x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jlime Mongo Linux for Jornada 7xx HOW-TO pre-release beta

1 2 3 4
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-04 3:14 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Thanks.
I figured that I was probably butting against a different, um, kernel? Haven't learned many commands yet, busybox or otherwise!

Would I edit the torsmorc file the same way I did fstab? If so, what should I write, exactly? It'd be cool if I could show it, there, "real" or not.

I'm using Icewm, and the logout menu seems to only do "logout." I don't see a reboot option there. When it shuts down, should I wind up back in Win CE? Or just at the command line login screen?

Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-08-04 3:51 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Yeah you would edit it in the same way you did fstab. Any editor will work. Add something like this towards the bottom of the file. Maybe under the RAM section....

${color}SWP:$color $swap/$swapmax - $swapperc% ${swapbar 6}

Then restart tormso to see the changes. Like 'killall -9 torsmo' then 'torsmo &', or reboot if thats easier.

As for 'logout' there is a submenu in the logout menu that has 'logout', 'reboot', 'shutdown' and 'restart icewm'. Choose 'reboot', which will cleanly shut linux down. Pull the battery and reinsert and you're back in win CE.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-05 9:27 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Well, I think I'm having newbie issues anyway. My attempt at adding the swap file to fstab arent working, apparently. Should the line I used have worked? Maybe the spacing between the bits of information should be different, or something?

My problem with logout may actually be with the "mouse." I have a hard time controlling what I'm clicking on (see below). I have Icewm in Puppy, and figured there were other options, but once I reach the first logout part on the menu, a little message pops up asking if I really want to. Period. Never have reached the other options. In fact, I frequently find myself opening logout or window option just trying to access the "start penguin", and getting to the internet/dillo option is a real challenge.

There's probably some trick to this, but for me, the little mouse pointer seems to have a mind of its own, which only improves slightly when I turn the setting to "fuzzy" (which I have to do each time I boot into JLime). The handly little right/center click button on the task bar got me so stuck at one point, I almost had to hard reset! I couldn't access the taskbar to change it back because a window had opened over it, and the little black "floating" version kept disappearing under a new window before I could click it. Felt like I was playing a computer game, chasing that bugger all over the screen and trying to click before it disappeared!

Should I look a little harder somewhere on this forum or elsewhere for helpful hints on using this setup? Like I said, there's probably some trick I'm missing.

RTFM and Prog Synth, what sort of training do you have that has let you work on this stuff? Some sort of programming language(s), I presume? And is there official Linux console training out there somewhere? My limited DOS experience has not been much help, except to make me brave enough to use console if someone can hand-feed me the commands.

Thanks for all the hard work.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-08-06 12:49 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Well as i said, some people have had luck with swap, and others not. I myself havent tried adding swap yet in jlime as i have a 728 and didnt have the need to. Personally, if i were you i'd have a look at jlimes forums ( jlime.com ) as there is a load of info there.

Since im not quite sure of what you meant by 'mouse' i'll assume stylus calibration. You should set this up right away on first boot. The default setting is a generic one and wont be accurate on all machines. There is a keybaord shortcut to do this easily if the pointer is off. Use ctrl+esc, which will open the 'start' menu. Scroll up/down/left/right with arrow keys and go to accessories -> calibrate stylus and hit enter.

Now if you mean the mouse icon on the taskbar, thats there to let you have left/middle/right click. By default its in the standard left click mode. Tap the icon once for middle click. Tap again for right click. Tap once more to go back to normal. You'll see the icon change and darken the mouse buttons so you know which button its using. Tricky app, but quite handy once you get use to it.

I'm also curious about the 'fuzzy' setting....there is no such setting.....

If you dont see the logout menu, you either have an old icewm image ( latest is from july 22 ), or you arent clicking the logout submenu. There is a triangle/arrow next to the word 'logout'.. click on it. Its there. If all else fails... you can kill icewm with 'ctrl+alt+bkspace' which will bring you back to console. Then you can just type 'reboot' from there.

By default application windows will *not* open over the taskbar, i have it set to always be on top, so you may have accidentely 'full screened' a window by accident. Just use alt+f11 ( word key ) to fullscreen and/or unfullscreen a window. Also alt+tab cycles through open windows/apps. Also ctrl+alt+h hides and unhides the taskbar if the other option doesnt work.

Nah, no training or schooling for me. I just got sick of windoze and its blue screens, viruses, etc back around 97-98 and pretty much forced myself to learn 'other' operating systems and use them daily. I was just persistant and didnt give up.

As for tutorials.. http://www.tldp.org (the linux documentation project) is a great place to start along with http://www.linuxnewbieguide.org/ .

Cheers.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-07 9:52 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi!
The 720 was "down" on my last post so my terminology was off. The "fuzzy" should have been "sloppy" mouse focus, and it's under settings:focus. Before, I would tap somewhere on the screen, and the pointer might show up some distance away. I would try again, and MAYBE it would appear under my stylus. Or MAYBE it would open something I didn't want opened! It was using a different "logic" somehow. I navigated by touching and holding the stylus (if I only tapped, the little arrow would bounce away somewhere), then slowly, carefully dragging it up and down, left or right through menu options, and praying my hand didn't jiggle before I got there. And I have NO idea what I did to get all those badly-placed windows up. It's like an amateur chess player against an experienced one: the experienced person will win in the end, but all those completely random-looking, totally illogical moves by the "newbie" might drive them crazy first! I've crashed any number of programs that way.

Now that I have successfully logged off once (from terminal), my settings are stored, the focus is staying on "sloppy" and I can click on menus as I should. So I'm a happy camper.

My icewm image is the newest one: my problem was that I couldn't get the pointer to hold still over the menu long enough to REACH the other options! Now, of course, it's working fine! I'll try out your other tips soon.

So you "self taught" yourself whatever programming it's taking to get JLime running? I know it's not all command line editing, is it? I'm just starting at Linux, so I guess I have a few years to go if I'm self-teaching. Glad I have Puppy and a couple other GUI distros to ease me into it.

One last thing: I really would like to auto-load a swap file. My fstab edit "stuck", but it's clearly not working. Should I try putting the swap file in a different location? Might there be something wrong with the way I typed the line in fstab? How would YOU try to auto-load, if you had a 720? I'll try to get over to the JLime form
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-08 1:21 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

It's all command line editing, I don't believe he has done any coding. But, like coding, doing anything developmentwise in the Linux community pretty much requires extensive self-teaching. I've been doing it for years, and am still limited in my ability to get things done.

I created a swapfile "creator" script a little while back, and would recommend that you use it. The file is attached. Copy it over to your device, and as root, type:

sh createswap

And run it. Make sure to delete any swapfiles and swapfile fstab modifications you have made first. You can see the correct modifications in the fstab afterwards, if you are interested.

The script is attached.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments createswap (1KB - 7 downloads)
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-08 11:48 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Thanks! Saw your link for that script on one of the other threads but couldn't download then... AND was still just trying to get linux to INSTALL! Will try it. I'll have to learn how to delete the swapfile, first, though. :-)
Well, if that sort of "development" can be done just with command line editing, maybe I have hope. Could be a long time before I can learn C++ or Java or what-have-you, but with command line I can just "play" with it as I go along, and get more comfortable. Cool!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-08-08 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bvjones - 2007-08-08 5:48 PM

Well, if that sort of "development" can be done just with command line editing, maybe I have hope. Could be a long time before I can learn C++ or Java or what-have-you, but with command line I can just "play" with it as I go along, and get more comfortable. Cool!

ummm to just *use* linux you dont need c++ or any programming!

i say this, i, who still hasnt formatted a CF card under linux.

but trust me you dont need to get into such heavy programming languages to just be able to work with linux. it isnt that bad
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-08 8:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I said for developmental purposes, not for actual use.

As a user, you just need to spend a good weekend learning the command line, and after about a month you should be able to use your system effectively. It didn't take me long to get there. Programming is only necessary if you want to make permanent fixes for problems, rather than just hacking at other solutions until they work (my way).
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-08-08 9:29 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

why are you ProgramSynthesiser then
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-08 9:55 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Guess there's kind-of three layers to "using" Linux. First, the everyday getting around that lately we Windoz types can do pretty well in the various GUI versions, and old-time DOS or Unix types can pick up pretty quickly in Console/Terminal. Second, opening up the various text-based files that are built around the kernel, to tweak it in some way (what RTFM and ProgSynth are doing), then third, seriously getting "under the skin" (under the shell?) of the program and making substantial changes in the original code.
I'm still learning to get around in the GUI and Console environments, but it will be fun to sloooowly inch my way into some of the configuration-type files. Always loved the sense of power I got when I edited config.sys or autoexec.bat to customise or tweak my old Tandy. (Okay, so I'm easily amused...)
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-08 11:34 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2007-08-08 6:29 PM

why are you ProgramSynthesiser then

Maybe I should change it to bandwidthHog.

bvjones, You'll get there. But there's a lot more config files to play with in /etc/ than your Tandy could hold.
 Top of the page
snaglpus
snaglpus Page Icon Posted 2007-08-09 9:15 PM
#
Guys I am dying to get JLIme on my MP900. However, I can't seem to get my compact flash card set to an extended partition. What did you guys do that I'm doing wrong. Vfat sets up fine. I can't set it to ext in CFDISK but I can in FDISK. BUt MUTT does not show sda2 at all. Please help.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-09 9:39 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I'm the newbie here, but I can ask the basic questions:
After you created the partition, did you format it, and set it to be bootable?
I set up my CF using gparted in Puppy Linux. Gparted is a Great partition editor. The only thing it hasn't done successfully is FAT16 (which you don't need, but I did for Mulinux): I had to do that one using the DOS fdisk command.

Also, if you are looking for the ext2 or ext3 partition in Windows, you won't see it, unless you have a special program for doing so. FAT, NTFS, and of course the ext2 and 3 etc show up fine in Linux. If you don't have Linux on your computer, try Puppy Linux or DSL (damn small linux) which boot into RAM and don't mess with your Windows setup.

Hope that helps a little, until the "pros" get here.
 Top of the page
vvgs Page Icon Posted 2007-08-09 11:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

internetcz - 2007-06-29 2:10 AM

Hi,

Im having the same problem than the guy above. My card its CF 4Gb Samsung.

I have a 710 with 4Gb Samsung CF and have the same problem when i tried install the Mongo. I tried first time, and didnĀ“t work. In second time, i used command sugest by RTFM and again i had a kernel panic.

Have they some sugest for what i can do? Thanks.

Edited by vvgs 2007-08-09 11:05 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.233 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11