x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help required is possible

1 2
Andrew
Andrew Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 3:01 AM
#
I have just been given a Compaq c140 wince 1.0. No cable etc just the machine. Does anyone no how to get extra software on to it or could emal me software to copy direct to a cf card that will just require simply copying to correct folders on the machine. And even the irda drivers that could be copied to correct loctaions so could sync with my laptop??

Thank you for any help.

regards Andrew

email is
andrew.moorhouse@tiscali.co.uk

Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 3:44 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Great job on getting your hands on a CE 1 device!!!

The thread before this has a site with CE 1 software. That is about it. To transfer it to a CF card, you will have to buy an adaptor as you have no cable. You can get your hands on a pcmcia adaptor for a laptop, or a usb one for a desktop.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 8:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Andrew to sync the device you will need to use H/PC Explorer:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/syncsoft/hpcexplorer/

If you are using Windows 2000 or XP you will need to look at the articles here:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0014.asp

I recommend that you have a read anyway.
 Top of the page
Andrew
Andrew Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 12:46 PM
#
Thanks to all those who have helped so far... BUT is it possible to install directly on the compaq c140(wince 1.0) Like I can on my Ipaq 3870??

Again thanks to all for any help...

regards
Andrew
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 10:45 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

If you can manage to extract the exe and copy it right to the device...

Your idea about irda may just be the ticket to getting the files on there much easier. But I don't remember H/PC Explorer fondly, so I guess we will see.
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 7:26 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Andrew - 2005-04-03 12:46 PM

Thanks to all those who have helped so far... BUT is it possible to install directly on the compaq c140(wince 1.0) Like I can on my Ipaq 3870??

Again thanks to all for any help...

regards
Andrew

Yes, Andrew, you can install directly. But in order to do so, you must first extract the files from the *.exe file that you've downloaded. Those files are usually executable ZIP files, hence when you click on it, the installation program will kick-in on your desktop. But since you don't want to install via ActiveSync, you can abort the installation in mid-stream. The files will already have been extracted to the folder you designated when you ran the *.exe file. If you then go to that folder, you should see a number of CAB files, one of which you should be able to recognized as the one applicable for your device and processor. You can then just copy that particular CAB file over to a TEMP folder your device and then click on it. CAB files is another type of self-extracting files - it will automatically install the software on your device and and the CAB file will also be automatically erased.

HTH,

Top of the page
Andrew
Andrew Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 7:39 AM
#
I have read on this site and had it confirmed that wince1.0 which is what the compaq C140 runs does not support cab installations. Thank Unc ben for replying. Also It is not that I dont wish to install via a pc I simple dont have a cable...

Andrew
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 7:54 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Andrew - 2005-04-04 7:39 AM

I have read on this site and had it confirmed that wince1.0 which is what the compaq C140 runs does not support cab installations. Thank Unc ben for replying. Also It is not that I dont wish to install via a pc I simple dont have a cable...

Andrew

Oh, didn't know that! Sorry about that chum!
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 7:59 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

There is another trick in getting those files there.
"EVERY" program that installs itself through activesync is using cabs it transfers.

1 install activesync on a computer (no cable required)
2 install the software you want. As much as you want (since there is no device connected, it wont whine or warn about incompatible, but dont worry about that for now)
3 do a search on the c-drive for "*.cab" (checkmark the all files and include subfolders)
look in the list it shows for cabs with the name of the software you installed, and copy those to a seperate folder.
copy this folder to a cf card, and you'd be good to go.

the filenames of cabs for mobile devices usualy have something with a 4 digit number, but I dont know the number for wince 1 devices, so just try them all, and make a note of the ones that work.

in my case, I keep the folder on my computer with the cabs, and make the files read-only.
this will keep the files on the device as well. if they are not readonly, the cabs get deleted after install.

I copy the important files on the rom drive (ipaq filestore/internal disk, whatever) as well, in case of an accidental hard reset
 Top of the page
Andrew
Andrew Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 8:28 AM
#
Right there seems to be a confusion with wince 1 and other wince versions. Wince 1 DOES NOT SUPPORT cab file installations this came into being from ce 2 onwards.... Thank you to all those who have suggested this method but had tried it as like you all I assumed this would work as it does on my Ipaq 3870.. Again thank you to everyone...

regards
Andrew
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 12:52 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Andrew, it's a syndrome of 99% of people never having used CE1 and generalising.

I have covered IR in another thread, however with CE1 you are limited to host .exe's delivered through a terminal connection, Dial-up connection or H/PC Explorer.
Some .exe's, but not many will provide on deivce installer files similar to Windows .exe installlers, however most were wrapped to plug in to H/PC Explorer. Microsoft Added the "third option" to give another delivery method, reduce installer sizes and speed up ActiveSync delivery with the 2.0 release. That of course was CABInst.
 Top of the page
Andrew
Andrew Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 1:52 PM
#
Dont suppose you'd have a copy of the folders with paint installed in them you could email?? Its the only app I really need now. I want to use the machine for ground surveys within cave systems so being able to draw topographs is usefull......

regards

Andrew
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 2:40 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If I do it is on the disk of my primary workstation, which is currently down pending new hardware. Sorry.
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 5:02 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2005-04-04 12:52 PM

Andrew, it's a syndrome of 99% of people never having used CE1 and generalising.

I have covered IR in another thread, however with CE1 you are limited to host .exe's delivered through a terminal connection, Dial-up connection or H/PC Explorer.
Some .exe's, but not many will provide on deivce installer files similar to Windows .exe installlers, however most were wrapped to plug in to H/PC Explorer. Microsoft Added the "third option" to give another delivery method, reduce installer sizes and speed up ActiveSync delivery with the 2.0 release. That of course was CABInst.

A "syndrome" ... no, I don't think so, just a temporary memory lapse perhaps. I did have a 320LX at one time, which was CE1-based if I'm not mistaken, was it Chris? Oh, darn memory, it doesn't get any better as you get older you know! My definition of memory is a faculty that learns how to forget! So there!

I made a CABy mistake, so what - do you have to rub it in for crying out loud! A sad sad sad mistake that I readily acknowledged. That being said, in spite of my old age, I can still add and subtract - you know what I mean Jelly Bean!

If other readers here don't know what I mean, just let it slide, Jelly Bean knows exactly what I'm referring to.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 5:24 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Andrew - 2005-04-03 3:01 AM

I have just been given a Compaq c140 wince 1.0. No cable etc just the machine. Does anyone no how to get extra software on to it or could emal me software to copy direct to a cf card that will just require simply copying to correct folders on the machine.

Try the staff at [usedhandhelds.com] The site is owned by the founder and owner of handheldpc magazine. He is a foremost expert on handhelds. They repair them and buy and sell them. One of their favorites are 360XLs. You can email the site director Sambit at Sambit@usedhandhelds.com... Tell him your problem and the cable you need. They may well have one to sell you.

also check the orphan PC area of eBay for a cable. CE1 devices are sold on eBay.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9