x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Some deals over @ half.com

thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-04-06 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I just nabed a Jornada 820 for $107.50 w/shipping 2 more @ under $150.00
Just thought i'd let you know

half.com
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 8:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

My My!
Let us know how you get on, that's terrific!
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 12:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

thcrw739 - 2005-04-06 10:36 PM

I just nabed a Jornada 820 for $107.50 w/shipping 2 more @ under $150.00
half.com

...not meaning to rain on your parade but I have purchased items, mostly books, from half.ebay.com for several years. I watched the site go sharply downhill after ebay bought it three years ago.

...There are two cautions about buying electronics from half.ebay.com. Affecting all items, the first thing eBay did when they bought half.com was remove the minimum rule that all items had to be AT LEAST half the price of new. Hense, the name "half.com". The second was ebay made it nearly impossible to contact half.com staff. A toll free number and an email address was prominantly displayed on the home page, greatly discouraging rip-offs.

I saw the site go in six months from a safe fixed price e-store, to buy to a "buyer beware" site, after eBay bought it. I used to regularly warn Half.com staff about potential scams and they took immediate action. Last month, I tried to notify Half.com about very misleading postings of Jornada 680/690-s and could not find a way to contact Half.com staff. I finally tried to do something about the dishonesty through the owner, eBay. The only way I could do that is ask my eBay retailer friends how they contact eBay, as there is no way for consumers to do so. (I know about the contact security route but weird things happen, after lengthy weeding through highly specialized menus and then trying to send your email - a weird 'failed message' is the result.

As a long term eBay buyer and consultant who teaches people how to establish & run an eBay business, I warn you that the only safe way to buy eBay is to use Paypal (or some other reputable third party transaction service). They do protect you from fraud. The same goes even more for half.ebay.com

The issue by the way was that several sellers were listing used J 680e devices as having dual stereo speakers, stereo head phone jacks & installed MP3 players. I emailed all five sellers about this and they 'assured me that the sound was wonderful'

On consumer boards like Clark Howard's, a major complaint posted about half.com purchases is serious misrepresentation of mobile device battery condition & to lessor extent, misrepresentation of use, condition & specs.

Even for an expert buyer, each buy from eBay is a crapshoot. All purchases of electronic devices from half.ebay.com is a BIG Gamble.

...Of course...this is all merely my humble opinion...

--Bruised

Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 12:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Its cool, I've delt with Ebay and half many times....Never had a problem on the buyer side of things....could allways be a first, but then again like said its a gamble.. but better than Sticking my money in this video poker over here in vegas land...Allthough i did get 2 royal flushes in 2 days on the nckel machines...thats what help me buy this nifty hpc
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-11 6:54 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

My post was meant as a caution to regular people who have never used half.ebay.com, not to the lucky few or the psychic. My analysis stands. I buy off eBay a lot and I have set up several people with successful eBay businesses. I say that no matter how expert a person is, each eBay buy is a crapshoot. The half.com situtation is worse than a crapshoot.

Half.com was founded as a safer alternative to eBay. Unfortunately, the owners decided to sell to eBay. It is my finding that half.ebay.com is LESS safe than eBay for buyers because sellers are not policed anymore. I refer people to the specific example I gave in which EVERY seller of a Jornada 680e was falsely advertising the specs, when I called them on it only one replied and he tried to tell me that his 680s had factory installed dual stereo speakers and a stereo head phone socket.

These ads may still be up. Before anyone buys electronics from Half.com, I strongly suggest you search the J 680e ads and then look for a way to notify half.com staff about the fraud. There is no way to contact staff.

It is my conclusion that eBay bought half.com to tap into its customer base and reputation. Do several half.com product searches and you will see that eBay is constantly trying to divert half.com shoppers to eBay. Once the customer base is shifted to eBay (about two more years tops) you will see half.com shut down by eBay.

As I posted, I buy only books through half.com from several large book sellers I know to be reputatble. How much business do I do through half.com? A few hundred dollars a week. I locate hard to find books for a side business.

If you buy from half.com, I strongly advise people to do so ONLY using paypal or some such reputable third party you know gives you protection from fraud or misrepresentation. Unless someone can give me a concrete detailed path for calling or emailing a complaint to half.com (a way that I can verify), my caution stands. half.com is big time: BUYER BEWARE.

...Of course...this is all my humbled opinion...

--Bruised
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9