x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jlime Development Options

1 2
nevermnd Page Icon Posted 2007-05-24 11:42 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

First off I'd like to say I'm really impressed with the way Jlime/720degrees dev is going. Aside from the sound issues I think the only thing keeping me from saying goodbye to CE forever on my 720 is that one of the programs I use most often is one I wrote using EVB; I'm considering my options for porting this app to Linux, but I'm really not sure where to start-- First off are there versions of basic available that would possible run on either release? My other option would be to write something in Java, but I'm not sure if there is a VM available? Unfortunately C, the most obvious choice, is a bit beyond me, though the program itself is not that complicated... Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: Given that the program is not all that complicated, Flash would also be an option, if there is a recent version of flash player available.

Edited by nevermnd 2007-05-24 11:50 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-05-24 11:55 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i think the other think keeping you would be the power management, but i hope they'll solve by implementing real suspend/resume..

what is this program?
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2007-05-24 1:07 PM
#
The odds are that theres a similar program available in the JLime feed, what is it you're after?
 Top of the page
nevermnd Page Icon Posted 2007-05-24 2:39 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Well its my Chinese flashcard program; It basically uses jpeg images of flashcards I've scanned and keeps track of your testing results something like the Leitner system. I never released it to the public because of I think 1) limited interest and 2) the scans are from the Chinese in a Flash Vol 1-4 set of flashcards that I own, but which are under copyright. Maybe there is something like SuperMemo available for Jlime ? Something that would allow me to make my own cards by specifying Jpeg images for front, back, etc...
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-03 9:40 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Wow!
Slightly off topic here (can't help with programming) but you're the first person I know who has used SuperMemo on any platform! And I was originally using it to learn Chinese, too, although only in pinyin. THAT I got working on my old Treo 600. Don't think the pda version would handle jpegs anyway. Nowadays I use it to learn computer terminology for when I someday take the A+ exams.

I would be interested to know if anyone has 'ported a linux version of that.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-05 2:35 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Eh, I think you would have to do it in C, or some other Linux-compatible scripting language. If you are already a competent programmer in some language, you should be able to figure it out.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-21 10:50 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Say ProgSynth, I just installed Opie on my 720, and can't seem to get "permission" to run your createswap utility. Does it only work with icewm? Or do I need to become root somehow? If answer to number two is "yes," please explain HOW to become root in Opie. I logged off, then at the terminal prompt tried to log back in as root, but no password was requested and I still had no permissions. Then I couldn't get the right command to log back in to Opie and had to hard reset. Ugh! Good thing I'm not trying to actually USE this beast yet! But I'd like to be able to sometime... :-).
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-22 1:34 AM
#
H/PC Elder

OPIE really is crap...

Anyways, you should be able to run createswap in a terminal as ROOT by running:

sh createwap

You could also do:

chmod +x createswap ; ./createswap

Same thing really, just one adds the execute permission to the file so you can run it directly without the use of sh.

If you can open a terminal in OPIE, type su and your password (if there is any).

Honestly, you could just run it at the terminal prompt...there is no reason to run it in OPIE. But as it is a simple script, it doesn't make a difference.

Oh, and I have never tested it on Jlime, just 720degrees, though it should still work.

If you look at the script, you can see that it just creates the swap file and edits /etc/fstab...not really much that can go wrong there.

Good luck, and please post the results.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-08-22 8:55 AM
#
H/PC Elder

My biggest problem with it at the moment is the stylus input being so inacurate compared to how well it works in CE on my 720...

I find I only click on the thing I want (esspecially in the program manu 1 in 3 times) and when you are clicking on 2 things to get the program you want this is really annoying...

It's got to the stage where I have to use the arrow keys to select stuff (now I would have suspected a dodgey touchscreen but it works fine in CE)....

Still I am sure all these small issues will get ironed out as they progress the project.

JOhn
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-22 12:38 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I've had trouble in IceWM with the mouse. It needs a VERY light touch, and must be calibrated every time you reboot (which I had to do a lot).
That's one thing that seems better in Opie: the mouse is sane, right from the get-go, and although it can take a while to get the calibration program to "like" your taps, it's a LOT better than the Ice version.
And I definitely like Opie's K__(?) web browser better than Dillo! Way more advanced options.
So, assuming I can figure out this swap file thingy, I think I'll stick with Opie for now. IceWM looks lots cooler but I just have more trouble with it. I expect some frustration as a newbie linux user running a beta version on an older HPC, but I do want occasional smooth sailing .
ProgSynth, I did try first just using Terminal in Opie, which is where I got my first "no permissions" message. I guess Opie doesn't boot into Root (Ice does, although I did it from command prompt, logging in as root then typing startx). I never had the option in Opie to create any user account or password, root or otherwise. It just started right up. Guess I'd better start reading the documentation, huh?
I'll check out the run-as-root options you suggest. I'll let you know soon if I get it to work. Thanks!
BTW, your script also sets the swap to load automatically in future, right?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-22 2:57 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I was told by the other Jlime developers that the dodgy touchscreen problem was fixed ages ago -- I think you have to call Xfbdev with -mouse /dev/input/event1.

Konq/E is not just for OPIE, even specifically having an option to compile for X.

Yes, entering a swap into /etc/fstab loads it on startup like the rest of the mountpoints (I specified it to do so). You actually have to restart if you don't want to do any more work before it loads... or you could just type swapon /swap/swapfile directly after running the thing (I should probably append that to the script).

I don't know why they keep using IceWM, anyways. There are much better window managers that they could be working with.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-22 3:24 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Using the sh before the command took care of the problem (yay!).
And as I logged back in here, I saw your very last post, ran swapon, and opened System Info. There it was (double-yay!)
I knew that KonqE could run elsewhere, but I am not yet capable of compiling anything... so if it isn't already IN IceWM, I can't add it. As proof, I have zero idea of what you said about xfbdev .
Now that I have the swap up and running, I might actually be able to download a package or two.
Thanks again!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-08-22 3:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I meant that the Jlime team is on it, and those problems should be gone soon. They are (finally) leaving OPIE behind and moving to a real system.

You can also type free in the console and see your available memory.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-08-22 10:57 PM
#
H/PC Elite

There really arent any better window managers than IceWM. For starters its 300k smaller than blackbox/fluxbox, it resembles windoze ( easy for new user ), it has full keyboard shortcuts so you'll never really need the stylus, can hide taskbar, can full screen windows which removes taskbar and window borders and auto stretches the window to fit the screen, alt+tab window switching, virtual desktops, etc etc etc. Name 1 light WM that has all that in less than 650k thats actually 'user friendly'.

Touch screen should only have to be calibrated 1 time upon first boot ( automatic in opie, run calibration manually in icewm). I've never had to recalibrate mine since first boot. Its is a bit over sensative in 2.6.19 kernel and has been fixed for the upcoming 2.6.23 kernel.

I've yet to get konqueror-embedded to build for x11, but there are many more browsers you could use besides dillo. There is firefox, midori, gpe-mini-browser, osb-browser, links-x11 etc etc in the feed. Some are the same caliber as konq/e if not better in the speed and rendering department.

Anyway, it is beta, and not yet released, so you can always expect bugs and quirks. And as always, you'll find more info and get more answers on jlimes forums.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-22 11:22 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I was mainly asking ProgSynth about his createswap, and mentioned the mouse issues in passing. I really have continued to have mouse problems, probably because I keep doing something to make JLime freeze up so I can't log off. I guess as a newbie I go trying to do more than the poor 720 can handle, and keep setting off all the "bugs." I do expect that, and I'm not impatient. Well, not much. We're all volunteers, here, after all.
And although I love IceWM in most respects, I don't know how to download other browsers. I posted on JLime about it, can't use the package utility at all...no response. Maybe my "notify" button is turned off? Happened to me on the Puppy forum recently. Maybe I should go check again...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10