x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

thinking of buying

1 2 3
rob
rob Page Icon Posted 2005-04-02 9:59 PM
#
hi,

I have been reading ( or trying to read ) the threads here. I am not the best computer person....

I'm thinking of buying a tiger direct jornada. some questions though.

1) is it difficult to get software for the version of CE that it runs?
2) can you move stuff to your pc without getting some other equipment?
3) no cradle? can you still recharge it? it has a battery?
4) sounds like you can get a wifi connection with a wifi card, but it has no modem....right?

thanks for the info

Rob
 Top of the page
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 12:54 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hello, and welcome to the forums! I'll give you same basic responses to your questions, but it may be helpful to tell us what model of Jornada you are looking at, since they run different versions of Windows CE and have slightly different configurations.

1. In general, software for Handheld PCs is rather limited, compared to PocketPC, PalmOS, etc. Fortunately, the software that comes preloaded on the device will handle most of your needs, and there is some decent software available if they don't - but you do have to look for it.

2. To move files between your computer and the Jornada, you simply need the SUB or serial cable that comes supplied with it. You also need to install ActiveSync on your PC (available at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync38.mspx)

3. It has a rechargable battery. You simply plug in the AC adapter to charge it. No cradle included or necessary.

4. I've never had a Jornada, but I have yet to see a HPC without a dialup modem. You can connect to the internet in just about every way that you can from a computer - the only catch is that you have to find hardware that is compatible with the device. The Hardware Compatibility List on here (http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl) will give you an idea of what is known to work with different versions of Handheld PC.

Hope this helps, and again, posting the model of Jornada you are interested in will help you get more precise responses. Welcome to the wonderful (and often frustrating) world of HPC!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 12:55 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Someone else answer this...unless if they want to know how many times I can use newt in a sentence.

1. CE has software, of course it runs.

2. If you have the cable..

3. Every frickin electronic device except for very few HAVE A BATTERY.

4. E's never have a modem. YES YOU CAN GET A WIFI CONNECTION. (we at #40 yet?)

YOUR WELCOME ROB!

EDIT: Darn serrealmonk got there first.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-04-03 12:57 AM
 Top of the page
rob
rob Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 1:32 AM
#
hi,

too redirect a little
I'm talking about the 680e's that tigerdirect has right now.

More specifically I want to know if I can get 'other' software to run on it considering the windows CE is out of date..... I'd like a few games.....stuff to do....

and I understand that the card slot is blocked off.....
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 1:46 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes, there is software available on the web. PLEASE read the 680e thread. It should have everything you need.
 Top of the page
Maul
Maul Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 3:27 AM
#
ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-04-03 12:55 AM

Someone else answer this...unless if they want to know how many times I can use newt in a sentence.

YOUR WELCOME ROB!

Will someone please boot this clown off of the forums? I'm am so sick of Program's holier than thou, lets make you feel like an idiot attitude. Your the only one who acts like this and I'm tired of seeing you belittle newcomers! Admins put this idiot in check please! Program you are not the hpc hero you think you are so grow up! I apologize for Program Rob, not everyone here feels the need to put down newcomers wether the questions are redundant or not.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 3:37 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Maul - 2005-04-03 12:27 AM

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-04-03 12:55 AM

YOUR WELCOME ROB!

Will someone please boot this clown off of the forums? I'm am so sick of Program's holier than thou, lets make you feel like an idiot attitude. Your the only one who acts like this and I'm tired of seeing you belittle newcomers! Admins put this idiot in check please! Program you are not the hpc hero you think you are so grow up! I apologize for Program Rob, not everyone here feels the need to put down newcomers wether the questions are redundant or not.

Oh, I am sorry, are you missing something? How about instead of COMPLAINING ABOUT ME, YOU REGISTER AND ANSWER THEIR QUESTIONS?

-I happen to get along well with the admins, thank you very much
 Top of the page
rob
rob Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 4:04 AM
#
How well does the browser work. You know if I get a wifi card?

rob

p.s. I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not sweating it. A little clowning doesn't hurt me none.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 5:47 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Maul has his own problems, I do not clown around. All things that I do on this forum, including my flamings, are meant to be amusing, except for my last post.

PIE (pocket internet explorer) hardly works as well as all of us would like, which is why a new web browser is in the arguing.

To find a wifi card, go to www.hpcfactor.com/hcl - DO look at the 680e thread please!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 9:58 AM
#
H/PC Elder

rob - 2005-04-03 2:04 AM

How well does the browser work. You know if I get a wifi card?

rob

p.s. I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not sweating it. A little clowning doesn't hurt me none.

If you are doing light surfing on site that have no javascripts and/or flash, it should be ok. SSL sites are fine too, with the appropriate certs. For info on that, you might want to do a search.

FYI, Yahoo! and Google mail is now supporting basic html without all the javascript whistles and bells, so you can check mail on both servers with no prob.

btw, Google is now 2GB!!! wooo hooo!
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 1:11 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

rob - 2005-04-02 9:59 PM

I have been reading ( or trying to read ) the threads here. I am not the best computer person....
I'm thinking of buying a tiger direct jornada. some questions though.
1) is it difficult to get software for the version of CE that it runs?
2) can you move stuff to your pc without getting some other equipment?
3) no cradle? can you still recharge it? it has a battery?

Welcome to the Forum Rob. Ignore Maul. I have no idea what he is talking about. I suspect he doesn't either. ProgramSynthesiser is a regular member here. He is helpful to newbies and he was not being insulting.

Several members of HPC bought one or two of the Tigerdirect J 680e models. All of them have appeared to be never used, refurbished (which at Tiger often just means literature replaced & device is repackaged.)

The Tiger units were HP custom makes for the Dutch Railways. The units come with a good main battery and actually have everything but the audio buttons (you can buy them for under $4 . The speaker is junk anyway so most buyers do not attempt the difficult task of installing them. Some have carefully removed the Railroad logo from the removed base and glued it over the holes. I just covered them with a strip of colored duct tape to keep out dirt.

You will need two Torx micro drivers T5 & T6 to You can get a nice Husky Torx set from a Home Depot store or the Online store, for under $5. You need a T6 Torx to remove the Dutch Railway bottom. Do not replace the screws. They are not neccessary anyway. When you remove the custom bottom, you can access the CF slot, which works.

I do not think software is an issue for reasons already mentioned and because there is a good selection available here and elsewhere. An up to date program such as uBook (an ebook reader) includes an SH3 cab version which installs easily and works great on the 680e

An eBay retailer sells Wireless 802.11b CF cards for Jornadas for $24 "Buy It Now". He includes Jornada drivers and instructions. Search Item #5765004652

--Bruised
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 1:26 PM
#
H/PC Elite

ProgramSynthesiser's got a point It realy gets anoying when people don't use the 'Search' link at the top of the page. I would anwser everybodys problems its an active enough forum. Anyway ProgramSynthesiser's not usualy like this, he's quite nice realy it just gets to us when people don't try and help thereselves.

Nick
 Top of the page
Rob
Rob Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 1:28 PM
#
thanks all....

That pretty much answers my questions. except what was that 'new browser' is in the arguing? Does that mean that a new browser for 680e will be out soon? or can be found?

Rob
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 3:23 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I don't have this kind of time. Someone else tell him to use the search button to find the web browser thred in developers arena.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 3:56 PM
#
H/PC Elder

well, as I mentioned to someone, we are not born knowing everything. And that includes knowing that one can and should search the forum first before posting a new thread.

Maybe C:Aime can put a "Gentle" reminder on the posting page for new thread posters to do a search before posting.

On a side note, HP user tech forum requires users to create new threads instead of "hijacking" (to borrow their exact term!) existing threads ... so its really a matter of protocol and conventions. For someone who is used to the other convention, they would think its the norm to post a new thread.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9