x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC internet access

1 2
mewiedman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 1:49 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

OK, here's another, two part poll How many people use their HPCs for internet access - surfing, not just grabbing e-mail?

For those who do use their HPCs for internet access, is it dial-up, wi-fi, or through a network?

MEW
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 2:25 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I don't see a poll. Anyways - for me, wifi because I don't have a wired card yet, but will soon use that instead for a much longer battery life. I also use the modem when I am away from the house.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 5:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I see not a poll also.

ADSL, Wired LAN, occasional IrDA Cellular dial-up and I used the built-in modem once.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 5:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i do use my 728 for web browsing, quite often. i use wlan or gprs with bluetooth phone (depends on which one is available at the moment ). wlan is much more smooth, of course but gprs is ok too.
i rarely use a dial-up connection, just tried it out when i got the 720 earlier. i used it only once since then. dial-up is very expensive here in hungary... and slow
oh and i have a wired ethernet card too, but i don't use it since i got wifi... wifi doesn't affect battery by too much.

Edited by cmonex 2005-03-30 5:46 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 6:53 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Affects mine by 2 hours.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 12:34 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I do internet surfing ... or rather did surfing on my 790. And checking email using the PIE as well. And now that gmail and Y! is usable on simple html without the javascripts, I might start using it for internet access again!
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 5:04 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I dial-up surf!
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 5:34 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi There,

I use the internet through my Nokia GSM card using dialup

Nick
 Top of the page
mewiedman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 2:18 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

PS/C: Amie - I'm not sure how to set up a poll, but decided to ask the question(s) that I thought might be interesting for two polls.

Uncle Ben- I'm curious - how has dial up been working for you and what ISP - currently we are on dial-up (although we might get some kind of broadband access soon - DSL seems out of the question due to the distance from the switching station )

MEW
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 2:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

You go into the forum - for this one that would be the HPC General Discussion one, and on the top click make new poll or something like that, it is next to make new thread.

Dial up is actually not that much different than DSLfor browsing on my 720 - as with DSL it is shoved the pages very quickly, and the processor is stuck at 100% for a bit trying to display the page. With dialup it is given the page much slower. I have SBC Yahoo DSL, but it comes with Yahoo Dial for free (which really is great) so I use that when I am away from the house. Dial up is good enough for general use, even uploading my site and transferring files, emails, and newsgroups posts. What modems are not made for is transferring of large files or bulky sites.

This one goes at an ok speed though.

-Oh, another thing about the modem, I used mine at a hotel expecting it to drain less power than my what I now found out to be 600mw (read it wrong as 500mw before) wifi card. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the case, as it left me with a bit more battery life, but not much. Anyone know how much the modem on the 720 uses? I am guessing 400-500mw...maybe depending if it is a weak connection (like I had) or not.
 Top of the page
BANE not logged in
BANE not logged in Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 3:38 PM
#
Hey, well I actually have subsisted on the 720 for 4 months!! Last summer my pc was well and truely buggerred, and it was gone for months getting sorted out. (friend of a freidn doing a favour kinda thing) ne way, I had to use the jornada for interent access for the duration of the summer!!! It wasn't too bad! finding ruksun messenger force was INTEGRAL to my contentment with it's functions. Well, I use the 720 to surf by dialup, I have just it to surf breifly and check email with my mobile phone dial up, and I have a cisco 350 wifi card and I use it in uni sometimes.

Great lil piece of kit!

.....IB a n e
 Top of the page
BANE not logged in
BANE not logged in Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 3:40 PM
#
OH btw, I have a question about the dial up! ON the 720, I cannot connect to the internet via dial up, above 19200 baud when I am on mains power! It's strange. I have the baud rate at abotu 11500 I think, and when I connect to the net on battery everything is fine, but on mains it finishes dialing then says no carrier detected or something like that. If I drop below 19200 baud it works.... very strange. any ideas guys!?

.........IB a n e
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 4:36 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Uhh...hard reset?

I haven't ever had that problem.
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 4:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

mewiedman - 2005-03-31 2:18 PM

PS/C: Amie - I'm not sure how to set up a poll, but decided to ask the question(s) that I thought might be interesting for two polls.

Uncle Ben- I'm curious - how has dial up been working for you and what ISP - currently we are on dial-up (although we might get some kind of broadband access soon - DSL seems out of the question due to the distance from the switching station )

MEW

It's fine, as long as you're willing to compromise on the speed. I connected via a 56K modem and it did the job. Of course now that I've got my desktop back, I reverted to a high speed connection. I know that opinions vary on this topic but as far as I'm concerned, I much prefer cable to DSL. I was on DSL before and had nothing but trouble - regular, daily system crashes, frequent slowdown where surfing would come to a screeching halt, or closed to it... I've had cable now since December, haven't had a crash once, haven't noticed ANY deterioration whatsoever. Cheers!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 5:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I think DSL used to be bad - and has improved greatly. I got mine installed in the summer with absolutely no problems whatsoever, then to now.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11