x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

rattyroo Page Icon Posted 2007-05-19 9:29 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

any recomendations for a cheap (used) H/PC that can do voip on linux? sorry if this has alread been covered, but my seach produced nothing.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-05-20 7:22 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

None of the handhelds currently support it. There is a possibility that the 720 may be able to run Skype in the future if it gets microphone support, and if we get Skype to make a strongarm (rather than xscale) compilation of their software, but I am not counting on it.

Honestly, what is so bad about cellphones?
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-05-22 6:37 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

what about sjlabs voip? i did light digging and they have two linux versions... only checked the major "linux" one and this is what i got from the readme

Requirement:
- libc-2.2.3 or later, XFree86 4.3.0 or later, or XOrg 6.7. or later.
- A wideband internet connection like DSL, 802.11a/b/g/n wireless, or an old good wired Ethernet or E1/T1. Dial-up users are welcome too, but a Speex, GSM, or iLBC codec must be used.
- Full-duplex sound is a must. To check it, run a recorder and player at the same time. If the both work properly, you have a full-duplex soundcard, that's OK.

and with the familiar or 720deg with the 2.4.x kernel the sound and mic should work... but i'm a total newb on linux and such... so i'm sure PS will point out some obvious flaw
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-05-22 7:42 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well, we still need microphone support...I don't think either of the kernels have that. As far as the requirements, it sounds fine except for the X requirements. But that shouldn't matter.
 Top of the page
B_Lizzard
B_Lizzard Page Icon Posted 2007-05-23 5:26 AM
#
Well, if we can get sound and microphone support for 6xx/7xx, it's just a matter of compiling the Voip program for them. Minisip might work, and there are a whole load of other Voip solutions, anyways. We're dutifully working on your problems.

And Kdrive *is* X.org, just a light version. That program should compile and work.

Edited by B_Lizzard 2007-05-23 5:28 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-05-23 9:06 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well yes, but I still have not gotten a new compile to work... The one we all use is practically five years old.

Anyways, just having X should be enough for these programs to run. The specific X requirement sounds like a stupid thing the developer just threw in because they didn't know better.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-05-24 5:58 AM
#
H/PC Elite

ProgramSynthesiser - 2007-05-23 8:06 PM

Well yes, but I still have not gotten a new compile to work... The one we all use is practically five years old.

5 years old? Not jlimes. I built mongo's kdrive from xorg 7.1

Cheers.
 Top of the page
B_Lizzard
B_Lizzard Page Icon Posted 2007-05-24 2:53 PM
#
And Donkey's Kdrive is from Xorg 7.1... What are you talking about?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-05-24 9:57 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Serious? You guys are not using the freedesktop version?
 Top of the page
rattyroo Page Icon Posted 2007-05-27 10:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

hey thanks for all the replys. a lot of it is over my head, but now that i have some leads i can start to do good research. so are yall saying that it's not possible? or that it is theoretically possible but would need some fabrication? it would be nice to know if i am just wasting my time before i do a coouple nights of research. ty again.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-05-27 10:08 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Now I see that it is absolutely possible, but we need microphone support. So doing research and posting what you find or what is necessary to make applications work could help us in the future, but until we get microphone support, none of it could actually be used.

I have no idea if or when that may happen.
 Top of the page
rattyroo Page Icon Posted 2007-06-04 7:05 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

There is a possibility that the 720 may be able to run Skype in the future if it gets microphone support, and if we get Skype to make a strongarm (rather than xscale) compilation of their software.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-06-04 8:15 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well yeah, but any voip would be great. If we can't run Skype, we would just tell our friends to use a different client instead.

There is a strongarm compilation around somewhere, but it is rare. There is a link on some forum, but I can't remember where, or if it is still valid.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 32