x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Linksys WPC11 v3.0 (Usedhandhelds.com)

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-06-04 6:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

A cold drink, a warm summers day, and a swimming pool. Sometimes it pays to work in mobile devices!

Clinton Fitch takes it easy by the pool in his latest hardware review on HPC:Factor, that of the venerable Linksys WPC11 PC Card WiFi adapter, provided by Usedhandhelds.com.

Read the review and don't forget to have your say on this, or any of our reviews here on the forum!

We would also like to hear your opinions on the use of the graphics dogs (the watermarks) used in this review. Please let us know here.

View: Linksys WPC11 v3.0
 Top of the page Quote Reply
hagisbasheruk
hagisbasheruk Page Icon Posted 2007-06-04 7:13 PM
#
This card also plays nice with Jlime Linux
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-06-04 8:15 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

In my opinion, some WPC11 v.3 cards work beautifully and some cause MP900C (and Skeye.pad SL with CE .NET 4.1) to freeze. If I need to buy WiFi cards for CE .NET devices, I'd stay away from WPC11 v.3 as there is a chance of failing those devices. Of course, only actually test can determine if a WPC11 v.3 card works on MP900C. So far, 4 WPC11 v.3 cards failed on MP900C with ISLP2NDS or PRISMNDS while a few did work nicely.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-06-05 6:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CAuser, very interesting. We all had WPC11's to play with on this one, and none of us experienced any issues on 900/900c's. 2.00 and 2.11 were different kettles of fish. To my knowledge UsedHandhelds have not been receiving significant support calls on their models (which are all European release WPC11 v3.0's). Do you by any chance still have the failed cards so we can compare serial numbers?
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-06-05 9:22 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2007-06-05 7:03 AM

CAuser, very interesting. We all had WPC11's to play with on this one, and none of us experienced any issues on 900/900c's. 2.00 and 2.11 were different kettles of fish. To my knowledge UsedHandhelds have not been receiving significant support calls on their models (which are all European release WPC11 v3.0's). Do you by any chance still have the failed cards so we can compare serial numbers?

Arnie,

Sticking my nose in, I have had the freeze up problem with a UsedHandhelds unit and have never asked them for support.

I have tried to isolate the problem in as many dimensions as possible:

1. Both MP900c and MP900c-a builds have the problem, either under line or battery power.

2. Separate WPC11s from different vendors have the problem :

sn B30303420922 and sn B30303422566

3. Different rom versions, including Cmonex's, have the problem.

4. The problem occurs both if the PRISM driver is either preloaded, as with the UserHandhelds or Cmonex's rom, or loaded manually.

5. The symptom is that a power key cycle with minutes in the off/suspended state will often not respond to the pwr key, or anything short of a soft reset.

6.The only thing that 'fixes' the problem is to leave the CF slot empty.

7. I am inclined to believe that the problem relates to the card power initialization sequence. The WPC11's driven by the PRISM drivers turn on their power LEDs essentially immediately. In contrast, a Orinoco silver/gold card with Agere? drivers delays 7 seconds before turning on its power LED, and it has no freezing problem. The theory would be that processor execution begins before the power lines are fully up and stable.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has a WPC11 card with a significant, visible turnon delay.

Regards, Don

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-06-05 10:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

DonL0001,

Glad to see you managed to log-in. I saw your problem report.

Incidentally it is:
C : A m i e

Not:
A r n i e

All I can say to that is to reiterate that none of us have experienced issues, and UsedHandheld's haven't been receiving reports on the subject. It is worth telling them this sort of thing.

Does it do it on AC?
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-06-05 12:25 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I think I tried Don's method and failed to succeed. I'll try it again and report the serial numbers when I return 10 days later from 2 consecutive conferences. I managed to update the firmware to a different Primary and Secondary versions but the problem is still there. BTW, I also have a Netgear MA401 card that simply does not detect WiFi signals at all (it does bring up the dialog with wireless info and TCP/IP info) though it does work on Win2K and WinXP pro.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-06-05 12:38 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2007-06-04 3:23 PM
We would also like to hear your opinions on the use of the graphics dogs (the watermarks) used in this review. Please let us know here.

The watermark looks cool. A well-written review by Clint as well, though many of us here still struggle with the Linksys card, as evidenced by the many threads on the subject. (I still struggle with my WCF12 card too. )

Edited by CE Geek 2007-06-05 12:39 PM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-06-05 1:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We must have the luck of the Irish

The watermarks are going to (probably) become a permanent feature. We're getting fed-up of seeing our reviews on eBay with users editing them to pretend they wrote it, and having us pay for the photo hosting!
Too many eBayers strip the sources, links and don't cite us for the privilege.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-06-05 2:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Think Clint'll want the watermark on the pool pic too?

4000th (official) post
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-06-05 2:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Congratulations on 4000.

We discussed putting them on all the images, my feeling was however that such a decision would be over-kill - plus all the extra work. If it goes on the main ones, it - I hope - will have the right effect.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-06-05 5:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2007-06-05 6:38 PM

The watermark looks cool. A well-written review by Clint as well, though many of us here still struggle with the Linksys card, as evidenced by the many threads on the subject. (I still struggle with my WCF12 card too. )

hmm wcf12, on which platform? i had no problems, used wpc11 driver and that was it. i thought only the wpc11 was problematic, but even the wcf12 too?
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-06-05 9:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Primarily H/PC 2000. I just put together a fully working J720 (from two with separate issues), which I'm giving to a colleague, and I intended to give her the WCF12 too. But even with nothing else installed, I can't get it to work on that 720. Tray icon stays red no matter how long I wait for DHCP. Tried putting in the static IP address - still no connection.

C:Amie, somehow it just seemed perfect to put the watermark over Clint's pool.
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2007-06-06 9:34 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2007-06-05 11:38 AM

Thanks CE Geek....

I've been reading all of the comments and I'm somewhat baffled. I had no problems at all using the card in the 900c.

I really encourage those who have had problems to contact UHH on it.
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2007-06-06 9:36 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2007-06-05 1:13 PM

Think Clint'll want the watermark on the pool pic too?

4000th (official) post

No, that's public domain. I kicked the mermaids out before I took the picture so nobody could claim 'em as being in their pool... That pic is just plain, generic "pool".

1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 33