x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netfront Application Hacking Cease and Desist Order

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2007-07-01 9:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

cmonex - 2007-07-01 4:25 PM

i wouldnt believe they would suspend sales of such a big software (a fully featured browser is no small app) just because some hpc users edited 2 bytes in the import table to get it to run.

I think it's the other way around: they suspended sales of Netfront 3.3 in preparation for the new version, despite the new one not being out. Obviously, they're done with 3.3 - why they finished with it before the new version is out confuses me, but, hey, it's their product.

Hex editing NF 3.3 is, they feel, a violation of their licensing agreement. Not having a copy of it myself, I can neither agree nor disagree with 'em, but, hey, they (and HPC Factor) believe they've got a strong case, and I'm not going to argue the point.

Who knows, maybe the new version either already has an HPC/HPC Pro version ported, or a port is in the works in-house. *shrug*
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2007-07-01 10:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2007-07-01 4:25 PM
. . . some hpc users edited 2 bytes in the import table to get it to run.

cmonex! Saying that is a violation!
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2007-07-02 1:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
theoak - 2007-07-01 12:12 AM

I hope Netfront people know that I, for one, bought and paid for a legal copy of Netfront 3.3 ONLY because this hack (that they complain about) made it possible to use it with my HPC. It really gets my goat that they are willing to take my money, but not support my device,AND they will not let someone else support their software.

I think I will ask for my money back and never buy from them again. Their browser is not much better anyway.

You might want to send them the request to supply an HPC version.
Just send them the hack, and tell them there is a small but profitable market still in HPC users interested in their software!
They might supply an 'adapt to HPC' program together with the new version (a small patcher)

They sell more, and we can buy a good and supported program. Everybody wins. (except those who only steal programs and don't want to buy any at all - you know, who buy a $3000PC and use a hijacked copy of MS-Office...).

Anyway, this kind of action landed me with a free license of some shareware software once from a small company - told them how to repair a bug, and improve a package for a larger market. Got a license number by return mail...

Michel ( using mostly legal software)

Edited by michelbel 2007-07-02 1:40 AM
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2007-07-02 7:58 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

michelbel - 2007-07-02 12:32 AM

You might want to send them the request to supply an HPC version.
Just send them the hack, and tell them there is a small but profitable market still in HPC users interested in their software!
They might supply an 'adapt to HPC' program together with the new version (a small patcher)

I think that is a great idea but one that the community would have to follow through on (ie, buy the bits if they made it). Some developers, in the past, have done such modifications only to find nobody will purchase it (at $9.95 or $19.95).
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-07-02 9:45 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Didn't you still have to purchase a registration key in order to run the HPC modified version?
 Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2007-07-02 10:57 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hurricane John - 2007-07-02 9:45 AM

Didn't you still have to purchase a registration key in order to run the HPC modified version?

Yes, bought and paid for!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-02 5:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

- which was exactly her point. As she said earlier, she wouldn't have paid the company to purchase a registration key in the first place if she couldn't use it on her H/PC. Do they want our business or not?
 Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2007-07-02 10:19 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Knee-jerk reaction to this thread is over....

An appeal to Access Netfront's owners:

Please support our devices!!!!!!!!! We really would buy your product (and already have!). Some people just hack to get free stuff, but many hack because this is the only way to get the product. I am also buying Conduits Pocket Artist, and Softmaker's Office Suite (not cheap software) BECAUSE THEY SUPPORT OUR DEVICES! And because their software is good quality. I have also purchased games, bought a wifi card from Alpaxo (because of his drivers) and am looking to purchase a copy of Jeode Java. Others here have also bought your product (and other softwares). Please reconsider supporting our devices. Don't make us spend our money with other vendors, because we will, if we have to.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-03 2:49 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well said, theoak.
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2007-07-04 7:00 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I understand the trouble caused to the owners of this forum. However, why don't they just delete all threads and posts related to Netfront, in order to prevent further problems ?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-07-04 7:16 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

well, the search doesn't work anyway
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2007-07-05 12:23 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Top of the page
PDAfan Page Icon Posted 2007-07-05 3:02 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Is there anyway to determine how many HPC users (like me) HAVE purchased a Netfront Key after finding that Netfront works (for the most part) on HPC devices? Can someone set up a poll? ACCESS doesn't even have to provide anything new, just Netfront 3.3 for HPC and end it there. It works better than anything else I've tried.

Am I going to get in trouble if I write to them and say I have purchased a license that I wouldn't otherwise have purchased if not for the "illegal" modifications enabling it to run Netfront on my unsupported device?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2007-08-26 11:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Not familiar with this stuff...but are you saying if someone runs executibility check and alters a version label on any generic ppc or other WinCE software...they can never mention this in these forums. How can someone who stumbles into making such an "infringement" if it be so...expect to be treated...the post withheld...or thrown out of the forum?

Does this include registry alterations like IE user agent? I'm not running scared here...but this sounds too nebulous and perhaps draconian...I doubt that anyone can win a case against the web site owners by holding them responsible for the content of each post about largely theoretical alterations...they would have to prove you the owner distributed altered code it seems to me...otherwise its just another form of corporate terrorism...sending out their legal goons to make lots of noise...EULAs have limited reach and are open to interpretation.

IP law is open to interpretation...who would buy a music mp3 believing that they could not use it in snippets and pieces for a personal home video. Seems to me there are rights that supercede this absolutism in EULAs...that is the right of the purchasing individual to use said product as they please so long as they do not distribute or sell it. I would very much like to discuss this matter with the Netfront attorneys...they have delusions of grandeur and they need to clarify their position and recognize their control over such minor personal variations in the implementation is very limited, impractical, and ridiculously expensive to pursue. What? is microsoft gonna threaten to sue everyone who alters the registry on windows media center so that logging onto it as a domain is possible..ie so it acts as win xp pro(its core engine)..or if someone alters the boot logo. What nonsense.

Eulas are there to attempt to prevent what so many computer corporations do..namely pirate the works of others...as well as preventing the wholesale stealing and copying and selling of counterfeit
software...ala China. They are not about threatening and intimidating a small web site about "hearsay" evidence concerning possibly imaginary code alterations by "suspected" users. I cannot see how the US Federal Trade Commission would look very favorably on these bullying tactics from such a company...especially since said software was purchased by the consumer for use on his or her device.

It would not surprise me to find that said intimidation and cease and desist order comes from a low level attorney or legal assistant just trying to keep his job by brewing up imaginary infringements and trying to look busy.

I hope someone has the courage to see that this post makes its way to the Netfront legal team and even better yet to the supervisor of the supervisor of said team. They had better watch their steps...very carefully! It doesn't take much bad publicity to put a software company out of business these days (which is probably their main concern). we all, of course, hope they remain successful...but its hard to see how given this poor demonstration of character on their part.

Ever see that Yosemite Sam logo: Back Off Varmit! Pay heed...

If those Netfront folks were in the drivers seat, I suppose they'd have that 17 year old who just hacked the iPhone locked up somewhere! Yet he is seen as a hero here!

thanks ...please have the courage to send this on to them.

Remember...everything is negotiable!

All the best

Edited by joval 2007-08-27 12:25 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-26 11:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, if it doesn't clearly state in the EULA that you can't alter the software, then there shouldn't be a legal problem. GPL software is thus not a problem as long as you distribute it with the original source code. I also have some freeware apps where the only term to which you have to agree is that, if you provide copies of the software to others, said copies must be in their original form.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12