x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Virtual CE and VNC

The Bishop Page Icon Posted 2005-04-02 8:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have downloaded both the Virtual CE and the VNC and I can not get them to connect. I have a Jornada 720. Is there anyone that has the same hardware and has gotten a connection and success using these programs?

The Bishop
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-02 9:13 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I don't know about Virtual CE, but VNC seems to be very tricky to get working from anything other than a LAN. I think I would need my DSL gateway to redirect the VNC request to my desktop, but haven't tried. All I did was get a direct wireless connection at home by typing in the ip address and the screen number, such as 245.127.13.1:1. But that is when running VNC on Linux. I did try it with Windows 2000, and I don't think I needed a screen # for that.

Anyone else no how to get it working remotely with a modem on the 720 and DSL on the desktop?

-Take into account that VNC on the 720 is VERY VERY slow. Even when I set the resolution to 640x240, it would take a very long time for things to work. And I didn't have a network lag.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-02 10:56 PM
#
H/PC Elite

if you want a client that is fast (*cough* VNC *cough*) and that is up to date with host support from recent platforms (*cough* PCAnywhere CE *cough*) then you should try NetOp, the company that sells it is called DanWare. it's fast, i use it to remote control my XP laptop via WiFi, dunno if anything else than LAN (either wired or wireless) will work, but what i can tell you is that is the fastest client available for the H/PC.

ProgramSynthesiser: you actually need a screen number for VNC under windows, it's just that it's always 0

Hope this helps

PS. i'm not in any way affiliated or endorsed or paid by Danware to promote their products , is just that they're so cool
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 12:51 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Lol.

Yeah, it was 0.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 8:39 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The Bishop

can you explain for us your setup and what you are trying to achieve, as the two technologies will do different things.
Virtual CE is remote access from the host and VNC in its current stable CE incarnation is remote access to the host.
 Top of the page
The Bishop Page Icon Posted 2005-04-05 11:51 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I downloaded the NetOp Remote and it is awesome! I tried to play a large Quick Time file on the system and could not get audio and the frame speed was very slow on my Jornada 720. How did you correct this problem with viewing video files?
It had no problem with large programs running on my desk tops. Do you think that I need to do a memory upgrade to 64 on my J720? I appreciate your help. By the way are you familiar with the EN-PDA SoftPhone and its use with HandheldPC 2000? I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

The Bishop
 Top of the page
The Bishop Page Icon Posted 2005-04-05 3:18 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I got the Virtual CE to work perfectly after a little more trial and error. I have become frustrated with the VNC set-up and downloaded the NetOp Remote from Danware which is very fast and easy to set-up on both my desktop and J720. I'm connected wireless with my Lynksys card system(WPC 11) and the NetOp works great, except for when I tried to play a large .mov file(quicktime). I'm having problems with low frame speed and no audio output on my J720. The visual is great. I beleive someone will come up with a solution.

Thanks to everyone for your expertise,

The Bishop
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-24 7:23 PM
#
H/PC Elite

i think your framerate problem will not be solved, i use NetOp as a powerpoint remote control and even then the transition sometimes looks choppy. so i think you won't be able to watch videos at full framerate.

Hope this helps

Edited by matrixcore 2005-04-24 7:26 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9