x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: NEC MobilePro 900c

1 2 3 4
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2007-05-22 3:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
Let's not forget another thing: Usedhandhelds gets you through times when there are NO (or very scarce) cheap deals on the market. And that is what you pay for, with reason I think.

They did and do this for the HP 200LX - still my favourite - and they did and do it for the CE handheld like the 900C. In that sense they have no competitors worldwide. I know - I compete a little with them on the 200LX side, but like all other (three) still remaining 'competitors' have at least several links to their site on mine - and refer some prospective customers to them for good reasons.
It has to do with a shared philosophy I think: don't let a good thing go waste.
So yes, sometimes expensive. Just utterly reliable and not in the quick business like many Ebay sellers.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-05-22 5:36 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Hurricane John - 2007-05-22 2:15 PM

BTW- As you can already see....this is a tough crowd to please.

maybe you could try and look for the problem not in the "tough crowd" just for once.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-05-22 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2007-05-22 2:47 PM

Things to be taken up with the author really.

fine but i assume he reads this thread, the lines below the review encourage the reader to have their say in the forum thread linked there.

1. It does say the 4.2 core, and there have been no 5.x releases on a H/PC. It's a semantic argument, but a weak one.

2 & 5. Its site policy not to endorse hacking, you know this. Foxit, ok but it is a beta.

4. Included, ok fixed

thx for reply and fix.
you forget about point 3.
1.: as weak as PIE on hpc2000 - erm, on cenet. (again, whats with that part in the review?)
2.: sorry i missed what you mean there in your reply.
5.: still what the review says there is not the truth. i dont like to read lies in a review. but thats me

C:Amie - 2007-05-22 5:38 PM

UsedHandhelds are a partner organisation of this site, their parent company has done a lot for the community over the last 10.5 years. They supplied the review device, at their expense and our template policy dictates that we have to enter a price on the review content. If you don't like the idea of paying $399 for the package, you don't pay it, and you don't get a UsedHandhelds MobilePro.

This community is at times all too unwilling to support anyone within it who has a shred of financial or business involvement in it. Whether that is software, hardware or information. We wont be apologising for the fact that it is a commercial review on a device that was once retailed at well over $1000.

In the face of freeware, paying $70 for what used to be Ansyr Primer, or buying PocketDOS instead of using BOCHS may on the same logic be utterly absurd as well. But hey, why buy SoftMaker Office when I can warez Pocket Office!

Put simply, as an organisation we just do not agree.

hmm i think usedhandhelds is great. if someone finds their prices high, fine, but they are still great.
i disagree on the community not willing to support that - every community is like that, ppc too, just the user number is higher so can give a good enough living to developers
actually i think the hpc community is "better" in this respect, i mean where do you see a hpc warez site?? you can find LOTS of those sites for ppc..

who would pay 70$ for a pdf reader though, when 1) adobe is lots better and faster 2) this primer is basically impossible to buy now 3) if you have a 900 then on the cd you have full version of primer, and if you upgrade that 900 to 900c, you should still be entitled to use this cd and its contents.

whats this with warezing pocketoffice? wow...seriously i dont think this counts as warez. this classification is hurting to me as the creator of the cenet pocketoffice suite.
also it will never offer the same features as softmaker, it was never the goal to replace softmaker. the goal was and is just to bring the hpc2000 platform experience to cenet.
i thought that was obvious, if not, then i apologize, hopefully this fact is made clear now!

also i forget who commented on the "full office" problem but i do agree partially, wordpad is almost the same except for spellcheck. same for powerpoint. i disagree on spreadsheet functionality, pocketexcel is LOTS better. and i like pocketaccess but each to their own.

Edited by cmonex 2007-05-22 5:48 PM
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-05-22 6:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nothing better than a good objective discussion on the merits of a device and all that is related to it. Makes the forum behave as it really should...kudos to all posters.

I'm not sure the convoluted logic in this remark, or that I understand it: "But hey, why buy SoftMaker Office when I can warez Pocket Office!"

Answer: For the same reason that any HPC Pro or HPC2000 owner would buy it...it is a much better application with much more power. Pocket Office will never be as good as Textmaker, no matter where it comes from.

Rich
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-05-22 7:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Rich, that was through and through sarcasm (and yes I know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit)
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-05-22 8:18 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

but why do you think it is warez intending to replace softmaker?

Edited by cmonex 2007-05-22 8:19 PM
Jens Page Icon Posted 2007-05-22 8:37 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

A nice to read review.

Just a small and rather unimportant hint: 399 $ of course isn´t equal to 120 €. Right now 399 $ is slightly above 300 €. (307 € if you divide by 1.3, which seems to be quite the average rate in the last months)

Edited by Jens 2007-05-22 8:38 PM
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-05-23 6:11 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

ROFL, Sarcasm? Now I understand.

CMonex, I don't think he was being serious about intending to replace Textmaker or anything else.

Wikipedia defines Warez however: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez so I guess technically our experimentation could be considered Warez as it is copyrighted material and I certainly don't have permission from Microsoft to redistribute it. (Not that I care what anyone thinks anyway )

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2007-05-23 6:16 AM
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-05-23 7:34 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

cmonex - 2007-05-22 5:36 PM

Hurricane John - 2007-05-22 2:15 PM

BTW- As you can already see....this is a tough crowd to please.

maybe you could try and look for the problem not in the "tough crowd" just for once.

Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-05-23 7:58 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2007-05-23 6:11 AM

Wikipedia defines Warez however: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez so I guess technically our experimentation could be considered Warez as it is copyrighted material and I certainly don't have permission from Microsoft to redistribute it. (Not that I care what anyone thinks anyway )

Rich

Wow!

This is going downhill fast.........How about we get back to discussing the 900c review?
frisser Page Icon Posted 2007-05-23 9:55 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I noticed that the Mobilepro 900c on the picture of the review is missing the rubber feets on the bottom and the 2 rubber feets on the screen... are you sure that this 900c is from UsedHandhelds.com?

cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-05-23 10:01 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

frisser: yes i noticed that it has scratches on the top but most 900c's on the market now have them. but i guessed i mentioned too many problems for the review already and this didn't matter so much but, if a photo of a (99%) scratchless top and of the rubber feet is needed, i can help.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-05-23 10:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Actually it looks like the bottom feet are there. The 900 came with the two round ones on the bottom, and then the two rectrangular ones, not 4 round ones. But the screen cushions are definitely missing, probably shows it was repaired....

Still despite all the general bantering, it is a great review Clinton, so take everything you read with a grain of salt. I for one appreciate your work....

Edited by Rich Hawley 2007-05-23 10:17 AM
Michael Page Icon Posted 2007-05-23 10:16 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Two of the bottom feet are missing actually. There are supposed to be 4 rectangular rubber feet. You can also see a large scratch along the length of the CF slot. Very common As cmonex said, all of these units are from the same source so they all have these problems.
frisser Page Icon Posted 2007-05-23 10:18 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Is there a boxed version out there - does some have this? I'm very curious about the box...

Yesterday I received my second 900c (almost scratchless - and with rubber feet ) - and I'm very pleased with the 900c. It's a huge machine so it won't fit in your jacket pocket - like the J720 - but the screen is beautiful and the keyboard is perfect if you have HUGE hands!
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12