 7:33 PM
 Top of the page
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 11:50 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

bruisedquasar - 2005-03-29 2:38 PM

Lensman, Are you saying your TD 680e units did not have the patch? I went to install the patch I have and got the message that there is a DLL file just like it installed already. Mine was just a few months newer. I opted not to install the new one. Should I install the 2005 patch to get thousands more colors?

--Bruised

That's correct. Both my units came with only the 256 color DLL installed and I had to replace it with the 65K DLL file available here to get the extended colors the unit's capable of producing. If you try to install the DLL file and it asks you to replace a DLL file that's a different size, then go ahead - you've got the 256 color one.

C:Amie - 2005-03-29 6:02 PM

Lensman, so they're redistributing cradles with USB ports? That'll be some new fun in support

So it appears. Enjoy the next round of posts...

The cradles have two sync connectors on the back covered by a sliding plate that covers one or the other. There is no indention for the CF slot in the base and the button is the same color as the base and not silver. Just Deals does not include a USB cable.

When I first found out about the Just Deals machines, I thought they were a better deal than the Tiger Direct ones. Now that I've seen them both, I consider them more equal. The Just Deals machines are more complete out of the box but have no warranty and are comprised to an unknown degree of used parts - leading to some concern about longevity. The Tiger Direct units come with a warranty, but require some extra expense and minor surgery to get back to retail condition. However, by all inidcations the components are completely new and unused.
 Top of the page
Jour_new
Jour_new Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 2:58 PM
#
What was the condition of the battery? New or was the battery installed/charged in the unit?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9