x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jlime Mongo Linux for Jornada 7xx HOW-TO pre-release beta

1 2 3 4
-=Quake Raven=-
-=Quake Raven=- Page Icon Posted 2007-05-16 6:33 PM
#
i want linux on my mp900c
 Top of the page
hagisbasheruk Page Icon Posted 2007-05-17 6:31 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Top of the page
moft
moft Page Icon Posted 2007-06-08 3:18 AM
#
Hi - just got an old 720 from work - can't wait to to give a nice linuxification....just a question:
what is the wireless card support like in Mongo?
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-06-08 6:08 AM
#
H/PC Elite

As we found out, stay away from proxim cards. They say orinoco on them, yet use an old and unsupported agere chipset and the linux driver is old ( 2002-ish ) and doesnt appear to work. Most any 16bit card is supported. I'd stick with lucent orinoco silver or gold, any prism2 based card, or cisco aironet cards are all known to work. I'm sure there are others, but the lucent orinoco cards are one of the oldest and best supported cards.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
moft
moft Page Icon Posted 2007-06-08 7:14 AM
#
thanks for the fast info!

I've since gone and bought 1gb sandisk card, and all attempts to do a mkfs.vfat or ext2 have failed in a few distro's i've tried, with errors (ubuntu 6.06 in this case - others gave similar errors):

mkfs.vfat: Too few blocks for viable file system

and for
mkfs.ext2: Not enough space to build proposed filesystem while setting up superb lock

Top of the page
moft
moft Page Icon Posted 2007-06-08 8:04 AM
#
got it!
I had to unmount the drive (you can't format a mounted drive), physically remove it, plug it back in and NOT mount it - then the mkfs worked perfectly on both vfat and ext2!
Then I went into Ubuntu's disk utility, giving each partition a mount point and enabling each.
am now copying and will get back on the results.
I love the simplicity of this hack....

...and it works - fwarkin awesome guys, thanks!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-06-08 7:53 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Heh, yeah - you can't work with partitions and other tools that modify filesystems on mounted drives.
 Top of the page
t0078543 Page Icon Posted 2007-06-28 5:27 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Dan is me....
my cf card is 1GB transcend
I know it can not work by here http://jlime.com/bugtracker/main_page.php

it will give the following error

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda2" or unknown-block (0.0)
please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

is it can be solve?= =
or just can use other card....
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-06-28 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'll check into it..
 Top of the page
internetcz
internetcz Page Icon Posted 2007-06-29 2:10 AM
#
Hi,

Im having the same problem than the guy above. My card its CF 4Gb Samsung.

More one question: Its possible to install this system and the 720 Degrees together? Each one in a different partition? I can to do this, but I belive than the but for "hda3" don't will to work.

Thanks,

Alexandre Hoffmann Ventura

Top of the page
internetcz
internetcz Page Icon Posted 2007-06-29 2:14 AM
#
PS: In the message above but = boot. I need to sleep more a bit!
 Top of the page
t0078543 Page Icon Posted 2007-06-29 7:20 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I tried hda3,it can not work ....
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-06-30 4:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

You can install them both, but only one would be recognizable to linexec at a time. When we do switch to loopback images (just one file for the entire filesystem), someone could make a script that could change the name in params.txt, and choose which to boot.

I'm working on porting ArchLinux to Jlime, which should eventually replace both Jlime Familiar and 720degrees (more usability, and easier management).

t0078543, you are going to want to contact Kristoffer.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-03 10:06 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

t0078543, I have a 1Gb AData Super Compact Flash which I was able to partition, format, and transfer/unzip to just fine from Puppy Linux. But JLime would hang on bootup in my J720 saying I needed to change the boot drive (which was the default hda1). On another HPCFactor thread they were saying it seemed that the larger (1Gb and up) cards were giving more trouble, for some reason. So, I partitioned, formatted, etc on my 516Mb card, plugged it in, and it's running fine!

I tried to create a swap file on the 720 following the instructions in that other thread, and I THINK I succeeded in turning it on. But the handy monitor on the desktop continues to show just 32 Mb.

Here's what I typed in terminal:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/swap bs=1024 count=65536
# /sbin/mkswap /tmp/swap 65536
# /sbin/swapon /tmp/swap
I didn't always get it right the first time, but kept checking my typing and trying again until it worked.

Then, using instructions from Planet AMD64 (http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php?t25027.html) I also added the following line to /etc/fstab, which is supposed to "mount" the swap file at boot-up:

/swapfile1 swap swap defaults 0 0

I have no idea if this will work in JLime, especially since I don't seem to be able to properly "shut down" yet: the system freezes (that's a known problem, right?).

I tried using the "free -m" command from terminal to see if more memory showed up there, but the command wasn't recognised. I tried doing the "swapon" command again and it said the resource was busy (I'm not quoting, here... something like that) which I took to mean the swap file was on. Is there some other way to tell?

Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-08-04 12:18 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Some users have had success with swap files and some havent. In theory what you did *should* work. We use busybox to replace a bunch of space wasting applications to keep things relatively small ( you can add the full applications to replace busybox if need be from the feed ). So use 'free' instead of 'free -m' to see if your swap is mounted. Swap wont show up on the desktop system monitor unless you edit /etc/torsmorc and include a line for swap. Swap isnt 'actual' ram, so your actual ram wont read higher.

Shutdown doesnt properly shut down. I'd recommend using the reboot command from console, or reboot from icewm/opie logout menu. The system will properly shutdown then. For now, you still have to pull the battery to cleanly reboot ce or linux however.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 28