x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Cash Organizer 2000

1 2 3 4 5
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-01 8:18 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I don't know if this application is a popular one amongst those who subscribe to this forum, but from my perspective this is one of the most powerful personal financial software for the HPC platform available.

But unfortunately, Inesoft has "chosen" not to allocate any more resources to the HPC platform, and as a result we haven't seen a revision since 2002 (built 2002.02.19).

Is there anything that we, as a community, can do to influence Inesoft to change course? It's been done before, I'm thinking of Phatware and SoftMaker, for example, who, pursuant to representations made by many, reacted positively with upgrades and/or new applications for the HPC platform.

All my attempts with the principals of Inesoft have failed. At first, they kept telling me that a new version was in the works, progress was being delayed because of the demand for the PPC platform ... I'd follow up with them every two or three months until they finally stopped responding to me. Can't say I blame them - for the most part, HPC/PPC developers are relatively small organizations, with limited resources - hence, given that PPCs outsell HPCs 10 to 1, the economics dictate the course loud and clear.

That being said, is there anything we can do to influence the course.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-01 8:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The site is of course in a position and willing to help with reviews and publicity.
Petitions can be arranged too, and I am sure that the other hpc hub sites will extend the same sentiments.

As we have discussed here before, getting the community to sign such petitions or buy the software, or even contact the developer under their own steam is Sysyphian in its gaul.
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-01 12:16 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2005-04-01 8:47 AM

The site is of course in a position and willing to help with reviews and publicity.
Petitions can be arranged too, and I am sure that the other hpc hub sites will extend the same sentiments.

As we have discussed here before, getting the community to sign such petitions or buy the software, or even contact the developer under their own steam is Sysyphian in its gaul.

OK, so you can count me in, where do we go from here? No doubt that you have other things simmering, so you may not want to tackle this right now. But if and when you decide to get cracking on this, I'll be more than happy to join in if I can be of any help!

Cheers!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-01 12:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Well, cool, however this doesn't depend on me. We have the resources. It is down to whether other users here care.
Until other people are voicing support in this thread, commiting resources isn't really feasable.

Mind I could see about a review of the current version.
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-04-02 10:59 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Uncle Ben

I feel your pain, unfortunately it would seem that most H/PC users don't seem to care enough about or perhaps have just accepted the fact that most H/PC developers have abandoned us.

Take Agenda CE for example...it was recently announced on this site that the developer has decided to stop updating the H/PC version. Nobody even cared enough to comment on that fact in this forum - interesting. Every developer I have begged to continue supporting the H/PC platform (Ilium, Burr Oak, City Time, Oppsdream etc) all give me the same reason - dwendling H/PC sales. Apparently, we all talk a good game but nobody is willing to fork out any money for the products.

Ask yourself how many software programs have you purchased in the last 6 month? (I've counted 8) It's bad enough that the hardware manufacturer have abandoned the H/PC, but many users abandoned the software developers long ago. Not everything can be freeware

Having said all that, I'll be the second to sign your petition and I don't even use Cash Organizer 2000 (I prefer Keep Track by Ilium Soft)!
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-02 11:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I agree with everything you say, I have actually made similar comments in another thread ... except for your choice of financial software.

But I can't say I can match your 8 purchases, although I never hesitate to buy software when I see what I need. I probably averaged 5 or 6 per year, but not lately, because there isn't a lot of new stuff coming out lately. Which begs the next queston - just out of curiosity, in case I missed something good out there, what are the 8 purchases you made this year?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 12:48 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I have the money and would be willing to spend it for applications that I need, but unfortunately I never have means of getting it to the developer.

-C:Amie, you probably figured out why.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 10:37 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Frankly, sometimes its a bit hard to bit into these software. Don't get me wrong, I feel that many of them are really useful and all. But consider this, if a person can only do agenda planning on his HPC, don't you think its a bit overkill?

And for some, they are just willing to live with the built in PocketOutlook app. Like me.

When I was using my Palms, I also just used the basic DateBook (in the pre OS5 Palms) or Calendar (in T3) and could not justify forking out $$ for DateBook3 although after trying its trial version, I do find it very useful. I deleted it thereafter and revert back to the built-in app 'cos I find I dun need so much features.

The same goes for PocketWord and PocketExcel. I just need to jot down something with PocketWord. I dun need the full set of features (which many consider bloatware anyway). I use PocketExcel with some custom functions that I use to chart my progress on a project. I dun need extensive charting and pivottables etc. So, will I get the full blown apps? Hard to justify. Especially when its retail price is > $40 (I think).

Consider PocketDVD. I have not downloaded the app to try, but from the specs, I am pretty impressed. But its still a good to have feature to me. However, having it priced at $12 makes it that much easier to justify to myself that its worth it. ok, maybe I am cheap, but I think my sentiments are shared by many, as can be seen by the dwindling sales.

Then consider the browser. I am willing to fork out up to $50 for a proper working and support browser so that my HPC can be more useful. But the developers just refuse to do a build for that. I just dun understand the rationale. Although the $50 is almost half that of the price of my HPC, I would be willing to fork out for that because it is current quite a deadweight and not as useful as it can and should be. If throwing in the $50 makes it browse the web, it would increase its usefulness by 200% to me.

The fact that I am willing to consider replacing my MP790 for even a Sharp Zaurus C700 (around $350 shipped), despite its smaller non-touch-typeable keyboard, if only because it has a proper browser, shows that its really up to individuals on what matters to them. For me, a browser in my HPC device is a must. For others, maybe a day planner.

And then again, since Y! and gmail has added support for older devices (like our beloved HPCs) using basic html without javascripts, I might be content with PIE4.01 (or even PIE3.0) as HPCs goes. Then when finally NetFront vendors decide to add support for HPCs, I might think twice.

And on that note, I should try some HPC browsing later on. Just got back from out of town.
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 12:36 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Uncle Ben - 2005-04-02 11:52 PM

Which begs the next queston - just out of curiosity, in case I missed something good out there, what are the 8 purchases you made this year?

Bolts & Nuts, CE Agenda, Fortitude, Contact Manager, LineUp, Poker Jam, KSE Yachtzee, Bubblet
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 12:56 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

You know Snappy, a lot of people probably feel the same as you and that's why the platform is dying. Many would be better off to keep their money in the bank, use a paper agenda and pencil, and watch movies on the portable DVD player.
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 1:04 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hurricane John - 2005-04-03 12:36 PM

Uncle Ben - 2005-04-02 11:52 PM

Which begs the next queston - just out of curiosity, in case I missed something good out there, what are the 8 purchases you made this year?

Bolts & Nuts, CE Agenda, Fortitude, Contact Manager, LineUp, Poker Jam, KSE Yachtzee, Bubblet

Yep, well we have commonality on a few (Yachtzee and PokerJam), but didn't care as much for the other ones. Didn't get CE Agenda or Contact Manager - for my needs, Pocket Outlook works out fine. But I did get the latest upgrade to Resco File Explorer and PhotoViewer; and CNetX PocketSlideShow for PPT presentations.
Cheers!
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 1:15 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Snappy! - 2005-04-03 10:37 AM

The same goes for PocketWord and PocketExcel. I just need to jot down something with PocketWord. I dun need the full set of features (which many consider bloatware anyway). I use PocketExcel with some custom functions that I use to chart my progress on a project. I dun need extensive charting and pivottables etc. So, will I get the full blown apps? Hard to justify. Especially when its retail price is > $40 (I think).

Snappy

I don't know about you, but I can drop $40 on dinner and a couple of drinks, so the idea of $40 (retail) for quality software as being 'hard to justify' is laughable. Really, I can appreciate that you don't need the software, it's your right not to buy it....but please don't tell us that H/PC software is overpriced.

If people can't aford $10-$40 for good software then, nothing is going to save or revise the Handheld PC - CE, CE.Net or whatever version they come out with!!
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 1:24 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hurricane John - 2005-04-03 1:15 PM

Snappy! - 2005-04-03 10:37 AM

Snappy

I don't know about you, but I can drop $40 on dinner and a couple of drinks, so the idea of $40 (retail) for quality software as being 'hard to justify' is laughable. Really, I can appreciate that you don't need the software, it's your right not to buy it....but please don't tell us that H/PC software is overpriced.

If people can't aford $10-$40 for good software then, nothing is going to save or revise the Handheld PC - CE, CE.Net or whatever version they come out with!!

Way to go Stormy John, way to go!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 3:06 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Lol I can't imagine Snappy! buying a $40 meal.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 4:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hurricane John - 2005-04-03 11:15 AM

Well ... for one, I don't take dinners, in or out. ... much less splurge $40 on dinner. Its not so much of whether it is quality or not but more of whether one need it. I'm sure there are many quality software out there, but if I don't need it, I would still find it "hard to justify" buying. And I'm not sure if it is laughable.

PS, hehe ... you know better that I will not have a $40 to spend on dinner anywayz ...

In any case, HPC developers can continue to price their apps at $40 while developers for PPC and Palms roll in the money with $10~$20 pricing. Granted, I know that the economies of scale favors them, I just stated the reasoning that I believe is at the back of many people's mind. It may not be sound reasoning or valid at all, but the numbers point in that direction. And that is how I feel anyway.

Besides, did you miss the point that I made about my willingness to fork out up to $50 for a proper browser?
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.297 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9