x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Cheap Jornada 680e's

wsanders Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 3:12 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Howdy, all - this looks like an active forum on the topic. As everyone probably already knows, tigerdirect and others have reman Jornada 680e's for sale for about $115. I'm wondering if they meet my requirements:

- From posts in some other forums, it looks like the IE supplied with this device can't do 128-bit SSL and/or frames. Is this correct?

- Will it support a common cardbus 802.11 card, say a Netgear MA401 or Linksys WPC 11? More specifically - is there vendor support for CE 3.0 on this device?

- Doesn't look like Windows Media Player comes with this OS. Probably it can't play MP3's because it doesn't have a sound card equivalent. Is this correct? Oh well you cant have everything!

I'd plan on just using it for basic web browsing - keep it bedside to monitor the old server farm. Also, my local library lets be check out e-books using the "Mobipocket" format and it looks like a CE 3.0 reader is available, as well and an Adobe reader...

Thanks in advance,
W Sanders
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 3:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome to the boards.

No, it supports 128-bit ssl and frames, but not iFrames.

It will NOT support cardbus cards, however the ma401 and wpc11 are pc card and not cardbus and will work generally speaking - see support.

Windows Media Player can be installed and will play wma and mp3, no video though. Other applications are available to add other formats and video.

Adobe Acrobat isn't available, search the reviews page for "Primer 3.1", that is your only option for pdf on the device.
 Top of the page
wsanders Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 5:19 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for answering back and for not flaming me for being a n00b. I might go for one if only to read the e-books that I can check out from my public library. I'll report back with any "innovations" I discover.

Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-01 3:13 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

wsanders - 2005-03-31 5:19 PM

I might go for one if only to read the e-books that I can check out from my public library.

If ebooks are your main interest, I would consider a much smaller, shirt pocket sized, less expensive Casio BE 300. Just search for and load eXpod in place of the Casio OE that comes loaded on the BE and you can use any (MIPS) Pocket PC software and have a windows like "desktop". You can easily use up to a 512MB CF card. With an easy tweak you can run a 1 gig micro drive.

I run uBook on my BE from the CF card and I have over 50 ebooks on it at any time. uBook can read zipped books without extracting zip files. (I run mobi also)

I also have uBook on my J 680e but I rarely read them. The BE is just a lot more handy for reading. the screen is rectangular, so I have uBook set for sideways text display. The J 680 weights 1.1 pound, the BE weighs less than a pound including a CF card.

However, the J 680 is about as small as you can get and still have a practical keyboard. The BE is typical of all PDAs in that user data input is slow and not practical.

If you look for auctions that end on a week day, you can get a like-new BE in original box, with all original contents for $30 to $60 and then go to be300.org to learn the many amazing things you can do (and how to do them) with a BE 300

--Bruised
 Top of the page
wsanders Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 3:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Actually I was too much of a noob and posted "cheap" - these Tigerdirect units are the Dutch railway units are not really that cheap, considering they come without the cradle, have no modem, and have the CF slot covered over. Used 680s are going for about USD 85 on ebay. However the Tigerdirect 680e's may be new or nearly so based on past posts.

I'll post back here in a week or so as to whether I can get 802.11 or ethernet to work. If not, my little $30 Palm Zire works just as well as an organizer.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 5:11 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

wsanders - 2005-04-04 3:24 PM

- these Tigerdirect units are the Dutch railway units are not really that cheap, considering they come without the cradle, have no modem, and have the CF slot covered over. Used 680s are going for about USD 85 on ebay. However the Tigerdirect 680e's may be new or nearly so based on past posts.

Considering: Jornada 600s retailed for about $800 to $1000 and the Tigerdirect Dutch Railway units are like-new refurbished (mine was unused) and come with tiger's 30-day return and a refurbisher's 90 days parts and labor warranty, the cradle is unneccessary, the built-in modem is outdated dial-up, it takes five minutes to remove the custom bottom and get access to the functioning CF card slot and you cannot get a like-new 680 on eBay for $85 & many of the ones that go for the average price of $160 come with a nearly dead main battery, which costs about $70 from a reputable eBay retailer.

If you decide you do not need one that is a different matter but you may not want to dismiss Jornada's based on what you posted.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9