x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: SoftMaker Office 2006

1 2 3 4
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-07-11 6:00 AM
#
H/PC Elite

cmonex: Sure, some people dont run into certain problems others have, but there are also numerous people that have the *same* problem. Why? Who knows, but it happens.

Ahh the saga continues.... i accused no company of stealing anything, i just said its possible. Various coders/companies do it all the time. Legal? No. But it happens.

Again my initial post was a "humor" post that some of you seem to have read as "OMG! He's accusing blah blah blah"... it was a joke, get over it.

chiark: We'd be on topic if you hadnt gone rambo on my post to begin with. Also, if that post is so "offensive", delete it.

Have a wonderful day.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-11 6:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

RTFM - 2007-07-11 12:18 AM
Doesnt it strike you as a bit fishy that Abiword has its own format .abw... and TM has .tmd?
If you are keen to know take a sample of the same document in each format and compare their formatting structure in a text editor and or a hex editor. There are only so many different ways you can markup text information though. It takes less than 15 seconds to invent your own file type and make it run under Windows, so I do not see anything 'fishy' about it.

If (and understanding that I know nothing about Abiword), IF there was a source issue then it should be taken up with GPL. However I have always found the SoftMaker team straight lace and a good bunch and any assumed similarity is going to have to end on the doorstep of WinCE because the code is not that exportable.

Anyway, until anybody can prove otherwise, quit flaming. There is a reason i live in America.. FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
I must admit that as a non-American I always have found it insulting when people say this. You seem to imply that the rest of us don't have this right, and you are a beacon of light in the perpetual darkness. Trust me my friend, you are not.

Chiark is free to consider your comment rude to the developer, just as you are free to choose not to. I have no beef with either of you or anyone for stating private opinions, so long as it continues to remain friendly.

Sch01ar: I applaud you for giving your 'own' experience. Every time i post about mine i get the same answer.. " That never happens on mine" .." you did something wrong " etc etc etc.
To me this implies that you do not like people replying with "I haven't seen that comments". Which in itself implies to me that in this regard you would rather people be refrained from having their opinion...
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-07-11 6:22 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

RTFM, I thought your post was so wrong it was worth going rambo* on. I shall shut up now

*Rambo is a registered trademark **
** Attempt at humour
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2007-07-11 8:37 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

Sch01ar - 2007-07-10 4:30 PM

In my own experience, and I'm aware that I seem to be the only person saying this, but ... I find memory problems and crashing on opening files not infrequent occurances. Also TM 06 is too slow for me. Sure it runs swiftly on the Smartbook, but on the Jornada it is noticeably slower than 2002. NEC performance is worse; I ebayed a 900c but the typing bug makes it unusable for me. Again my experience with Softmaker support - the big 2002 version row a year ago on their boards, which CMONEX will recall - differs considerably

Interesting discovery Sch01ar...

On the first few releases and service packs of 2002 I had similar issues with TextMaker but as they went along it got better. For me, 2006 was a huge benefit, even on my Jornada 720. I found it to be much faster and much, much more stable than 2002. On the 900c it seemed to run about the same speed as 2002.
Leonard_Caplan Page Icon Posted 2007-07-11 11:23 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

When I tried the demo version a couple of months ago I found that there was a bug that does not allow printing from a J720 nor J728 directly to a printer. I am not sure if this is true from any other CE device.

I reported it through their support foum, and was advised that it is a "bug", and it would be fixed in the next service pack. It is now 2 months, and there in no new service pack, and no way to print from a document using TM 2006 from either if these Jornada. I would have bought the full version, but have not, with the fear that they will just wait until the release of SM Office 2007, and then charge for the upgrade, as they do now when a new version comes out.

Len
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2007-07-13 3:57 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

clintonfitchdotcom - 2007-07-11 8:37 AM

On the first few releases and service packs of 2002 I had similar issues with TextMaker but as they went along it got better. For me, 2006 was a huge benefit, even on my Jornada 720. I found it to be much faster and much, much more stable than 2002. On the 900c it seemed to run about the same speed as 2002.

Textmaker is a hugely complex piece of software. It probably interacts with whatever we already have installed. Even different languages may effect how well it works; I found it stopped crashing on opening and saving documents if i removed the hyphenation file from the DIR.

I still find TM 2002 rev 397 to be the fastest and the most stable, especially with MIPS devices, and after much discussion you can now get this from the SM site if you email or PM them, but only for registered users.

S

Encore *-Guest_*
Encore *-Guest_* Page Icon Posted 2007-07-13 11:43 AM
#
hey just passin by, cmonex, thanks I've tried that out and I'll get the other mb's of fonts over someday...
encore
encore Page Icon Posted 2007-07-13 11:46 AM
#

encore: even wordpad seems to support this font if you copy the windows xp lucida font (.ttf) into \windows\fonts on the 900c.
so i'm sure textmaker does too.

Edited by cmonex 2007-07-09 7:07 PM

Sorry being lazy should have quoted this
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2007-07-14 6:26 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Leonard_Caplan - 2007-07-11 11:23 PM

...It is now 2 months, and there in no new service pack,
Len

Neither are there the promised service packs to read and write in the new MS Office XML formats - the only reason to bother with SM Office 2006 IMHO.
encore
encore Page Icon Posted 2007-07-21 12:09 PM
#
Hey I'm not going to read everyone elses problems with Textmaker and their own devices just throw in my 2 pennies.

I have a 900c with custom Rom and have used the trial of softmaker 2006 for CE. Its great, everythings is their like on a desktop but with way more (I've recently upgraded to office2000 )

Its not as easy to use as a desktop of course due to hardware limitations but I found it to be stable, so far of course, and with some skipping about a perfect way to produce well formatted documents.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-07-26 11:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i forgot i wanted to try CeSetThreadPriority on textmaker on the 900c regarding keyboard prob

tried it now. seems to work.
by default i'd only get the problem only if i intentionally try to type fast.. but then i do get it. now with this i dont get skipped letters.. no matter how hard i tried. but then i don't type at 140wpm.

same theory as isotherm's IE fix btw... lower priority for textmaker - now i dont know how well that works in the long run (see, messing with priorities isn't always good), so if someone would be willing then we could test the thing. my email is as always contactchan at freemail.hu

p.s: on the other hand, increasing priority for keyboard of course didnt work but had to try

Edited by cmonex 2007-07-26 11:40 PM
encore
encore Page Icon Posted 2007-07-27 2:42 PM
#
hey email the registry keys to change and i'll test it. i don't type really fast but faster than the 900c!
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-07-27 7:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sorry i wasnt clear.. it isnt a registry key

CeSetThreadPriority is some API..

i'll send the program (very small btw, all it does is set this) and let's see
encore
encore Page Icon Posted 2007-07-28 8:46 AM
#
lol, silly me

send away
almen
almen Page Icon Posted 2007-09-13 6:39 PM
#
Hello!
This keyboard lagging issue seams like a big problem to me (as a potential 900c owner). Can anybody confirm if this can be fixed the way you suggested?
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 28