x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Cash Organizer 2000

1 2 3 4 5
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 8:31 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

you don't have to believe in it... you just try and see for yourself... but no one forces you ppc applications have helped me much, adding great functionality that no hpc software would have. that's why i'm so much into hacking, discovering further possibilites for my "outdated" device
about developers, most of them don't read our forums (there're always exceptions! ), so they don't know anything about this possibility.
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 12:22 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Uncle Ben

If it really is as easy as changing one dll file (to get the PPC version to work on HPCs), then perhaps this fact should be mentioned to Inesoft! I guess it's possible (although unlikely) that if they haven't looked into it, they don't realize how little is required to make the transition?

I'm willing to send them an email - Do you have Inesoft support, email address handy?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 12:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeah it just needs aygshell, no changing needed as hpc2000 doesn't have aygshell by default, so it's just copying, not overwriting or changing.
good idea emailing them about it that their ppc version is still almost fully compatible with hpcs. they might put in a little effort to modify the soft to fully compatible (for example the first load problem... and on hvga devices sometimes the resolution problem - most of the time it's OK).
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 12:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've discussed this with developers before now, in the case of apps which just require ayg to run.

We had to conclude however that unless you're an OEM you're not licensed to redistribute the AYG file, and there is usually an interface glitch or two to sort out. Most developers fear reprisals from Microsoft on the use of the files.

Very sad

What would may be sort it out would be if we could make some sort of stub run-time library for the H/PC with different file names. Developers could then make UI changes and recompile against the different dll libraries... problem solved.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 12:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh then just get down to work and do it! aygshell (and the others) are already different from the original libraries, aren't they? (the originals won't work at all that's for sure)
 Top of the page
armymom84
armymom84 Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 1:54 PM
#
I am with you Uncle Ben.

I did email Inesoft about the split transactions and being able to budget. Inesoft replied back, that the platform is dead. No use for it. That they only get a couple a registrations a month.
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 8:25 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hurricane John - 2005-06-07 12:22 PM

Uncle Ben

If it really is as easy as changing one dll file (to get the PPC version to work on HPCs), then perhaps this fact should be mentioned to Inesoft! I guess it's possible (although unlikely) that if they haven't looked into it, they don't realize how little is required to make the transition?

I'm willing to send them an email - Do you have Inesoft support, email address handy?

Good luck, Stormy John. I've been at them for 3 years, all to no avail. You can write directly to the president and founder of Inesoft, Kim Tkhe Sik, at kts@inesoft.com.

Cheers!
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 8:40 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

armymom84 - 2005-06-07 1:54 PM

I am with you Uncle Ben.

I did email Inesoft about the split transactions and being able to budget. Inesoft replied back, that the platform is dead. No use for it. That they only get a couple a registrations a month.

I'm not surprised. HPCers simply don't buy software, but we're the first ones to cry bloody murder when a developer abandons the platform. I bet you that the number of subscribers to HPC forums who are registered users of Cash Organizer, is probably < 10%; and I bet you that the same applies to SoftMaker PlanMaker and TextMaker. Not that people should feel compelled to buy software for the sake of saving the HPC platform from drifting into oblivion, but I feel quite strongly that HPCers are in a very distinct class of PDA users - they simply don't buy software, or at least not as much as users of other platforms. But you know what Armymom84, when you come right down to it, even if ALL HPC owners did buy Cash Organizer and other top notch applications, I still don't think that that would be enough to justify continued support for the platform - dismal HPC sales numbers is the real culprit I think.

SoftMaker, pursuant to representations by many, finally conceded and agreed to cater to the HPC community. But make no mistake, their decision was not based on cost justification, but on goodwill and a genuine desire to reach as many PDA users as possible and make the SoftMaker software the suite of choice for all platforms.

OK, enough for tonite, I'm going to bed now. Cheers!

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Uncle Ben - 2005-06-08 2:40 AM

I'm not surprised. HPCers simply don't buy software, but we're the first ones to cry bloody murder when a developer abandons the platform. I bet you that the number of subscribers to HPC forums who are registered users of Cash Organizer, is probably < 10%; and I bet you that the same applies to SoftMaker PlanMaker and TextMaker.

oh come on. i'm getting too bored of people reprimanding other hpc users from the same community.
IMO, we don't do any more warez than ppc users. you don't have to look too hard to see ppc warez on the internet... (you have to look much harder if you want to find hpc warez!!!) the only difference and our only problem is that there're so much more ppc users than hpc users...
sadly, i don't have an use for cash organizer, and no money to buy it in order to just donate to a developer who won't develop it any further. as for textmaker&planmaker, i might wait for a great price (like the one last november - i didn't have any HPC back then......), but frankly, i don't have much use for them either. it would be cool to have them permanently, not just trying out the trial version for some days... but that's all for me for now. though it might change soon. we'll see
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 6:35 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CMONEX - you're reading something into that was NOT meant nor implied. I never said that HPC users are WAREZ adict. I said that HPC users do not buy software, and that's a fact. If all HPC users bought software, the HPC platform would be in much better shape. I don't think it would outperform, sales wise that is, PPC software; but it would be in much better shape.

You're not using Cash Organizer, and that's fine, nothing to be sad about. You don't have much use for Cash Organizer, you don't have much use for TextMaker, and you don't have much user for PlanMaker. These three applications are three of the best HPC applications available out there. You, my friend, are a typical example of the HPC crowd. And in don't mean this pejoratively but rather as a statement of fact. And that is one of the reasons why the HPC platform is dying. The second reason, probably even more important than the former, is the failure on the part of hardware manufactures to properly market HPCs to the masses by (a) pegging the price of HPCs so that in order to compete dead on with PPCs; and (b) establishing as wide as possible distribution networks such that people wouldn'd have to DIG to find a Handheld PC but could just go to there local shop and buy one.

So that's my store CMONEX - sorry if I PO'd you - that was not my intention, I trust you can see that now.

Cheers!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 7:36 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hi

i'm very sorry , it really is possible that i misunderstood the meaning your words.
i'm willing to buy a good quality software (not seriously buggy, has enough features etc.) if i really have a need for it. if not then i just don't use it... and even more willing to buy a new hpc. so if some manufacturer decides they'd try to reinvent HPC's i'd happily support them
oh and still looking forward to another great price drop from softmaker!

Edited by cmonex 2005-06-08 7:38 PM
 Top of the page
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 9:20 PM
#
1st, use a non trial version direct from Inesoft.

2nd, a CO user friend with a PPC let me restore her PPC datafiles (many transactions!) to my hpc and everything was fine.

3rd, my idea of Inesoft charging much less, like $10, for the hpc version is a great idea IMO, but nobody else supports that idea?
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-06-09 7:59 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

wally - 2005-06-08 9:20 PM

1st, use a non trial version direct from Inesoft.

3rd, my idea of Inesoft charging much less, like $10, for the hpc version is a great idea IMO, but nobody else supports that idea?

"Use a non trial version direct from Inesoft"

Wally - What are you talking about? A non trial version, is a registered version?

BTW - I support the idea of Inesoft lowering their price, especially since they are selling a 4-5 year old product that they don't ever expect to update. There is no reason why we should be paying the same price for it as the newer PPC version!
It's bad business practice! I have emailed them about this, but as yet, I have received no response.
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-06-09 8:53 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CMONEX - no harm done, chum!

Stormy John - I agree with you, a price drop for 4 - 5 year old software is justified. Let me tell you a little story about Cash Organizer. When I initially bought it, Inesoft's description of the product at the time included a mention that split transactions and budgeting functions would be included in the next revision of Cash Organizer due to be released within the next few weeks. So I went ahead and purchased the software, on the premise that the enhanced functionality would be made available to me in the coming weeks.

A year later and following many messages back and forth, Inesoft finally told me that they would not issue a new release of the HPC version, that dismal sales of HPC product did not justify further development cost. At that point, I reminded them that that was not what I had bargained for, that my purchase of their software was based, in part, on their promise to upgrade CO 2000 with the ehanced functionality ... In short, I told them that if they're weren't prepared to upgrade the HPC version of CO 2000 that they should consider a refund.

Guess what - they did, I received a full refund.

Fast forward a year later, there was still no thing better than CO 2000 on the market, and there still isn't by the way (my humble opinion, even without split transactions and budget functionality). So I bought the software again, but by that time the priced had dropped 50%.

AHAHAHAHAHAH! I got my discount afterall!

Cheers!
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-06-10 10:43 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Update!

I received a positive response from Inesoft - they are considering my proposal that they lower their price of Cash Organizer 2000! It may not stimulate more sales, but under the circumstances, it is the right thing to do.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10