x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ANN: HPC:Factor H/PC:Update 1.0 Goes Live!

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-14 11:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The HPC:Factor team is very pleased to unveil to the community our latest web site service here on hpcfactor.com.

H/PC:Update is a single point of contact where Windows CE based Handheld PC users can centrally download all known updates, patches, fixes and OEM released utilities (and more) for their PDA device and is a must for any Handheld PC owner.

H/PC:Update follows on from existing well received and highly successful web services such as the Hardware Compatiblity List 4.0 and the Handheld PC Specifications system. H/PC:Update compliments the HPC:Factor Devices & Specifications systems, offering downloads for all of the same devices irrespective of whether they run Windows CE 1.0 or 6.0.

H/PC:Update contains in excess of 1.3 GB of downloads organised into a broad number of categories which are all offered through a single, easy to use interface which has been designed to look familiar to users of Microsoft Windows Update on the PC.

HPC:Factor H/PC:Update is a free member service offered by us for the benefit of the broader Handheld PC community. Registration (also free) is required in the HPC:Factor Community before you can make use of the service, which is anticipated to be popular amongst new users, existing users and eBay sellers alike.

H/PC:Update has been designed and developed by HPC:Factor and is available exclusively via hpcfactor.com. It can be accessed at any time through the Support and Tutorials section.

We wouldlike to extend our thanks to those users who have taken part in the H/PC:Update beta testing process over the last few months. Their input, as ever, has helped make the project run smoothly.

View: H/PC:Update
 Top of the page Quote Reply
torch Page Icon Posted 2007-07-14 1:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Chris, I'm glad you went public with this. This is the best news for H/PC users . Thank you!
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2007-07-14 2:54 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Wow! That is beautiful!
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-14 3:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thank-you.

It runs amazingly well, by the time you actually get to the aggregator (the categories, download etc) you have made all necessary requests to the database. The entire remainder of your visit happens in server memory, so it is really very fast.
I am very pleased with it.

It is also something of a closing of a book for me. I came up with the idea of doing this way back in 2002, before HPC:Factor even existed. I wanted to offer people:
A way to get updates for their H/PC
A way to find out about compatible accessories
A way to get driver downloads
A way to exchange links
A place to find support

That was my aim for ce320, which became HPC:Factor. You might recognise that I have now put a tick in all of those boxes!
- H/PC:Update
- HCL
- HCL
- Community Links Directory
- CESD/Forums (although the forums were not part of it, they were Clint and John's desire)

I had to learn how to do it along the way, all the programming, all the databases, get under the bonnet of IIS; none are my day job So as you can see it has been a great learning curve for me.
I hope that the community gets as much from it/them as I did creating them.

I cannot pretend that every update ever released is in there (though a maority of them are I would hasten to add). If anyone has something to contribute to any of the devices listed. Please send it along and I will get it added. Don't be shy, I don't bite... usually
gowing5754 Page Icon Posted 2007-07-14 8:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Congratulations, as a newbie here it answers so many questions I Have. Thankyou for your hard work.

REgards

Charles
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2007-07-14 10:22 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

Chris,

A thank you as well for all the back end work you did to make H/PC:Update a success! :-)

richl Page Icon Posted 2007-07-15 1:46 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Wonderful layout and downloads.
Thank you
Rich L.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-15 2:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I don't know how you find time to do all this stuff, C:Amie. I gotta say this is the one of the most professionally designed sites I've ever visited.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-15 6:00 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thank-you all.

CE Geek, it mainly boils down to having an under developed social life and no girlfriend. A few hours in the evening here, a few hours there. It is substituting one mistress for another (joke)

I never did find:

Velo 500 International Keyboard Software Upgrade (CE2.00)
Velo500Patch.exe

==============

Velo 1 CE 2.0 Telephone Connectivity Kit's

UK: setup2gb.exe
NL: setup2nl.exe

============
Photolink 1.0.68 for Sharp HC-4600 (CE2.00)
hmny1068.exe

============

The NetBook Pro wants some attention too (in fact quite a few devices do)

Again I ask, if anyone out there can help, I would love to hear from them
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-07-16 7:42 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Just wanted to add my kudos....excellent job on H/PC:Update 1.0.
VinVin Page Icon Posted 2007-07-19 11:20 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I want to add my thanks. See my thread http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9133&pos... . As you see a cab file for a Jornada 720 worked onn a NEC 900C.
theoak Page Icon Posted 2007-07-19 8:42 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Very nice indeed! Well arranged, very comprehensive. A great addition to the site.
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2007-07-20 12:55 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Are additional updates for existing devices in the list and updates for devices not already in the list being accepted?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-20 5:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

They certainly are
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-07-20 6:10 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Superb job, sir. Simply superb!

Where would you like the updates?