x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help Wanted: Reviews Writer

1 2 3 4 5
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-10 6:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Of course ideally it would be lovely to hand things out, but I think that is something of a pretentious view-point. I also think it would be foolish of us to refuse unsolicited articles, and until volunteers are comfortable (if ever), detrimental for us to be 'assigning' what people review - it's a mutual process. OK, we like to be professional about it, but this site is a community. The 'staff' are not on payroll.

What I would prefer is that anyone interested let us (Clint) know what they want to review, discuss their personal time constraints and come to a mutually beneficial timetable. If we need to get you software to review we'll factor that in, and of course add a month so you can get used to it (if you have no experience of the app).

If you want to review something which you don't already own, i.e. we need to get it for you, we will need to see a sample of your writing first (preferably reviewing something that you do already own). This has always been policy and I think it is fair.
We will do our best on getting peripheral hardware requests, but know that software is usually a lot easier.

If you want to review an older model H/PC, just have a look at the 'Flashback' reviews. They are the template.

We decide when to publish it. Reviews go into a scheduling stack. If you miss your slot you get scowled at by me (a lot) and it goes to the back of the queue. Review release day is Monday. Editorial with FP graphical coverage is Monday. Editorial with non-graphical coverage can go up any time. This policy ensures that graphics get at least 1 week on the FP.

After that the graphic moves to the reviews section home page, and finally is archived in the review artwork section.
All reviews and editorial are entered onto the reviews index; everything is assigned a perma-link.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2007-07-10 7:42 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

clintonfitchdotwife - 2007-07-09 10:28 PM

I would assume that the staff would prefer to choose who reviews what (and when) but I am also reading the interpretation of c:amie's post that the staff might accept any review to read & evaluate for themselves the content value of posting any unsolicited articles?

Do I assume correctly on this point?

That's correct. We will gladly read over any review that some sends to us unsolicited. In fact some of you do that already. I will read over the review and communicate with you any changes that need to be made and if the review has been accepted.

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-10 2:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2007-07-10 3:03 AM
If you want to review something which you don't already own, i.e. we need to get it for you, we will need to see a sample of your writing first (preferably reviewing something that you do already own). This has always been policy and I think it is fair.

Well as Clint knows, I've already sent a sample of my writing - but I don't think there's anything left that I don't own.

(runs off to check device review list)

Edited by CE Geek 2007-07-10 2:47 PM
theoak Page Icon Posted 2007-07-10 4:13 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I thoroughly enjoy this site and would not mind contributing a review here or there. I had been contemplating a review of the Sigmarion III, but have held back because (to be perfectly honest) I got a bum unit with screen problems. It kind of dampened my zeal for singing the praises of the device. Anyway, if you want a review (leaving out the bad screen experience) let me know.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-31 5:55 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sorry theoak, I missed your reply originally and I see now that Clint hasn't responded either

If you are still willing to do this, we would be very interested in reading your review, and apologies again for the tardy public reply.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-21 11:32 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Everything went quiet again, no one has sent anything or asked for anything
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-11-21 1:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Fear not, O ye Administrator. I've had a few ideas lodged in my brain - just haven't pried them out yet.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-21 2:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have an image now of me opening a door labelled "CE Geek Dept." and as I push the door open the room falls silent, all eyes on me.
300 chimps with type writers looking ever so annoyed at my disturbing them.

... I close the door quietly and return to the dank, dark basement room branded "Chris's Office".
"At least insurgent gets airconditioning in the server cupboard", I think to myself. "That must be nice".
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-11-21 4:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx, C:Amie - now the secret's out.
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-11-23 8:02 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi, I am also doing Sig3 review and dissassembly guide (just waiting for permission to use some photos as mine turned out terriblly).

John
theoak Page Icon Posted 2007-12-01 5:31 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Been a while since I looked here. I have partially completed my review of the Sigmarion III. I just wanted to include info on average battery life. Not so good. I think I have a rather old battery. Do you want this potentially misleading info?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-12-01 5:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's for Clinton to decide upon final edits, but I would like to see something on the battery in there. May be a straw poll of SigIII users on their average (standard rating) battery experiences and, er, average that value
theoak Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 3:53 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sent an email Sigmarion III review in for review.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-12-08 6:23 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

theoak, thanks; I don't see it in my email (may be you sent it to Clint, if so, that's great); I do not trust our mail server this week though, I have been losing so much email. If you don't get an RSVP on it in good time, please make some noise over PM.

I am still waiting for Insurgent to come back to me on the mail server
theoak Page Icon Posted 2007-12-08 4:46 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie,

I emailed it to clinton (since he was the one that started the thread). I have received no reply, so maybe he did not get it....(or maybe it was that bad?)

I don't see an email address for you, and I did not see a way of attaching a file to PM.

Or do you want me to upload it to your server?
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 55 - Executed queries : 26