x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

thinking of buying

1 2 3
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 4:48 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

It was a joke, as the web browser is such a HUGE thing going on in this forum right now.
 Top of the page
rob
rob Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 5:21 PM
#
hi,

It is interesting that I started by saying that I HAD been reading the threads, AND that I didn't understand them much. If you don't wanna answer a newbies questions, well then, don't......

I do appreciated any help though.

Rob
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 5:39 PM
#
H/PC Elder

rob - 2005-04-03 3:21 PM

It is interesting that I started by saying that I HAD been reading the threads, AND that I didn't understand them much. If you don't wanna answer a newbies questions, well then, don't......

I do appreciated any help though.

Rob

Rob, dun worry. Its not too much of a snag for us mostly. Either we answer them (if our memory works) or we point you to other threads.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 6:26 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Sigh. I don't have a problem with answering newbie questions, but I already directed you to the web browser thread. Do you need a link too? It was not a mean joke, you have to understand that.

Some people really need to get a sense of humour around here.
 Top of the page
Maul
Maul Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 7:51 PM
#
ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-04-03 6:26 PM

Sigh. I don't have a problem with answering newbie questions, but I already directed you to the web browser thread. Do you need a link too? It was not a mean joke, you have to understand that.

Perhaps you would be better served not even responding to newcomer questions, since they can't seem to understand your "sense of humor". I know I certainly wouldn't miss your version of comedy when asking questions. Whats really bothersome is you just posted your "Where's the community!" piece but look how you treat newmember questions. Wether you like it or not, your behavior is not fitting of a senior forum member. If duplicate posts are bothering you just let someone else who isn't burn't out on helping people answer them. I hope you actually give my suggestions some thought, rather than just smartoff, but I won't hold my breath.
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 7:54 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Maul - 2005-04-03 7:51 PM

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-04-03 6:26 PM

Perhaps you would be better served not even responding to newcomer questions, since they can't seem to understand your "sense of humor". I know I certainly wouldn't miss your version of comedy when asking questions. Whats really bothersome is you just posted your "Where's the community!" piece but look how you treat newmember questions. Wether you like it or not, your behavior is not fitting of a senior forum member. If duplicate posts are bothering you just let someone else who isn't burn't out on helping people answer them. I hope you actually give my suggestions some thought, rather than just smartoff, but I won't hold my breath.

I couldn't agree with you more!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 8:29 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Wait, wait, wait-PS answers every question he can, I know whoever complains about some of the things he says still gets help from the other things he says. I know when you see the same questions over and over in new threads it gets old, and I must admit, I enjoy seeing some of the things he replies to. Very amusing A lot of the issues I have had have been resolved By PS, not by what I have asked, but by my reading over past threads. Thank you.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 8:39 PM
#
H/PC Elder

MAUL, IF YOU WANT AN OPINION AROUND HERE, THEN REGISTER. YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED A SINGLE QUESTION NOR HELPED ANYONE. EITHER HELP OUT, OR LAY OFF.

-sorry Uncle Ben, but he is not worth listening to.
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 9:14 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Calm down PS. The whole deal isn't really worth it... Be mellow... Let newcomers ask. Refer them to a thread if the question has been asked before.

Well actually, I think the purpose of the forums is to repeat questions. Otherwise, why not compile all pieces of information and publish it on the internet like Henri did, and be happy??!!

peace,

Edited by msafi 2005-04-03 9:15 PM
 Top of the page
Rixware Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 11:57 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

It is interesting that I started by saying that I HAD been reading the threads, AND that I didn't understand them much.

Rob has a point. I've been scouring the forums and they have been very helpful -- to a point.

But I'm finding that a certain amount of knowledge is assumed -- knowledge that I don't have and don't know how to acquire. For example, it took me forever to realize there's a difference between Handheld PC and Pocket PC, that a "Pro" machine runs WinCE 2.11, and that MIPS is a type of processor.

Is there a FAQ somewhere that might clue us newbies in on some of the basics?

Thanks!

Rick
+

Edited by Rixware 2005-04-04 12:03 AM
 Top of the page
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 12:41 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Rixware - 2005-04-03 8:57 PM

But I'm finding that a certain amount of knowledge is assumed -- knowledge that I don't have and don't know how to acquire. For example, it took me forever to realize there's a difference between Handheld PC and Pocket PC, that a "Pro" machine runs WinCE 2.11, and that MIPS is a type of processor.
+

Excellent point, Rick... I was a PPC user for awhile, and I knew nothing about HPCs... I just thought they were basically PPCs with keyboards and bigger screens... It wasn't until I asked some "silly" questions on a different forum, ans someone referred me to this and some other sites, that I actually began to learn... Everyone has to begin somewhere.

Incidently, when I first read the original post, I could immediately sense the impending flame war, like a dog detecting a major thunderstorm... lol. Which is I responded as quickly as possible to hopefully provide some useful information.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 1:03 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I took the afternoon to think about this, and I have already given it some thought, Maul. But what I don't like is the fact that you have not done anything of use on this board. If you want to chase me about the internet, bother me by email, but this should be solved OFF the forums. I do not assume much knowledge, all that I want (and other members that are not being as vocal) is for all newbies to search for their questions first (and I mean a comprehensive search) and THEN post to the forum. Is there much of a problem about that?

Rob's question has been asked MANY times before, so I was slightly annoyed. But did I flame him? No. Sarcastic? Yes. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Many newbies have taken my flames the wrong way, like my most famous newts one. It was only meant to be a humorous way to tell you all to search the forums, the support section, and the HCL first. But unfortunately it was taken the wrong way. Do any of my flames have any personal attacks? None except for the last one. My intentions were meant to be vocal, whether it would end up in you all hating me or not. Its reasons are there, I hope that everyone sees them. Will the flamings stop? Why, they already have. Mauls reply is different, as it actually enraged me that I was being chased about the forums by a person who does nothing but taunt me. Is that necessary? No. It just fills up the threads with junk. And it WILL be taken off the forums and solved like it should be.

Maul, I will give you my terms simply. You should either register and help users, or shut up.

We will solve this via email.

Apologies all across the board for all of those without senses of humour who took my replies wrong. I do not mind replying to newbies, but I DO mind replying to repetitive posts. One example would be Andrew with his NEW questions. Good enough for you all? Now leave me alone.

-Ya gotta respect the bad guy
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 1:15 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Back on topic, Rick, everything you need to know is on the top of this window. If you want to know the history and the differences between the types of CE, read about Windows CE. If you have a problem with setup and various other things, check the Support section first. If you want to know about hardware that is compatible with your device, check out the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List). If you want software, check out Downloads. If you want any other information, there are links to other CE sites on the home page of this site. C:Amie and the other admins have worked so, so hard to get all this information for everyone. If you want the "assumed" knowledge, simply browse this site. Read around. Get up to date on everything. If you still have a problem, search the forum.THEN post. Simple enough?

If there are any problems that anyone has with this, I simply don't know what to tell you. But it sure is faster to find an answer than to ask, wait a while, and then find it.

If anyone has anything left to complain about me, tell me via email or PM, but DO NOT state it on the forums. Do we need this to be what everyone sees on Google?

Peace (do I really need to say that?)
 Top of the page
Rixware Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 1:46 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

First, let me say that this thread doesn't seem like a flame war to me. The discussion has been respectful and humorous while getting valid points across. (Believe me, I'm very familiar with the search page at this point...)

Second, it's clear that a whole lot of work has gone into this site and it has been very valuable to me as I've started to wade into the HPC pond -- er, ocean. There is a ton of info here to be assimilated, and some real experts who can help. The work is appreciated!

Third, I've scoured the links at the top of the page and the forums trying to divine the lay of the HPC land -- er, continent -- and I'm still puzzled about some of the basics. This is not the fault of this site, but of the messy world that is The Portable PC.

For example, (and no need to answer this question here because I know it's off the thread topic) I'm trying to discern whether tips which apply to a Jornada running WinCE 2.11 will also apply to a MobilePro 880 which runs the same OS. It seems like some might, and some might not, but I'm still in the dark about how to figure out which are which. (FAQs or separate forums by device manufacturer might help in this regard, but I know that's a lot of work to administer...)

So, please don't interpret me as being critical. I'm just confused by the mess which manufacturers (mainly Microsoft) have made of this class of product...

Peace (is assumed).

Rick
+
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 2:05 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Naah, I can answer it here - we are already vastly off-topic, but that problem had to be solved. If they run the same system, generally all tips but hardware ones apply.

You can find more hardware tips by searching Google, maybe I will make a mini-tutorial on hardware types for HPC's.

Last time I am saying this (not the 70's...hahaha C:Amie) Peace.

-Maul, I am awaiting an email.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 12