x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jlime Development Options

1 2
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-23 12:27 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Just google it.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-08-23 7:00 PM
#
H/PC Elite

All you need to do to install more software if visit mongo.jlime.com/feed , browse around and find stuff you want to install. Then from console or terminal type 'ipkg update' to update the package list. The just type ' ipkg install links-x11' for example. You dont need to type the full package name ( example links-x11_2.0+2.1pre26-r0_arm.ipk would just be links-x11 ).

So long as the server isnt overloaded, the package should download and install. If you get a 'wget blah blah' error, that just means the server is under heavy load. Try again later. This will be fixed once we move to the new server/hosting.

Also note there are 2 browsers installed by default. Dillo and Midori. Midori renders quite nice as its based on the apple safari engine. If that isnt installed, update to the latest release.

Cheers.

Edited by RTFM 2007-08-23 7:02 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-23 7:45 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Close to konq? I just need a working browser already; I'm sick of lynx.

Actually, I haven't even installed X for years...always too busy working on the system internals.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-23 9:48 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

You're going to laugh, but guess what?
Every time I tried to browse with Midori, the system froze. Go figure. Of course I have no idea, now, what I was trying to browse to. Nothing much I'm sure - I don't visit flash-heavy sites anyway, but there might have been some java or popups or something...
Tried just now to visit the JLime feed, and it's being compiled. Will it tell me what the various modules are, and what they do? That's been half my trouble. Using the JLime package managers, I get these monster lists with almost no clue what goes with what, and what might be a program, and what is a dependency.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-23 9:51 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Bleh...ipkg.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-08-23 11:28 PM
#
H/PC Elite

bvjones: Go to the 'correct' url for the feed as i mentioned above... http://mongo.jlime.com/feed/ You only get the index.html if you go to the wrong url. To see each package description, open the 'Packages' file in a browser.

ProgramSynthesiser: Heh, ipkg is no worse than dpkg, apt, rpm, pkg_add, yadda yadda yadda. A package manager is a package manager. It's job is to install packages and their dependancies and all the above do just that. And yes midori, mini-browser, etc etc all render close to or the same as konq. Some rival firefox in rendering, just lack ssl, but are light and quite fast.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-23 11:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes, but apt runs better on the 720 than ipkg does. Much faster, and better descriptions.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-24 8:51 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Wow. Was able to browse to the feed as suggested, this a.m. Looks like I have some reading to do!

I assume I need to stick with the J7xx folder? And when I find a module... I should then use ipkg or whatever to actually download and install, right? Maybe the first one I should download is apt .
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-08-25 12:51 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Apt runs faster? Since when? Ipkg is a stripped out version on apt/dpkg, and seems to be roughly the same speed in my tests. Since i actually use both jlime and 720deg "*ahem* i know first hand. Ipkg is actually faster as it has less deps to install vs apt and its 100 deps per package. Package descriptions are also basically identical. Look up dillo's description for both. I dont see any difference.

As for installing apt on jlime, probably a bad idea, as it'll break your install. Apt pulls from debian repositories which are older and are built using different lib/dependancy versions etc etc. No, you dont have to stick to the jornada7xx folder, thats just a folder with j7xx specific kernel modules and such. Everything you see in any folder can be installed with the exception of the opie folder. That stuff wont run in icewm, nor will x11 apps run in opie (without xqt). Base folder is all console type apps that will work in either image.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-25 3:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Last version of ipkg I used, it used such a high level of compression on the package lists that I was sitting for a good while before it would start the install. And then there would be another wait for the next package...

I guess it's been fixed then.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-25 3:03 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Everything you see in any folder can be installed with the exception of the opie folder. That stuff wont run in icewm, nor will x11 apps run in opie (without xqt). Base folder is all console type apps that will work in either image.

Okay, so while I'm running Opie, I avoid the x11 apps (unless I add xqt) and if running icewm I avoid the opie apps. Did I get that right?
Actually, I'll probably test my understanding w/something simple like a card game (if you have any there...).
And I double-checked. Not getting any responses over at JLime. Guess I didn't ask an exciting enough question .
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-25 3:17 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah, except that there are very few OPIE apps (unless if you are thinking PIM) compared to X11. There should be a way to run OPIE ones in the X11 environment...

Lol, I never check the Jlime forums.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-25 3:25 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Aww, they're still "young." It ought to be the place to go, but you have to build up momentum. Maybe the 6xx pages are getting better action.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-25 3:55 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Or I'm just not really into the whole Jlime development phase yet.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.343 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 9